Ultra-Choc Christmas Puddings

“  As John Lennon once sang: So this is Christmas And what have you done Another year over And a new one just begun And so this is Christmas I hope you have fun The near and the dear ones The old and the young With Christmas on it’s way, and requests for some cute...”

Recipes | December 10, 2009
Ultra-Choc Christmas Puddings

Ultra-Choc Christmas Puddings

As John Lennon once sang:
So this is Christmas
And what have you done
Another year over
And a new one just begun
And so this is Christmas
I hope you have fun
The near and the dear ones
The old and the young

With Christmas on it’s way, and requests for some cute Christmas cupcakes following my reindeer cupcakes from last year; I thought I better get my bum into gear.

These were absolutely delicious, and incredibly easy to make. Infact, I am making them again next weekend to go into noodle boxes for a Christmas lunch I’m hosting. I’m also making cute name tags to go with them. Don’t worry, I’ll be sure to take millions of photos (as always) to post on my blog!

The bursts of cranberries within the puddings are a real treat, and match perfectly with the chocolately batter. They are not as heavy as a pudding would be, and look ultra cute!
I used spearmint leaves instead of fresh bay leaves, which adds a nice minty treat after eating the mini pudding.

Ultra-Choc Christmas Puddings

150g butter
100g dark chocolate, chopped
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup (80g) sour cream
1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup (90g) almond meal
3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
1/2 cup (75g) dried cranberries, plus extra to decorate
12 small fresh bay leaves (I used candy spearmint leaves instead)

Custard Icing
250g pure icing sugar, plus extra to dust
1 teaspoon custard powder

1. Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced. Grease a 12-hole, 1/3 cup-capacity non-stick or silicone muffin pan.

2. Melt butter and chocolate in a small saucepan on low heat, until smooth. Cool slightly. Add egg and sour cream and mix well. Sift together flour, cocoa and baking powder into a large bowl. Add almond meal, sugar and dried cranberries and mix well. Pour in chocolate mixture and stir until mixture is well combined.

3. Spoon in prepared pans, until three-quarters full. Bake for 15-20 mins, until cakes spring back when lightly touched. Cool in pan for 5 mins, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

4. Meanwhile, to make icing, sift icing sugar and custard powder into a medium bowl. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water, stirring, until thick. When puddings are cool, trim rounded tops and turn upside down onto a wire rack. Spoon over icing and press bay leaves and extra cranberries into icing. Stand until set. Dust with extra icing sugar to serve.

Makes 12.

Voila! Bon Appétit!

Ultra-Choc Christmas Puddings

Comments

15 comments on “Ultra-Choc Christmas Puddings
  1. Betty @ The Hungry Girl - December 10, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Aww these are so incredibly cute! They sound delicious too. Thanks for the recipe :)

2. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - December 10, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Cute! And who needs an after-dinner mint when you can have an after-pudding mint?

Hosting a Christmas lunch hey? Ooh I wonder what you'll be making! And ermm… my invite must have gotten lost in the mail? 😉

3. Sarah - December 10, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Cuuute!!! Can't wait to see the pics of your Christmas lunch!

xox Sarah

4. Agnes - December 10, 2009 at 9:33 pm

Oh my gosh, they look so cute!

5. Esz - December 11, 2009 at 5:15 am

Cuteness!!! And chocolate too. Mmm…I think I definitely prefer chocolate cake over traditional fruit cake. 😀

6. imasugarjunkie - December 11, 2009 at 2:30 pm

oh my god! these are soooo adorable! and they look so yummy too!

7. Simon - December 11, 2009 at 10:24 pm

Such nice looking cakes :)

Did the icing naturally form the way it did, or was a little shaping required? They look so perfectly formed :)

8. penny aka jeroxie - December 12, 2009 at 8:43 am

These are so pretty and cute! IT is just too nice to eat.

9. Iron Chef Shellie - December 13, 2009 at 6:47 pm

Hi Betty – Thanks =D No worries!

Hi Conor – EXACTLY! Yes.. lost in the mail 😉 damn Australia Post!!

Hi Sarah – I hope it all goes well =D

Hi Agnes – Thank you =D

Hi Esz – chocolate + cuteness = happiness! Me too!

Hi Imasugarjunkie – Thanks =D

Hi Simon – Thanks =D The icing dropped nicely, but I had to pat it down with a spoon to make it drip!

Hi Penny – Thanks 😛 It was too cute to eat, but soooo delicious!

10. A Girl Called E - December 14, 2009 at 8:52 am

oh wow, these are my kinda puddings. i hate fruit puddings so im going to have to try these!

11. Iron Chef Shellie - December 15, 2009 at 2:45 pm

Hi A Girl Called E – I love fruit puddings, but I REALLY love these!

12. Jeanne - December 16, 2009 at 3:25 pm

These just look so yummy Shellie, and all your cook-ups just look sensational, 'Congratulations' on all your hard work. :=)
    Jeanne X :=)

13. Michelle - December 15, 2010 at 9:09 pm

They look too cute to be true! They remind me of Haigh’s Christmas Brandy Truffles. They look like Christmas puddings but they are actually truffles!