Coca-Cola Cupcakes

“I’ve been neglecting my RSS feeds lately… it’s in the thousands. I randomly opened a few the other day and saw these coca-cola cupcakes on Patent And the Pantry’s blog and new I had to make them ASAP! I saw the pictures and description and didn’t need anymore prompting. When reading the post after consuming...”

Coca-Cola Cupcakes

Coca-Cola Cupcakes

I saw the pictures and description and didn’t need anymore prompting. When reading the post after consuming my first cupcake I remembered I had indeed made Nigella’s coca-cola cake before, 2 years ago... *face palm*

I was very doubtful the cupcakes would work, as the batter was pretty much liquid. But much to my surprise they magically turned into cupcakes after 20 minutes in the oven, and with a wash of coca-cola glaze they were ready for tasting.

Re-reading my post from 2 years ago,  I describe the cake as more like a fudge. Where as these cupcakes are more like cupcakes than fudge, light and fluffy thanks to the fizz and buttermilk.

Coca-Cola taste isn’t that prominent, but they are still delicious!

Coca-cola Cupcakes with Glaze

Glaze
225 g icing sugar
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons Coca-cola
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F.

2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Beat the egg, buttermilk and vanilla in in a measuring jug. In a heavy-based saucepan, melt the butter, cocoa and Coca-cola, heating it gently. Pour into the dry ingredients, stir well with a wooden spoon, and then add the liquid ingredients from the jug, beating until it is well blended.

3. Pour into a muffin tin that has been greased or lined with papers and bake for 15 minutes (or more, see above) until a tester comes out clean.

4. For the glaze:sieve the icing sugar and set aside. In a heavy-based saucepan, combine the butter, Coca-Cola and cocoa and stir over a low heat until the butter has melted. Remove from the heat, add the vanilla, and spoon in the sieved icing sugar, beating as you do, until you’ve got a good, spreadable, but still runny, icing. Pour over the cupcakes while they are still warm, and leave to cool.

Makes 12.

Coca-Cola Cupcakes

Comments

25 comments on “Coca-Cola Cupcakes
  1. Armers - March 9, 2011 at 7:18 pm

om nom nom… they look wonderful! Did the glaze run off to the sides :(

2. Chanel - March 9, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Mmm yum! These look great – and I love the sound of “light and fluffy thanks to the fizz and buttermilk” 😀

3. Cherrie - March 9, 2011 at 7:51 pm

love it! I love the sound of coca cola glaze.

4. Martyna (Wholesome Cook) - March 9, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Mmmm they look scrumptious! I have a feeling cherry cola would be nice too…

5. Joyti - March 9, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Ooo, how original…I can see why you ‘had to’ make them :)
    They look delicious!

6. Mez - March 10, 2011 at 12:11 am

ooooooooooooo they look good!! I want to use the M word (moist) but it grosses me out… putting it in brackets makes it somewhat better but it will always be the M word.

I’m going to bake some cakes tomorrow :) :) :)

7. Ashley Ng - March 10, 2011 at 12:52 am

I don’t generally drink coke at all, but these sound like a fun alternative! Need to get back into my baking once I get home… :)

8. kristy @ ksayerphotography - March 10, 2011 at 5:59 am

These look really good – if you added vanilla butter cream it’d be like a spider/ice cream soda!

9. Ellie (Almost Bourdain) - March 10, 2011 at 8:38 am

Very very interesting! I can’t wait to try and taste it.

10. Hannah - March 10, 2011 at 9:09 am

Clearly your subconscious remembered that this recipe was delicious :)

11. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - March 10, 2011 at 10:02 am

Wow, so interesting! lol at the face palm – it is strange to forget such a different dessert! hehe. I am intrigued!

12. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - March 10, 2011 at 10:40 am

Wow, so interesting! lol at the face palm – how could you forget such a unique baked good? hehe. They look delicious. I’m intrigued!

13. Leah - March 10, 2011 at 10:53 am

Wow what a clever idea. I would never of thought of putting cola, in a cupcake!

14. Susan - March 10, 2011 at 11:40 am

Well I guess coca cola is just liquid sugar anyway! They look very moist and delicious.

15. penny aka jeroxie - March 10, 2011 at 11:55 am

cola cupcake…. maybe I can add a bourbon glaze 😀

16. Michelle - March 10, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Man, I can already imagine how it tastes like! I want some coca cola cake right now!!!

17. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - March 10, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Love the Donna cupcake liners. And I think I thought the same with the cupcake mixture but somehow with the miracle of baking it all comes together! :)

18. angie - March 10, 2011 at 9:22 pm

The many uses of coca cola!! =D Sounds delish! Glad it all came together =)

19. shelly (cookies and cups) - March 10, 2011 at 10:45 pm

I love coca~cola cake!!! I can only imagine how delicious it would be in cupcake form :)

20. Alana - March 11, 2011 at 10:22 am

Can I make these with diet coke? 😛

21. Adrian (Food Rehab) - March 12, 2011 at 10:26 pm

ah yum! Is it as addictive as the drink? Do you burp with each mouthful?

22. Jennifer (Delicieux) - March 14, 2011 at 8:50 am

What a wonderful idea for cupcakes. I’ve never used coca cola in baking but they look delicious! Love the Donna Hay cupcake liners too!

23. Sheena - March 14, 2011 at 8:29 pm

They really do look so light and fluffy, and super moist too. The glaze looks lovely!

24. Halawi@california date palm - March 29, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Wow, the coca cola cupcakes look yummy. I will surely try out that recipe sometime and see if I will come up with something as perfect as that.