Vanilla & Pomegranate Cake

“I don't usually do much with pomegranates other than put them in a salad. This time I top a cake with the ruby jewel seeds, and it's a winner.”

Every year I seem to make myself a birthday cake. This year was no exception. To go with my chocolate peanut butter brownies, I took along this cake to share with the family.

I used the Thermomix trick to deseed the pomegranate, and it worked a treat.

I’ve got massive writers’ block… so what I can tell you is this cake was good, a nice twist on a standard vanilla cake. If you like pomegranates, you’ll love this cake!

Vanilla & Pomegranate Cake

John Torode – [source]

• 200g butter
  • 200g caster sugar
  • eggs
  • zest 1 lemon plus juice of ½
  • 140g self-raising flour
  • 100g plain flour
  • ½ tsp vanilla extract

• juice ½ lemon (use the other ½ of the one for the cake)
  • pomegranates , juice of one, seeds of one (or 100ml pomegranate juice, 110g pack pomegranate seeds)
  • 85g caster sugar
  • ½ tsp vanilla extract
  1. Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Grease and line a 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin. Beat the butter and sugar with an electric whisk until pale and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, then add the lemon zest and juice and vanilla extract. Fold in the flours with a metal spoon until well mixed. Transfer to the cake tin, smooth the top, then bake for 50 mins until risen and golden.
  2. To make the syrup, mix the lemon juice with the pomegranate juice, caster sugar and vanilla, then heat gently until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and reduce slightly until syrupy. Remove from the heat and cool slightly, then tip in the pomegranate seeds.
  3. Remove the cake from the oven. Allow to cool for a few minutes before poking holes all over it with a skewer and pouring over the pomegranate syrup. Enjoy warm or cool completely in the tin.

23 comments on “Vanilla & Pomegranate Cake
  1. Vien @ We Dare Food - April 30, 2012 at 11:19 pm

I see onde-onde!!!!!!!!!!!! 😀 what a feast! I’m always too lazy to bake anything on my birthday!

2. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - May 1, 2012 at 12:03 am

OMG wow…I’ve never had a promegranate cake :) but this looks amazing! I’ve always like the seeds of promegranates hehe I love the texture ~ I’m a little scared of buying pomegranates and cooking with them but would LOVE to try this cake hehe

Happy Birthday again 😀 hope you had a wonderful day with family and friends!

3. Michelle - May 1, 2012 at 6:23 am

Wow, you bake your own birthday cake! Usually, my sister, who is the baking person in the house, does the job!

4. Tina @ bitemeshowme - May 1, 2012 at 8:07 am

I always love how you present your food. It’s always cafe/shop/restaurant worthy!

5. Leah - May 1, 2012 at 8:59 am

MMMM vanilla is intoxicating, I will have to try and make this cake.
    I have tagged you for a Kreativ Blogger Award! Love your food!!!

6. tania@mykitchenstories - May 1, 2012 at 9:22 am

Happy Birthday ( no doubt belated) . great idea for a cake it looks like a Ruby Cake.

7. Carol Kennett - May 1, 2012 at 10:42 am

Can you please tell us the Thermomix trick for seeding the pomegranate. The link doesn’t seem to work.

• Iron Chef Shellie - May 1, 2012 at 12:50 pm

oops sorry.

You cut it in quarters, put it on reverse, and speed 4 for a few seconds. Then it should be mostly deseeded for you.

8. Nica - May 1, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I love this kind of cake and this looks perfect for my kids.. I would love to try this soon..

9. Hannah - May 1, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I do, indeed, love pomegranates. In fact, I’d probably be the creepy person in the corner stealing all the arils off the top of the cake and pretending it was a plain vanilla cake all the time.

Happy birthday again!

10. Food is our religion - May 2, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I love pomegranates too! but have never tried it in a cake. sounds interesting!

11. Dhyann - May 3, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I love vanilla and this kind of cake looks definitely perfect for my kids and my husband as well.. Thanks for the idea.

12. Jared - May 3, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Real pomegranate juice is used to make the vinegar and it can be found at well-stocked supermarkets and local health food stores..

13. Sara (Belly Rumbles) - May 4, 2012 at 12:12 am

I am a massive pomegranate fan! Neat trick!!

14. Janine - May 4, 2012 at 1:19 pm

wow that is quite a spread you have! love the idea of placing the pomegranate on the cake for color and crunch!

15. Gourmet getaways - May 5, 2012 at 6:12 pm

The cake looks absolutely delicious! LOL about making your own birthday cake, I do the same :)

Happy Birthday xx

16. Ames - May 6, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I find pomegranate a bit of a hard fruit to eat just because there are so many seeds but what a gorgeous colour! Happy belated birthday :).

17. msihua - May 6, 2012 at 6:29 pm

This is lovely! And it’s given me an idea.. *muahahahahaha* an evil idea.. and you’re involved 😛 MUAHAHAHAHA

18. Claire - May 7, 2012 at 9:50 pm

These post is very interesting. I find pomegranate a bit of a hard fruit to eat just because there are so many seeds but what a gorgeous colour!

19. Alana - May 12, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Oh how gorgeous! Pomegranates are a seriously underrated fruit.

20. Nic@diningwithastud - May 14, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Is there anything that Thermomix doesn’t do?? 😉

21. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - May 23, 2012 at 3:57 pm

oops happy belated birthday, lovely! Hope it was a beautiful day. This cake looks so yummy. Love the shot of it sliced, can really see it in all it’s glory. stunning!