Cookbook Challenge: Cherry Garcia

Theme 1: Stonefruit
Cookbook Used: Ben and Jerry’s Homemade Ice Cream and Dessert Book
Author: Ben R. Cohen and Jerry Greenfield

The cookbook challenge is back! This time we are doing it fortnightly instead of weekly so we have a better chance of staying on track. It was great to end last year’s challenge with a lunch, so it’s time to start all over again and see how many cookbooks we can get through.

I had seen Ellie from Almost Bourdain make this recipe a while ago, yet was without ice-cream machine to make it all possible. Fast forward till now! Hamsley bought me an ice-cream machine for Christmas (my hinting helped!). I decided to use the fresh cherries I picked recently instead of canned cherries. I think canned cherries would have added an extra sweetness, as the fresh cherries didn’t seem as sweet against the ice-cream, and they were super sweet to start with.

It’s true what they say though; once you’ve had homemade ice-cream, it’s hard to go back to the store bought stuff!

Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia Ice Cream Recipe

1/4 cup shaved plain chocolate (B&J prefer Hershey’s Special Dark Chocolate candy bars. I used blitzed Hershey’s Kisses and some dark chocolate)
1/4 cup fresh Bing cherries, halved and pitted (you may use canned cherries, but see sure to drain the syrup)
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups heavy or whipping cream
1 cup milk

1. Place the shaved chocolate flakes and the cherries in separate bowls. Cover and refrigerate.

2. Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Whish in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend.

3. Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer’s instructions.

4. After the ice cream stiffen (about 2 minutes before it is done), add the chocolate and the cherries, then continue freezing until the ice cream is ready.

(Makes grateful 1 quart).

We are trialling a forum instead of doing round ups. If you are joining us, please check out the results here: http://community.jeroxie.com/groups/cookbook-challenge/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Comments
35 Responses to “Cookbook Challenge: Cherry Garcia”
  1. How delicious!!! I agree homemade is best and that looks by far the most yummy homemade ice-cream ever!!!
    GourmetGetaways recently posted..Pineapple Frangipane Tart

2. Nothing is more satisfying than digging into a tub of some homemade icecream. How did the cherries go in the icecream? I find when you include fresh fruit into icecream that they freeze up and become somewhat unpleasant.

What a fantastic concept, would love to join but I’m worried I won’t stick to it..

3. Allan says:

yummmmmmy. too bad i’m semi-lactose intolerant =P
    Allan recently posted..NZ part 3 – Oysters for brunch and Middle Earth for lunch

4. Nom.. it is so ice cream season now isn’t it? I have to get going with my cookbook challenge… got peaches… what do I do?
    penny aka jeroxie recently posted..White and dark chocolate Jaffa cake

5. Hannah says:

Brilliant! But can you please now make Chubby Hubby? :D
    Hannah recently posted..Raw Zucchini Pasta with Marinara Sauce- à la my Fairy Rawmother

6. Michelle says:

Hmm, with the new ice cream maker, I’m sure you can come up with some really crazy flavors!
    Michelle recently posted..Review- Lunch @ High Tide- Menara Taipan- KL

7. Cherry garcia with freshly picked cherries? You can’t get more lustworthy than that!
    Helen (grabyourfork) recently posted..China Doll- Woolloomooloo- Sydney

8. Jeanne Edwards says:

How yummy does yr Icecream look Shellie, love the concept of having Cherries in it to. It is a great season for it, and for luvly plump Cherries also. Next time pop in a dash of Brandy! Yu will be pleasantly suprised. x :)

9. This looks soooooooooooooooooooo good Shellie! Hollyyyy yum.
    kristy @ ksayerphotography recently posted..Is that it

10. Leah says:

Homemade ice cream is so delicious, and addictive. I used to have an ice-cream machine, but it broke down :( I think its time to look at getting a new one!
    Leah recently posted..Spanakopita spinach Pie

11. I just went cherry picking over the weekend- so addicted. Of course I ate more than I picked! Still recalling the times I had cherry Garcia in the US, so good. This looks amazing and even better beacuse it’s fresh cherries. YUMMMM!!!!

Any leftovers? Really.
    Adrian in Food Rehab recently posted..An Interview with Hunger Relief Chef- Shane Pereira – who creates 5000 meals a month for the hungry

12. angie says:

I’ve put my freezer tub into our chest freezer for a while now but am still yet to make my first batch of ice cream for the summer of ’10/’11. This flavour combo sounds delish! Oh and yes, once you go home made the store bought stuff doesn’t cut it =D
    angie recently posted..Home Made Beef Burgers and Brioche Bun with Parmesan Truffle Fries

13. Cherrie says:

That looks great. What a fantastic start to the cookbook challenge
    Cherrie recently posted..What to do with Left Over Lobster Lobster Torta- of course

14. Oh dear god that’s a bowl of heaven right there! Pity about the fresh cherries not working. I wonder if soaking fresh cherries in a little liquer would help, like kirsch? The alcohol might prevent ice crystallising in the fruit and add an extra bit of naughtiness :)
    Emma @CakeMistress recently posted..Banana and Honey Bread

15. Agnes says:

Getting off to a good start for the year, Shellie! :D What do you think of the Hershey’s Kisses? I remember eating some a couple of years ago after a colleague brought some back from America (after not having had any for years and years) and being rather disappointed!
    Agnes recently posted..Charcoal Lane- dessert

• Iron Chef Shellie says:

I am not a fan! I regret buying a massive bag of them from Costco too. They taste like cheap, stale chocolate!! Will have to use them in cooking unless Hamsley eats them all!

16. I know that Hershey’s are tasteless and leave an odd chocolaty-film in my mouth (…or is that just me ?), but I spent a considerable chunk of my childhood in the U.S. and I just can’t shake the habit. Maybe it’s that irresistible peel-away foil wrapping. Your ice cream looks incredible, I think the fresh cherries were a good move to balance the ice cream: I’ve always found store-bought B&Js a bit too sweet after the first few mouthfuls. Beautiful photography :)
    foodie and the chef recently posted..indian street food- onion bhajis and crispy lentil batons

17. Yum, totally yum, and so right for the kind of weather we’re having here in Melbourne. You’ve inspired me to make some ice-cream over the weekend!
    Queenotisblue recently posted..Coburg Cool – The Post Office Hotel

18. Thanh says:

Seems like everyone’s got an ice cream machine. I want one but then I’ll be churning out so much ice cream and eating it all that I’ll be so fat. Better not buy it, although I am tempted by the “once you’ve had homemade ice-cream, it’s hard to go back to the store bought stuff!”
    Thanh recently posted..First Taste Springvale