Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies

“This recipe ain't for the light hearted.... diet conscious.... or diabetic. It's damn delicious though!”

This recipe ain’t for the light hearted…. diet conscious…. or diabetic.

This is a full on chocolate peanut butter brownie. Just look at the recipe, 200g of chocolate here, 200g butter there…. oh and 500g of peanut butter!!! That’s more than a small jar people.

This recipe does come from a USA recipe in an issue of  SBS’s Feast Magazine, so I should have been expecting it was going to be full blown sugar explosion. I didn’t even use all the peanut butter mixture, let alone drizzle it on top to serve. I have enough to make another batch of brownies, which I might just do, but with a very easy chocolate cake recipe I make in the Thermomix.

Needless to say, it was moreish, and could possibly be made better by using crunchy peanut butter. Don’t eat these all by yourself, I do recommend you share ;)

Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies

Feast Magazine

200g dark chocolate, chopped
200g undated butter, chopped, at room temperature
4 eggs, lightly beaten
295g caster sugar
100g plain flour
Melted chocolate and ice cream to serve

Peanut Butter Mixture
500g peanut butter
100g unsalted butter
55g icing sugar

1. Preheat oven to 180C. Fill a small saucepan one-third full with water and bring to a gentle simmer. Place the chocolate and butter in a small heatproof bowl, place over pan and stir until chocolate is melted (don’t let the bowl touch the water). Allow to cool slightly.

2. Meanwhile, whisk eggs and sugar for 4 mins or until thick and pale. Stir in chocolate mixture, flour and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Pour mixture into a greased, lined, deep 20cm square cake pan. Set aside to slightly thicken.

3. Meanwhile, to make peanut butter mixture, heat all the ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat for 45 sec or until just starting to soften. Stir to combine. Reserve one-third of the mixture to serve. Drop spoonfuls of remaining peanut butter mixture into chocolate mixture and lightly swirl with a skewer or knife. Bake for 1 hour or until just firm to touch. Cool for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

4. Cut into squares and serve topped with warmed reserve peanut butter mixture and melted chocolate, with ice-cream on the side. Store in an airtight container in single layers separated by baking paper for up to a week.

Comments

23 comments on “Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies
  1. Michelle - April 25, 2012 at 8:45 pm

WAEEEEEEEE!!! ANIYAAAAAA!

NO PHOTOS.

• Iron Chef Shellie - April 25, 2012 at 8:50 pm

noooo!!!! Thanks, I’ve just fixed it. Flickr’s new upload was confusing me a little

2. leaf (the indolent cook) - April 25, 2012 at 8:47 pm

The photos don’t seem to be working for me at the moment. But golly gosh these do sound sinful!

3. Sarah - April 25, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Wow! That looks super intense! But you’ve cut them into such little pieces… surely no calories in those pieces! ;)

4. kristy @ ksayerphoto - April 26, 2012 at 7:39 am

These look so good, Shellie! Though I bet they are seriously rich!

5. Tina @ bitemeshowme - April 26, 2012 at 8:20 am

helllooooooooooooooooo chocolatey, peanut buttery goodness. *heart melts*

6. Kathryn - April 26, 2012 at 10:04 am

Brownies are definitely delicious and my kids are even addicted with it.. This makes me so hungry now and crave for brownies..

7. Spencer - April 26, 2012 at 2:06 pm

What a wonderful creation. I reckon I could eat the whole plateful in one sitting. They look amazing.

8. tania@mykitchenstories - April 26, 2012 at 5:37 pm

They look dastardly wicked and chocolatey good. Mmmm

9. Hannah - April 26, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Oh dear heavens this is the recipe of my soul. Except I could never make it, because I would eat the entire leftover peanut butter mixture in one sitting. I wish I were joking, but I’ve been eating bowls of straight peanut butter mixed with caramel top n fill lately…

P.S. Crunchy peanut butter is the only kind that should exist.

10. msihua - April 26, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Ooh my! So pretty!

11. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - April 27, 2012 at 5:10 pm

These are crazily rich ;) more than 500g of peanut better wow! That’s thank gosh I don’t like peanut butter if not I m gonna rush and make these and probably eat them all without sharing hahaha ~

12. Libby - April 28, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Yum! I LOVE peanut butter more than life itself so these will go down a treat for me… but I’m probably better off sharing these with my workmates than eating them alone :D

13. Food is our religion - April 29, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I feel like brownies AND peanut butter on toast now thanks to this!

14. Cara @ Gourmet Chick - April 30, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Oh my goodness look at those swirls of peanut butter in those brownies – divine.

15. tinafreysd - May 4, 2012 at 5:57 pm

This kind of brownies is good for dessert..I want to make this..Thanks for the delicious recipe..

16. Nic@diningwithastud - May 19, 2012 at 1:36 pm

OMG love it! That is all

17. Ashley - May 19, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Oh my god! Two of my favourite things! <3

Michele Froidevaux

All content on this site by Michele Froidevaux, otherwise known as Iron Chef Shellie. Her skills include food styling in her kitchen studio, lifestyle and travel photography across Australia, restaurant photography on location, building social media for her clients, recipe development with love, menu consulting for cafes and graphic design for people with discerning tastes :)