{MFWF 2012} Vintage High Tea @ Werribee Mansion

I was lucky enough to be invited to Werribee Mansion again this year as part of the Melbourne Food & Wine Festival. Last year they held an unforgettable 19th century degustation dinner, and this year they hosted a vintage high tea on the balcony of the historic mansion.

We arrived to a lovely glass of champagne and we were escorted to our table. It was lovely to catch up with Patty and Sarah, and talk to hotel manager Adrian Dent. He said they are looking at making the high tea at the mansion a weekly event, so if you like the look of this, keep your eyes out for it later on in the year.

Perfect weather and an amazing view of the grounds made for the perfect setting to demolish indulge in the delicious looking high tea caddy. A colorful variety to choose from; scones, madelines, strawberry macarons that tastes like iced vo-vos, chocolate sponge lamingtons (my favorite!), apple tarts, ribbon sandwiches, savory muffins, as well as mini pies and quiches. All amazing and beautifully presented.

We sipped on Melbourne Breakfast blend by T2 in the cute cups that were also from T2. They matched perfectly with the historic location.

There was also a mention of a possible game of badminton or croquet on the program, but there was a wedding on, and a music festival setting up in the grounds, so I think there wasn’t any room for it at the last moment. Not that that was a problem, we enjoyed a walk around the gardens anyway to walk off the high tea.

Hamsley was lucky enough to come with me to enjoy the accommodation at Werribee Mansion Hotel & Spa. We had dinner in the bar of the hotel, dipped our feet in the pool and veged out in the cloud like bed for the night. I was watching horrible tv shows, whilst Hamsley played with my first, and new iPad.. *yay!*

We were very impressed by the serving size of the dishes in the bar. I wasn’t sure if I should eat ribs or meatballs. I was torn between my two loves. I put the question out to twitter and it was a unanimous vote for ribs. Well, I definitely wasn’t expecting so much meat on the ribs! They were cooked so well, the meat was so tender and just fell off the bone. Hamsley went for the burger and thoroughly enjoyed it.

We enjoyed a buffet breakfast and took the hotel’s bikes out for a spin. We also enjoyed a picnic hamper prepared by the kitchen on the lush greens of the park, which made for the perfect ending to such a lavish weekend.

Iron Chef Shellie and Hamsley stayed at the Werrribee Hotel Spa courtesy of the Lancemore Group and QStrategies.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Comments
26 Responses to “{MFWF 2012} Vintage High Tea @ Werribee Mansion”
  1. Sarah says:

Woah, you blogged so quickly! :) Great stuff! Beautiful pictures, and it was great catching up with you guys! :)

xox Sarah
    Sarah recently posted..Penang 2012: Kopitiams and Hawker Food

2. The mansion is such a beautiful setting isn’t it? Love the sculpture walk as well. They should certainly make the afternoon tea a regular feature!
    Cara @ Gourmet Chick recently posted..La Luna Bistro

3. Love the pictures :) to grounds look stunning!
    Nic@diningwithastud recently posted..Bill’s – Darlinghurst

4. April says:

Wow, that was a super fast post! Lovely pictures – the weather was so perfect for a trip like this!
    April recently posted..Dining Out: Matteo’s MFWF Restaurant Express Lunch

5. Agnes says:

Oooh a regular afternoon tea? That sounds great.

Sounds like you had a great weekend – fancy pants :D
    Agnes recently posted..The week in brief: 12 March – 18 March

6. Ashley says:

Sigh, how simply beautiful! Loving that teapot! :)
    Ashley recently posted..Pinotta

7. Oh I remember seeing your pics on Instagram. What a wonderful experience! :D

8. MoMo & Coco says:

Your photos of the mansion itself looks far more beautiful than the food itself…rather generic afternoon tea. As dessert-only bloggers, we have a section dedicated entirely to high tea and have blogged about a few Melbourne high tea places. Yet to find one we really really love though….

9. Howlucky are you. A truly exciting experience. What a lovely place
    tania@mykitchenstories recently posted..Individual Tiramisu for Easter

10. What a gorgeous place! The high tea looks scrumptious as well as the rest of your stay there.
    Sara (Belly Rumbles) recently posted..Milk Bar Memories – Ms.G’s, Potts Point

11. So so so jealous again :P you’ve been invited to two events that I really want to go to lately hehe the B&P event which thankfully i have booked a table for ~ really hope the Werribee Mansion will make the high tea a weekly thing! I think it really suits the whole place hehe

I’ve visited the mansion so many times but I never take amazing photos like you do :D

Would you recommending staying at the mansion for the weekend? I’m starting to plan a little get away with Mr Bao hehe ~
    Daisy@Nevertoosweet recently posted..Next Stop – Pastry Gems

12. Dear Iron Chef Shellie,

I’ve been out to Melton and Werribee a few times for my work but never realised the mansion had such wonderful food and facilities! Love those ham and cheese sandwiches on white bread :)

13. What a great weekend esp with tons of food

14. I love all the pictures but my favourite would have to be the accommodation welcome sign! It’s so cute!

15. msihua says:

SO pretty! I really do want to get there and stay once.. instead of going there for conferences all the time!
    msihua recently posted..The Green Cacao Pod MFWF Dinner – The Chef, The Chocolatiers & The Cacao Bean

16. Lianne says:

What a beautiful place ! (: And that room is just gorgeous!
    Lucky you for being invited back again and having all the yummy food!
    Lianne recently posted..A Review Post that Gone Korean Crazy

17. hehe re: bathroom pic. Lovin the tier and the amazing gardens!
    Adrian (Food Rehab) recently posted..MFWF 2012 Eatathon: Sher & the Chefs Gala, TAXI Wine Legacy Dinner + Dandenong World Food Fare

18. Lyka Ricks says:

I love how the sweets are temptingly arranged. This could be a wonderful getaway to relieve stress. Are there bikes available for children? I would love to bike with the kiddos and enjoy the flower garden.

19. Rosalie says:

I really like these places…It looks really fabulous and perfect to have a vacation…
    Rosalie recently posted..disabled cars

20. oooh pretty pretty pretty!!! Love this. & the bike & picnic are such romantic touches :)
    Heidi – Apples Under My Bed recently posted..Sausages and Sauerkraut

21. Cindy says:

It look so classy calm and uplifting :)

22. Leslie42 says:

This is a perfect place for a great fun and activities, how I wish I can stay here even just for single day…

23. Thanh says:

Looks like such an amazing place to go. High tea looks awesome too.

24. Thanh says:

Looks like an amazing place to stay. The high tea looks awesome too. Love the photos.
    Thanh recently posted..Singapore Takeout In Sydney

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. […] Chef Shellie wrote about her impressive Vintage High Tea at Werribee Mansion which was put on as part of the […]