Vanilla & Pomegranate Cake

Every year I seem to make myself a birthday cake. This year was no exception. To go with my chocolate peanut butter brownies, I took along this cake to share with the family.

I used the Thermomix trick to deseed the pomegranate, and it worked a treat.

I’ve got massive writers’ block… so what I can tell you is this cake was good, a nice twist on a standard vanilla cake. If you like pomegranates, you’ll love this cake!

Vanilla & Pomegranate Cake

John Torode – [source]

• 200g butter
  • 200g caster sugar
  • eggs
  • zest 1 lemon plus juice of ½
  • 140g self-raising flour
  • 100g plain flour
  • ½ tsp vanilla extract

Syrup

• juice ½ lemon (use the other ½ of the one for the cake)
  • pomegranates , juice of one, seeds of one (or 100ml pomegranate juice, 110g pack pomegranate seeds)
  • 85g caster sugar
  • ½ tsp vanilla extract
  1. Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Grease and line a 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin. Beat the butter and sugar with an electric whisk until pale and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, then add the lemon zest and juice and vanilla extract. Fold in the flours with a metal spoon until well mixed. Transfer to the cake tin, smooth the top, then bake for 50 mins until risen and golden.
  2. To make the syrup, mix the lemon juice with the pomegranate juice, caster sugar and vanilla, then heat gently until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and reduce slightly until syrupy. Remove from the heat and cool slightly, then tip in the pomegranate seeds.
  3. Remove the cake from the oven. Allow to cool for a few minutes before poking holes all over it with a skewer and pouring over the pomegranate syrup. Enjoy warm or cool completely in the tin.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Comments
23 Responses to “Vanilla & Pomegranate Cake”
  1. I see onde-onde!!!!!!!!!!!! :D what a feast! I’m always too lazy to bake anything on my birthday!
    Vien @ We Dare Food recently posted..Auction Rooms, North Melbourne

2. OMG wow…I’ve never had a promegranate cake :) but this looks amazing! I’ve always like the seeds of promegranates hehe I love the texture ~ I’m a little scared of buying pomegranates and cooking with them but would LOVE to try this cake hehe

Happy Birthday again :D hope you had a wonderful day with family and friends!
    Daisy@Nevertoosweet recently posted..I’m Back – Banoffee Pie

3. Michelle says:

Wow, you bake your own birthday cake! Usually, my sister, who is the baking person in the house, does the job!
    Michelle recently posted..Review: Middle Fish @ Berkeley St, North Melbourne

4. I always love how you present your food. It’s always cafe/shop/restaurant worthy!
    Tina @ bitemeshowme recently posted..Bride and Groom Cake Pops

5. Leah says:

MMMM vanilla is intoxicating, I will have to try and make this cake.
    I have tagged you for a Kreativ Blogger Award! Love your food!!!
    Leah recently posted..Kreativ Blogger

6. Happy Birthday ( no doubt belated) . great idea for a cake it looks like a Ruby Cake.
    tania@mykitchenstories recently posted..Beetroot Couscous, Spiced Chicken and Chorizo

7. Carol Kennett says:

Can you please tell us the Thermomix trick for seeding the pomegranate. The link doesn’t seem to work.
    Thanks.

• Iron Chef Shellie says:

oops sorry.

You cut it in quarters, put it on reverse, and speed 4 for a few seconds. Then it should be mostly deseeded for you.

8. Nica says:

I love this kind of cake and this looks perfect for my kids.. I would love to try this soon..

9. Hannah says:

I do, indeed, love pomegranates. In fact, I’d probably be the creepy person in the corner stealing all the arils off the top of the cake and pretending it was a plain vanilla cake all the time.

Happy birthday again!

10. I love pomegranates too! but have never tried it in a cake. sounds interesting!
    Food is our religion recently posted..MOO Gourmet Burgers, Newtown

11. Dhyann says:

I love vanilla and this kind of cake looks definitely perfect for my kids and my husband as well.. Thanks for the idea.

12. Jared says:

Real pomegranate juice is used to make the vinegar and it can be found at well-stocked supermarkets and local health food stores..

13. I am a massive pomegranate fan! Neat trick!!
    Sara (Belly Rumbles) recently posted..What’s on Sydney Foodie

14. Janine says:

wow that is quite a spread you have! love the idea of placing the pomegranate on the cake for color and crunch!
    Janine recently posted..Green Ombre Pandan Chiffon Layered Cake

15. The cake looks absolutely delicious! LOL about making your own birthday cake, I do the same :)

Happy Birthday xx
    Gourmet getaways recently posted..Wolf Blass Wine for Mother’s Day

16. Ames says:

I find pomegranate a bit of a hard fruit to eat just because there are so many seeds but what a gorgeous colour! Happy belated birthday :).
    Ames recently posted..Brunch at Madame Mango

17. msihua says:

This is lovely! And it’s given me an idea.. *muahahahahaha* an evil idea.. and you’re involved :P MUAHAHAHAHA
    msihua recently posted..The Coffee Party – A Day with Food, Coffee & Friends

18. Claire says:

These post is very interesting. I find pomegranate a bit of a hard fruit to eat just because there are so many seeds but what a gorgeous colour!

19. Alana says:

Oh how gorgeous! Pomegranates are a seriously underrated fruit.

20. Is there anything that Thermomix doesn’t do?? ;)
    Nic@diningwithastud recently posted..Berry & Cream Cheese Pound Cake with Lemon Drizzle

21. oops happy belated birthday, lovely! Hope it was a beautiful day. This cake looks so yummy. Love the shot of it sliced, can really see it in all it’s glory. stunning!
    Heidi – Apples Under My Bed recently posted..Almond Olive Oil Cake

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. […] in salads, jellies, cakes, you name it. Just do it. Thank me […]