Tomato and Garlic Stew with Prawns

“Hope you all had a great Christmas and have hit up the sales like I have! I’m still festively swollen around my mid section so will be looking like a stuffed turkey on the beach later this week. I thought I’d have more energy to blog now that I’m on holidays, but I’m still trying...”

Recipes | December 28, 2010
Tomato and Garlic Stew with Prawns

Tomato and Garlic Stew with Prawns

I thought I’d have more energy to blog now that I’m on holidays, but I’m still trying to get into holiday mode and still catching up on sleep from the lead up to Christmas. (Fact: I fell asleep whilst writing this post, and it was only about 5pm). I wish I had more time off but I’m not complaining with the amount of time I do.

Anyways, enough boring moaning, and onto something delicious. A recipe I’ve wanted to try for years but never got round to. I ask Hamsley if I could cook it as I know he isn’t too huge on seafood. Prawns are one of the things he likes, and gave me approval. It was an easy dish to make, packed with loads of flavour. Served with crusty bread, it was an ideal dinner for us on these chilly summer nights we have been getting. Hamsley has even requested I make it again, so it must have been a hit!

Tomato and Garlic Stew with Prawns

Donna Hay

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 onions, sliced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 x 440g cans whole peeled tomatoes
1 cup white wine
2 cups vegetable or fish stock
500g shelled raw prawns (shrimp)
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
cracked black pepper and sea salt

1. Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add the oil, onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until soft and golden. Add the tomatoes and crush with a fork. Add the wine and stock and simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened slightly.

2. Add the prawns and cook for 5 minutes or until they have turned red. Add the parsley, pepper and salt. Spoon into bowls. Serve with crusty bread.

You will need 1kg of unshelled prawns to get 500g shelled.

Tomato and Garlic Stew with Prawns

Comments

12 comments on “Tomato and Garlic Stew with Prawns
  1. Michelle - December 28, 2010 at 7:40 pm

So going to bookmark this! Haha, this could be the perfect thing for cold weathers! I love tomatoes, garlic and prawns!

2. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - December 28, 2010 at 8:42 pm

mmm I love prawns. This looks lovely. I have been feeling the same lately – falling asleep at 5pm! Enjoy your time off!

3. Hannah - December 28, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Swollen from Christmas, yes, hit the sales, no. Seeing as I made a rather enormous online purchase on Christmas Day, I’ve forbidden myself from entering the shops 😉

I adore tomato and seafood broth-type dishes, so this looks amazing!

4. Cherrie - December 28, 2010 at 10:23 pm

This looks great. Hubby is also not a big fan of seafood as he didn’t grow up with it in Engand. He does, however, likes prawns so I think, this will be a hit with him (and me, of course).

5. Helen (grabyourfork) - December 29, 2010 at 3:24 am

I reckon you’ve managed to pack BAGS of flavour in that! lol. Hope you had a great Christmas.

6. kristy @ ksayerphotography - December 29, 2010 at 6:19 am

Oooh my family would love this, perhaps I need to get cooking – belated christmas present? 😛

7. lotsofcravings - December 29, 2010 at 8:55 am

looks awesome, cooked up something similar before with some tomatoes that i cooked down but time to remake it with the addition of some white wine and some prawn stock!

8. GourmetGetaways - December 29, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Ohh Yummy! It looks delicious and richly seafoody. Arent you a good wife checking with hubby if he minds eating what your planning to blog :)

This will be on my bookmarked page for the cooler weather :)

9. Anna Johnston - December 29, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Yummy, I’ve made this recipe I think.., or one like it before & we all loved it, the flavour is fabulous just right for mopping up with some nice tasty crusty fresh bread.

10. Judy @ Foodie Dreams - January 3, 2011 at 9:05 am

Ooh that looks very yummy! I know what you mean about catching up on sleep… I’ve been very dozy in the afternoons :)

11. Susan - January 6, 2011 at 10:13 am

Such a great combination. I love making this and finishing it off with a bit of fetta.