{Thermomix Thursday} Chocolate Mousse

“A chocolate mousse made in the Thermomix, that is also great for icing cakes!”

I have tried a few mousse recipes in my time, but always go back to one. It was one my ex’s mum passed onto me, and you can add any chocolate bar chopped up of your choice and it’s aways good. One Easter I put peppermint crisp through it, and then served it in hollow Easter eggs on egg cups. It was a domestic goddess moment I tells ya!

I was having a bit of an inventive afternoon and wanted chocolate mousse to put between layers of cake and over the top of it, but couldn’t be bothered finding my faithful chocolate mousse recipe. So whilst I was busy Thermomixing away, I decided the try the recipe from the Everyday cookbook.

Woweeee, what a decadent chocolate mousse! Silky smooth, rich, chocolate heaven…. and it worked well on it’s own and on the cake. I preferred it more on the cake than on it’s own, as after about 2 spoonfuls you’ll hit a wall because it’s so rich. Cake recipe will follow another week 😉

Easy Chocolate Mousse

From the Everyday Cookbook

• 4 large eggs, room temperature, separated
  • pinch of cream of tartar
  • 80g icing sugar (made in TM)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
  • 60g unsalted butter
  • 40g warm water
  • 220g dark chocolate
  • 400g cream
  1. Heat empty TM bowl for 2 minutes at 50ºC on speed 2.
  2. Insert Butterfly. Place egg whites into TM bowl with cream of tartar and beat for 4 minutes on speed 4 with the MC off.
  3. Through hole in lid, add ½ the sugar, 1 teaspoon at a time during the last minute. Set aside in large bowl. Remove Butterfly.
  4. Without cleaning, place egg yolks, remaining sugar, vanilla bean paste, butter, warm water and chocolate into TM bowl. Cook for 4 minutes at 70ºC on speed 3.
  5. Add to remaining egg whites.
  6. Without cleaning bowl, insert Butterfly and pour cream into TM bowl. Beat for 20-40 seconds on speed 4 until thickened.
  7. Fold all gently together with a large spoon. Pour into 6-8 dessert glasses and chill for at least 3 hours.

————–

Styling Notes:
Strawberry plate – thrifted from the Salvation Army Op Shop
Mini serving plate – Made in Japan Outlet
Serving glass – Ikea 365+ Irvig Wine Glass – Ikea
Plastic spoon – acquired somehow, can’t remember!

Comments

20 comments on “{Thermomix Thursday} Chocolate Mousse
  1. Kristy @ Southern In-Law - October 4, 2012 at 7:29 am

This looks so thick and yum! I can definitely see why you’d only want a little bit!

2. Food is our religion - October 4, 2012 at 7:41 am

looks so pretty and easy – that’s my type of cooking hehehe

3. Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today - October 4, 2012 at 7:59 am

A recipe for a good chocolate mousse is not easy to find. I’ll surly try yours if it’s as good as you’re writing :)

4. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - October 4, 2012 at 8:10 am

Ohhhhh ohhhh ohhhh :) That glass is from IKEA? I was about to ask you hehe ~ it looks so pretty and I have been on the hunt for good glasses to make desserts in for a while hehe thanks for the tip!

Now you’ve got very very VERY interested and intrigued about this mousse in an Easter egg idea! Have you blogged about it? Can you please please blog about it 😀 Hope you have a lovely Thursday and ENJOY the weather!

5. Christina @ The Hungry Australian - October 4, 2012 at 9:22 am

Lovely recipe. I adore chocolate mousse. I’ve never put in a cake before though – will have to give it a go!

6. Nic@diningwithastud - October 4, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I love mousse. It goes down too easily for me though lol. p.s. cutest. Spoon. Ever!

7. Winnie @ Eat.Play.Shop. - October 4, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Yum, I haven’t tried that from the EDC yet but it looks like I should.
    Love your styling notes for the posts by the way!

8. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef - October 4, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I love the strawberry plate. I’ve made this mousse too and I thought it was too rich to eat a bucketful too. Look forward to the cake!

9. Sarah - October 5, 2012 at 10:39 am

That looks beautifully smooth and decadent! I love that you’ve started adding styling notes to your posts – such a great idea!

10. Cynthia - October 5, 2012 at 7:50 pm

I can’t wait to see how it covers a cake – very curious!

11. Gourmet getaways - October 5, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Oh this look so delicious!!! Especially in the cake YUMMY! I haven’t made mousse for ages but I too have made one with peppermint crisp and loved it!! I love you styling tips on the bottom of the post, great idea :)

12. Christine @ Cooking Crusade - October 6, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Yum, I love chocolate mousse :) Must be so simple to whip up in the TM as well – I’d love to get one of them one day!

13. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake - October 7, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Love a good chocolate mousse, would definitely try your recipe! Looks so yummy. :)

14. Adrian (Food Rehab) - October 8, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Ahuh, decadent indeed! LIKE your massive photos!

15. Yasmeen @ Wandering Spice - October 8, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Why, oh why, must you tempt me with your chocolate ways? I’ve been trying to get back on the health bandwagon since we got back from our honeymoon… in July.

But this looks too good to pass up!

16. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - October 9, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I adore mousse by have never made it myself. Mmmmm great inspiration!

17. Tina @ bitemeshowme - October 10, 2012 at 10:17 am

Looks great! Really wishing some of these receipes were thermomix free. Otherwise I really need to go and invest in one! Haha. Love those glasses!!

18. Julie - October 10, 2012 at 11:30 am

Definitely looks like a great pairing with cake

I love the styling notes you added in your blog posts :).

All content on this site by Shellie Froidevaux, otherwise known as Iron Chef Shellie. Her skills include food styling in her kitchen studio, lifestyle and travel photography across Australia, restaurant photography on location, building social media for her clients, recipe development with love, menu consulting for cafes and graphic design for people with discerning tastes :)