Ritzy Chicken Nuggets

“This is my favourite fried chicken to make at home. Something about the buttermilk that does magical things to the texture of the chicken, to make it melt in your mouth.”

Ritzy
Ritzy Chicken Nuggets

Ritzy Chicken Nuggets

When I first made these, it was for a Thermomix demo with a few of my friends, and they were all impressed (as was I) with how soft, and moreish these chicken nuggets, made from chicken breasts actually were.

In Nigella’s Feast cookbook, she also says you can make a capery salad with the chicken nuggets, so I made a simple salad with the most amazing pickles from The Jammery. I had these gherkins at Brasserie Bread a few months ago, and most of us left with a jar in hand. Well worth it!

I used to HATE gherkins, then one day I snapped and decided I liked them. Now I can’t get enough of them, straight out of the jar will do!

Just blogging about these ritzy chicken nuggets makes me want them, perhaps I’ll have them again very, very soon…. I suggest you do to 😉

Ritzy Chicken Nuggets
Nigella Lawson

2 chicken breasts (with the peg bone each weighing approx. 250g; slightly less without)
1 x 284ml tub buttermilk
150g Ritz crackers
125ml vegetable oil

1. Cut off the chicken peg bone if there is one, and put the chicken breasts one at a time into a freezer bag so that they lie flat. Bash with a rolling pin until the chicken is quite thin, and then take it out and slice into about six to eight slices or goujons. Repeat with the other chicken breast. Scissors make this easy for children, too, and as long as you make them wash their hands well before and after, of course, you may hand a pair straight to a nearby child.

2. Put the sliced goujons into a freezer bag with the buttermilk and leave in the fridge to marinate for up to 2 days.

3. When you are ready to cook them, heat the oil in a large frying pan. Put the Ritz crackers into a bag, seal the end, then bash them as above and, once they have broken down a little, roll them with a rolling pin still inside the bag.

4. Tip the crumbs into a wide shallow bowl, and then shake off the excess buttermilk from the nuggets and dip them in the crumbs. Coat them well before laying gently in the hot oil, and cooking for about 2 or 3 minutes a side until they are golden brown.

5. Transfer to some kitchen towel on a plate to blot the excess oil.

Ritzy Chicken Nuggets

Comments

20 comments on “Ritzy Chicken Nuggets
  1. Michelle - May 31, 2012 at 9:39 pm

at first i was thinking, why is this called ritzy. i found the answer in the ingredients section.

interesting choice of batter!

2. Roxanne - June 1, 2012 at 9:32 am

Omg! I HAVE to make these!! Yum! How long did you marinate the chicken for?

• Iron Chef Shellie - June 1, 2012 at 9:40 am

I did mine for 2 days, both times I’ve made it.

• Roxanne - June 7, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Made them tonight! DELICIOUS!! I was a little impatient & didn’t let mine get as brown as yours 😛 I only marinated the chicken for 1 & 1/2 days but still perfectly yummy! Thanks for the recipe :-)

3. Nic@diningwithastud - June 1, 2012 at 10:25 am

OMG I have had those gherkins! FAB! These look amazing. So crunchy and delish!

4. Mez - June 1, 2012 at 12:06 pm

YUM!

And super easy!!!

I love gherkins especially on crackers with cheese, they are the bomb dot com.

xox

5. Lisa @ Blithe Moments - June 1, 2012 at 12:42 pm

We bought some bulk chicken breast a couple of weeks ago only to discover some had been atrociously butchered. I was contemplating cutting it up for stir fry but the plan was to make chicken schnitzel so my boytfriend suggested I turn the small pieces into chicken nuggets. By golly they are good. We made them on masse (slightly different recipe) and froze them. They are so small that you just chuck them straight from the freezer into the pan and they cook fine. We will be doing this again.

6. Born27 - June 1, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Wow! what a mouthwatering chicken nuggets you here. I have to make this tonight. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Love it!

7. Cara @ Gourmet Chick - June 2, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I love using buttermilk to fry chicken it really keeps the meat moist and delicious – these look fabulous.

8. Tina @ bitemeshowme - June 4, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I love that it’s just ritz crackers at the crumb. Who would have thought? Love it!

9. Winston - June 5, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Hahhaha I know what you mean, Michele! Gerkhins was one of those things that I began to like ALL of a sudden too! I still remember the times I used to always, always pick out the pickles from my McD cheeseburger as a kid. Anyway, great recipe! I love fried food using bicky crumbs… And Nigella’s really done it again. Thanks for this! Yum yum yum =]

10. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - June 5, 2012 at 5:23 pm

I used to hate gherkins too!! so glad I’ve crossed over to the other side 😉 these look so yummy!

11. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - June 6, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I have Nigella’s Feast book but i haven’t tried these :) But i found a similar recipe in Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution book ~ before this I didn’t know you could use biscuits to coat meat lol

These look like easy and yummy week night recipe :)

12. Sara (Belly Rumbles) - June 7, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I am going to have to have a go at making these!

13. Agnes - June 16, 2012 at 3:52 pm

AHH ritzy – that is cute. :)

(Gherkins are THE BEST.)

14. tania@mykitchenstories - June 21, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Oh who would have thought ritz could do that?

15. April - June 25, 2012 at 11:30 am

I remember tasting these and thinking they were the most juicy chicken nuggets I’ve ever had! Thanks for the recipe!