Quick Chilli

“I was a bad citizen of the world this year, and totally forgot when Cinco De Mayo was. Last year was the first year I found out about it, and demanded we celebrate with tacos; even if they were the very non-Mexican Old El Paso crunchy vareity. Had I have remembered, I would have made...”

I was a bad citizen of the world this year, and totally forgot when Cinco De Mayo was. Last year was the first year I found out about it, and demanded we celebrate with tacos; even if they were the very non-Mexican Old El Paso crunchy vareity. Had I have remembered, I would have made this chilli two days later.

Oh well, I was after something quick to make us for dinner anyway. Being so cold lately, I wanted it to be easy, and a big bowl of comfort. Looking at some of the ingredients I wasn’t too sure, but decided to trust Nigella anyway.

I cut my chorizo with my new ceramic knife mum brought me back from Malaysia… OMG I couldn’t believe how easily it cut… it was like I was cutting through softened butter. Needless to say, I was in love with my new knife, and have a set of ceramic knives on the way…. thanks catchoftheday!

The chilli was so easy to make, and it was like eating a delicious bowl of taco mince…. but better. The chorizo and beans go oh so well with the mince and spices. I did doubt the addition of sweet chilli sauce, but it’s essential. An instant weeknight classic. I’m feeling like another bowl and it’s only 8am!

Quick Chilli

Nigella Lawson

150g chorizo sausage (not the salami sort), halved lengthways and cut into 5mm half moons
500g minced beef
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 cardamom pods, bruised
1 x 500g jar good quality tomato and chunky vegetable sauce for pasta
1 x 390g can mixed spicy beans
60ml sweet chilli sauce
1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes (optional, or if your canned beans are not spicy)

1. Put the chorizo into a hot, heavy-based pan and cook over a medium heat until the sausage crisps a little and gives up its orange-red oil.

2. Add the mince and cook for about five minutes, breaking it up with a wooden fork to help it brown.

3. Stir in the spices and then add the tomato-vegetable pasta sauce, spicy beans and chilli sauce. Also add the chilli flakes if you need more heat or if you only used regular canned beans.

4. Bring to boil, turn down heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

5. Eat this with rice or just as it is. If you’re not adding any rice, you could dollop a blob of sour cream and sprinkle some grated cheese and chopped coriander on it.

Comments

13 comments on “Quick Chilli
  1. Ellie (Almost Bourdain) - May 7, 2011 at 12:08 pm

This quick chilli is perfect for cold weekedays dinner. Thanks for sharing, Shellie.

2. Hannah - May 7, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I’ve only discovered Cinco de Mayo through blogs, but I’m always happy to gobble up a bowl of chilli. Your version is worlds away from the kangaroo chilli I made recently! 😛

3. Mez - May 7, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Yummmmmmmmmmmm!!!

i wish I felt like eating at the moment though!

4. Michelle - May 7, 2011 at 6:06 pm

This is a good hearty dish for the 6 degree chill today!

5. GourmetGetaways - May 8, 2011 at 8:39 am

I love a good chilli recipe, especially in this weather.

Mr GG loves your pics, he is salivating already and it is only breakfast time.

6. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - May 8, 2011 at 10:29 am

This looks like a nice, quick, flavourful chilli recipe! & your ceramic knife looks fantastic, how awesome! Might look into getting one, we need new knifes.

7. msihua - May 8, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Ooo ceramic knives.. Awesome.. I shall go hunt for some online now.. you’re a bad influence 😛

8. penny aka jeroxie - May 8, 2011 at 1:52 pm

seems perfect for the cold winter melbourne weather

9. yasmeen @ wandering spice - May 8, 2011 at 5:12 pm

this looks absolutely perfect for the less than lovely weather we’re having now. i love the combination of chorizo and cardamom! thanks for sharing.

10. angie - May 8, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Would you believe I’ve never had Chilli in my life? I know… deprived foodie I am 😀 A quick version sounds great to me! Might have to whip up a batch to pop my Chilli cherry :)

11. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - May 9, 2011 at 5:28 pm

I must get myself some ceramic knives-a friend raves about them too! :)

12. Chanel - May 10, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I’m intrigued by these ceramic knives! I could do with a bowl of this chilli this week – soooo cold my toes are going numb!

13. Susan - May 12, 2011 at 4:51 pm

This looks delicious. Bookmarked and def going to make on the weekend. I think some sour cream and avocado wouldn’t go astray though.