Crispy Fish Sliders

“Overcoming my fear of cooking fish and deep frying all at the same time. Worth it for these crispy fish sliders.”

Recipes | June 12, 2012
Crispy Fish Sliders

Crispy Fish Sliders

I have a fear of deep frying… even though I’ve done it so many times, I still have a fear! But I find it so much fun as well… so weird. Anyways, if you have a fear of shallow or deep frying, just go and buy the oven fish fillets from the freezer isle, and you can still enjoy this dish.

The batter is very light, thanks to the mineral water, and cooking it well will result in nice juicy fish inside.

I left a few things out of the tartare sauce (capers and dill), since I didn’t have them in my pantry, but it still tasted amazing.

Probably not a dish I’d do too often during the week due to the effort involved with frying, but still a delicious dish.

Crispy Fish Sliders

Donna Hay

• 8 x 125g small white fish fillets, skin off (I used Basa fillets)
  • ¼ (50g) rice flour, for dusting
  • ½ cup (100g) rice flour, extra
  • ¾ cup (180ml) cold sparkling mineral water
  • sea salt and cracked black pepper
  • vegetable oil, for shallow frying
  • 8 small soft bread rolls, halved
  • 8 butter lettuce leaves (I used baby cos)

Tartare Sauce

• ½ cup (150g) whole-egg mayonnaise
  • 6 cornichon, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon salted capers, rinsed and chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chopped dill
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  1. To make the tartare sauce, place the mayonnaise, cornichons, capers, dill and lemon in a bowl and mix to combine. Set aside.
  2. Dust the fish in the rice flour, shaking off any excess. Place the extra rice flour in a bowl, add the mineral water, season with salt and pepper and whisk until smooth.
  3. Heat 2cm of oil in a deep frying pan over high heat. Dip the fish in the batter and cook in the hot oil, in batches, for 2 minutes each side or until crisp and golden. Drain on absorbent paper. Spread the bread rolls with the tartare sauce and top with the lettuce and fish.
  4. Serve with with potato chips if desired.

Crispy Fish Sliders

Comments

15 comments on “Crispy Fish Sliders
  1. penny aka jeroxie - June 12, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Good on you for deep frying… I try to bake or grill as much as possible. Unless I have a wet kitchen outside!

2. Food is our religion - June 12, 2012 at 9:30 pm

They look so cute! mayo and fish mmmm

3. Kristy @ Southern In-Laaw - June 12, 2012 at 9:37 pm

My family would love if I made something like this as a treat. I bet the mineral water makes the batter really light!

4. Winston - June 12, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Oh woow these look divine. You make the most awesome weeknight dinners, honestly! Even though it’s hard work, am sure they paid off. And same here, I have a fear of deep frying. I honestly don’t think I do it more than once a year, even though I LOVE fried food…!!

5. Hannah - June 13, 2012 at 9:30 am

Oh, I thought this was going to be an AirFryer post! Do you ever use yours these days? I completely keep forgetting to use mine…

6. Tina @ bitemeshowme - June 13, 2012 at 9:44 am

This looks dericious! I’m a big fan of fish fingers so if I were to create a cheats version I would use them instead. But your fish fillets look so much more appetising.

7. Sarah - June 13, 2012 at 11:07 am

Cute sandwiches! I’m scared of deep frying too, and it makes my clothes and hair smell, hehe, but the results are so yummy! xox

8. Nic@diningwithastud - June 13, 2012 at 11:41 am

I’ve got a bit of a deep fry fear as well. Its pretty scary. Hot oil scares me :( lol

9. Michelle - June 13, 2012 at 2:15 pm

sparkling mineral water as batter liquid! this is creative!

10. msihua - June 13, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I don’t like frying either, but my love of fried foods especially deep fried wins all the time, and I will suffer for that! MmMmm

11. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - June 14, 2012 at 9:17 am

I love me a fish burger of sorts!! Although I think I’d just grill instead 😉 I’m not a huge deep fried fish fan. BUT, I’d forgo my fear of hot oil & make ricotta doughnuts, Italian style. favourite :)

12. tania@mykitchenstories - June 14, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I love crunchy fish. What a nice way to eat it!

13. Agnes - June 16, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Do you seriously make meals like these on a weeknight? You’re a bloody champ, Shellie. :)