Poached Chicken & Soba Noodle Salad

“I was a bit reluctant to cook this as Hamsley had protested on numerous occasions he doesn’t like poached chicken. He didn’t seem thrilled to find me poaching chicken on the stove, but I stuck with it as the picture in the magazine looked so good. By the end of eating two serves, he exclaimed...”

Poached Chicken & Soba Noodle Salad

Poached Chicken & Soba Noodle Salad

I was a bit reluctant to cook this as Hamsley had protested on numerous occasions he doesn’t like poached chicken. He didn’t seem thrilled to find me poaching chicken on the stove, but I stuck with it as the picture in the magazine looked so good. By the end of eating two serves, he exclaimed he liked poached chicken, just not poached chicken with the skin on. HURRAH!!

So my knife skills aren’t the best, and me cutting things into matchsticks takes forever, and results me in cutting them into obese matchsticks. Worth it for a fresh, filling dish; without the feeling of eating something bad for you.

Poached Chicken & Soba Noodle Salad

From Delicious magazine

4 chicken boob fillets (about 170g each)
180g soba noodles1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
1 long red chilli, seeds removed (if you are a wuss), thinly sliced
1 bunch spring onions, thinly sliced on an angle
2 tablespoons rice vinegar1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoons dark soy sauce
1 teaspoon caster sugar

1. Place the chicken in a saucepan with enough cold water to cover by 5cm. Bring to the boil, then simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes or until cooked through. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside to cool.
  2. Meanwhile, cook the soba noodles according to packet instructions. Drain, rinse in cold water, then drain again and place in a bowl with the carrot, capsicum, chilli and spring onion.
  3. Shred the cooled chicken and add to the bowl.
  4. Place the vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce, sugar and 2 tablespoons cold water in a jug. Whisk to combine and dissolve sugar.
  5. Add the soy dressing to the noodles and toss well to combine, then divide the salad among bowls and serve.

Poached Chicken & Soba Noodle Salad

Comments

21 comments on “Poached Chicken & Soba Noodle Salad
  1. Michelle chin - October 29, 2011 at 9:41 am

Yo chicken boob fillets! Hahah. :) Guess i’ll be making this sometime soon cos my sister is bugging me for something asian after 1 round of mediterranean. lols.

2. Girl About Town - October 29, 2011 at 9:43 am

I like it! Healthy, tasty and simple! Can’t wait to give it a go!

3. Lotsofcravings - October 29, 2011 at 9:47 am

Hahah boob fillet!

I’m just starting to like chicken breast but the room for error in over cooking it is so stressful!

4. leaf (the indolent cook) - October 29, 2011 at 10:39 am

Easy and great flavours! Your photos make it look very enticing, too.

5. Winston - October 29, 2011 at 11:26 am

BOOB fillet LOL that gave me a nice chuckle hehe… Btw, I’m not a fan of poached chicken too but if you’ve managed to convince Hamsley, this MUST be that good! I looooove soba noodles so I can’t wait to try this out woot. Thanks!! =]

6. Hannah - October 29, 2011 at 1:35 pm

I heart the look of this! I’m a big fan of poached chicken, soba, and Asian-esque flavours, so woot!

P.S. But when does one ever eat poached chicken skin?!

7. kristy @ ksayerphotography - October 29, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Ooh this looks so yum Shellie! I love soba noodles – too bad there isn’t a gluten free replacement which tastes as good!

8. Gourmet getaways - October 29, 2011 at 2:04 pm

This looks so delicious!
    I love poached chicken but I agree with Hamsley, poached chicken skin is gross!

I feel like something a little spicy.

9. Nathan Smith - October 29, 2011 at 7:40 pm

I like this food because it’s very healthy and taste very delicious. I often used to eat “Poached chicken and soba noodle salad”. Oh! Buddy I’m feeling hungry can’t wait to eat it ;). Thanks

10. Hotly Spiced - October 29, 2011 at 8:20 pm

That just looks gorgeous – healthy, nutritious and quick to prepare – perfect!

11. Cherrie - October 29, 2011 at 10:03 pm

That looks delish!… I also like the Made in Japan plate :p

12. EatPlayShop - October 30, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I have a strange love of poached chicken, have been looking forward to the recipe since seeing the pic on instagram! Thanx :)

13. Roxanne - October 30, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Mmmmm!! Looks good!!

14. msihua - October 30, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I like chicken and I like soba.. and I will say this is an amazing looking dish. I want some for lunch this week now! Yayy for another recipe to bookmark!

15. Agnes - October 30, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I love poached chicken – it’s like two meals in one, because afterwards we drink the poaching liquid as a soup. 😀

16. Mez - October 31, 2011 at 10:54 am

That looks so good Shell, I’m tempted to whip it up in a 1 serve size for work dinner this week.

Bookmarking this for later!!

xox

17. Yasmeen @ Wandering Spice - October 31, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Mmm, I love soba noodles and yet never, ever make them at home. This looks like such a great weeknight dinner!

18. Nic@diningwithastud - October 31, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Thats awesome that you made him a fan :) Im such a soba lover its crazy! These look delish :)

19. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - November 2, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I adore soba noodles! Poached chicken scares me – normally it looks so pallid! haha.