Chocolate Banoffee Pie

“As if banoffee pie wasn't indulgent enough; I give you, chocolate banoffee pie!”

Banoffee
Chocolate Banoffee Pie

Chocolate Banoffee Pie

First of all.. welcome to my new blog layout! I only just applied it after procrastinating when do it. I’m still working a few things out, so it should all take shape shortly, so bear with me for now! I seem to get bored easily, so it was time for a change. I have already had html error fun, so hopefully I won’t have too much more of it! The babuska dolls will be back, once I figure out how I want them to be in here 😛

I seem to have fallen off the Sweet Adventures Blog Hop bandwagon, but I was determined to do this one. Once I saw the theme I scratched my head for a while, then realised I finally had an excuse to try making banoffee pie! Thanks to The Kitchen Crusader for hosting this month.

I hadn’t heard of banofffee pie until a few years ago, so naturally I thought I was missing out on something amazing. But can I tell you, I didn’t not fall in love with banoffee pie. My waistline is appreciative of this! I think it’s mainly because I don’t like cream on it’s own that much. When I have cream on my scones I don’t have too much, and perhaps I could have done with less cream on my pie. The caramel was delicious, and bananas make it healthy…er. I tried with the addition of coconut flakes too, mostly likely not traditional, but my twist!

Oh and whilst we are on the subject of me not loving cream all that much, on my 16th birthday I happened to be travelling around Switzerland and my family, and my family members who live in Switzerland bought me a cake. That cake was basically 98% cream!! I had a couple of mouthfuls to be polite but couldn’t do anymore. Then one of my grand aunties, bless her heart, ate the rest of my slice after polishing off hers! I still shudder at the thought of that cake!

Perhaps I’m the only one, but when I hear banoffee pie, I think of the Little Britan Fat Fighters skit. I tried to find a youtube clip but there wasn’t one… and that makes me a sad panda.

Chocolate Banoffee Pie

Valli Little – [source]

• 250g dark chocolate digestive biscuits
  • 180g unsalted butter
  • 1 tbs Dutch cocoa powder, plus extra to dust
  • 1/2 firmly packed cup (100g) brown sugar
  • 395g can condensed milk
  • 75g dark chocolate, melted
  • 1 tbs golden syrup
  • 300ml thickened cream
  • 2 small bananas, sliced
  1. Finely crumb biscuits in a food processor. Melt 80g butter and add to crumbs with cocoa. Process to combine. Press into six 10cm loose-bottomed tart pans. Chill for 20 minutes until bases are firm.
  2. Place sugar and remaining butter in a pan over low heat, stirring, until butter has melted. Add condensed milk and stir over low heat for 5 minutes or until mixture is a thick, golden caramel. Remove from heat, then add chocolate and golden syrup, stirring to combine. Fill tart shells with caramel mixture, smoothing tops with a palette knife. Chill for at least 1 hour to set.
  3. Whip cream until soft peaks form. When ready to serve, place tarts on plates, top with sliced banana and whipped cream, then dust with cocoa.

Makes 6.

Chocolate Banoffee Pie

Comments

52 comments on “Chocolate Banoffee Pie
  1. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - June 18, 2012 at 9:10 pm

awesome! lovely new design!! Never had a banoffee pie… looks good!

2. Lauren - June 18, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Yum! I love that they look like little pie flowers :)

3. Kristy @ Southern In-Laaw - June 18, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Yummmm, this looks SO good Shellie :) I love bananas and chocolate together, they’re the perfect match.

4. Food is our religion - June 18, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Love this whole new website! and the banoffee pie looks so pretty!

5. Piggyeatalot - June 18, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I don’t like a lot of cream either but the digestive biscuits sounds awesommmmmmeeee!

6. Maureen - June 18, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Everything looks good around here, especially that gorgeous pie!

7. Cara @ Gourmet Chick - June 18, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Love the new design – really clean and lovely. Reminds me mine is long overdue a redesign! Plus this banoffee pie looks just sensational…

8. Alana - June 18, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Aw the bananas look like a little flower! This pie looks great and I like your method of making caramel with condensed milk; will have to give that a try sometime soon.

9. Kelly - June 19, 2012 at 1:23 am

Was just talking about banoffee pie few hours ago! This is too tempting.

10. Tina @ bitemeshowme - June 19, 2012 at 8:34 am

I do love the look of this layout – a complete change :) I hadn’t heard of banoffee pie all that long ago either and I’ve just fallen in love with it. Yours is a recipe i must try! x

11. Mez - June 19, 2012 at 9:49 am

First of all, love, LOVE the new blog layout you’re working on!
    Now this pie, it’s all well and good but I am NOT down with the poisonous bananas you put on top.
    NO wrong town!
    That’s ok though, you can totally make me one without banana hahahaahahaaa

xox

12. Sneh | Cook Republic - June 19, 2012 at 10:18 am

Very slick layout … love it! Great job Michelle!

13. Nic@diningwithastud - June 19, 2012 at 11:27 am

Lol @ the skit! I saw one the other day that was brilliant. Love that show. I love your pie :) I’ve always wanted to try banoffee pie. Looks fab, and yeah bananas totall make it healthy 😉 thanks for joining the hop!

14. Jackie - June 19, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Redesign looks good! I hope the babushka dolls make a roaring comeback :)

15. Jennifer (Delicieux) - June 19, 2012 at 4:08 pm

First off, love the new sleek design Shellie, but I do miss the babushka dolls. Glad to hear they will be coming back.

Like you I don’t like cream, so didn’t like banoffee pie at first either, but then I had the most amazing chocolate banoffee pie at my favourite restaurant and that immediately changed my mind. I’m going to have to try this recipe and see if it’s like the one that converted me.

• Iron Chef Shellie - June 19, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Thanks Jennifer! I promise they will be popping up soon :) I will miss them too much too!

16. Hannah - June 19, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Gorgeous new site! I, too, have never liked cream, and always felt guilty for not really wanting Dad’s Black Forest Cake after he’d spent hours making it 😛 With banoffee pies (which I also haven’t eaten), I kinda just want the caramel 😛

• Iron Chef Shellie - June 20, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Thanks babe! aww your poor Dad’s feelings!! The caramel was the best bit :)

17. Jackie B - June 19, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Ooooh Shellie 😉 I am loving your new layout and design. Very posh and OMG banoffee pie looks fantastic! I want to make this one day. Thanks for the recipe.

18. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - June 19, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Lovely new design Shellie! I’m hoping to get mine done some day but I’ve been waiting for a few years now lol. Delicious looking bannoffee pie too and I like the chocolate variation! 😀

19. Adrian (Food Rehab) - June 19, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Yipee! Diggin the new layout! And what a way to celebrate with a dose of banoffee pie

20. Chanel - June 20, 2012 at 10:18 am

This looks so amazing Shellie – as you now know I couldn’t get pie out of my head yesterday! 😉

21. Tania @ A Perfect Pantry - June 20, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I love the way this pie looks.. .would make a gorgeous centre piece at my next tea party:)

22. JJ @ 84thand3rd - June 20, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Adorable little pies, I adore anything with a chocolate crust. Glad you’ve rejoined us! If you like coconut maybe try whipped coconut cream next time instead of proper whipped cream (I’m not so much a fan either!)

• Iron Chef Shellie - June 21, 2012 at 11:50 am

There should be more things with a chocolate crust! Ah yes, I’ve tried whipped coconut cream before, agree, it’s much nicer!

23. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - June 21, 2012 at 11:32 am

I love the new layout Shellie :) I thought I left a message but I think i must’ve tweeted you hehe ~ Banoffee pie is definitely one of my favourites hehe i can’t wait to try your recipe 😀

24. Spencer - June 22, 2012 at 11:30 am

Looks absolutely delicious! I would so love to try some. I reckon I would polish the lot off in 5 minutes flat!

25. Monica (@gastromony) - June 22, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Oh wow! Just when I thought you couldn’t make a Banoffee more irresistible, you added chocolate! Sigh…

26. Christina @ The Hungry Australian - June 22, 2012 at 11:13 pm

This looks simply awesome. I want to eat this right now. Do you ship? Credit card ok? 😉

27. tania@mykitchenstories - June 25, 2012 at 6:50 pm

You r pie looks beautiful. i like the fresh cream and banana on top. New design very slick