Kale Chips {baked not fried}

“The craze a little while back was kale chips. Everyone was doing it. I wasn't. But I finally did!”

Recipes | February 28, 2013
Kale Chips Feature Image
Kale Chips {baked not fried}

Kale Chips {baked not fried}

The craze a little while back was kale chips. Everyone was doing it.

I never really got on the bandwagon till I moved house and started shopping at a new fresh food market. This market has absolutely everything, especially things I only see at Asian grocers, like fresh pandan, dragon fruit… all at a cheap prices.

So when I stumbled onto kale, I just grabbed a bunch. I had no idea what I was going to do with it, I just knew I hadn’t bought it before and wanted to. The big bunch of leafy greeniness made me smile, and I headed home with hopes of deliciousness ahoy!

This recipe couldn’t be any easier if it tried. The results are crispy, healthy, green chips that everyone can enjoy, and without the guilt. I recommend using those posh sea salt flakes instead of normal table salt to make the dish extra special.

Kale Chips

• 1 bunch of kale
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a non insulated cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  2. With a knife or kitchen shears carefully remove the leaves from the thick stems and tear into bite size pieces. Wash and thoroughly dry kale with a salad spinner. Drizzle kale with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt.
  3. Bake until the edges brown but are not burnt, 10 to 15 minutes.

Kale Chips {baked not fried}

Comments

20 comments on “Kale Chips {baked not fried}
  1. Ira - February 28, 2013 at 11:29 am

Honestly though- were they yummy?

• Iron Chef Shellie - February 28, 2013 at 11:39 am

They were, but you gotta season them with salt. Just don’t eat any stalks… they aren’t good.

At the end of the day, sure potato chips are better, but these are good too!

2. Ira - February 28, 2013 at 1:53 pm

mmm i’m skeptical, I will just have to try them!!

As a sidenote- how did you get the KALE and PANDAN writing on there?
    Looks awesome!

3. Libby - February 28, 2013 at 5:42 pm

I never liked the look of kale chips (ewww, the green!) but I think I might have to give them a go – anything to get me to stop buying potato chips by the dozen every week (not even joking here!).

I do have a dehydrator at home so I might try making them using that instead of an oven…

4. leaf (the indolent cook) - February 28, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Mmmmmm, yummy! Is it my imagination, or are your blog posts getting prettier and prettier?

5. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - March 1, 2013 at 8:54 am

Love making these. SO tasty and healthy, win win. If you expect them to taste like potato chips then you’ll of course be disappointed, but they’re such a great alternative healthy wise, so I’m all for them.

6. tania@mykitchenstories.com.au - March 1, 2013 at 7:43 pm

I am sure I would love kale chips because I love anything green. I saw a 25gm packet of kale chips the other day for $5.95. Can you believe it?

7. ChopinandMysaucepan - March 1, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Dear Iron Chef Shellie,

I first saw this recipe on Not Quite Nigella and it seems you have baked them in much larger pieces which I think might be easier to eat more of. I have visions of eating up the entire bunch while watching sports on TV :)

8. GourmetGetaways - March 2, 2013 at 1:22 pm

I made bucket loads of Kale for Mr GG when my mother grew way too much… I didn’t know you could fry it, I have only ever baked kale… I like your note to use “the posh” salt. I Absolutely agree. Love your images, gorgeous as always :)

9. msihua - March 2, 2013 at 6:00 pm

I love Kale Chips.. the beautiful Hannah bought me a delicious semi-dried tomato and curry dehydrated kale chips .. so good!

10. Sara @bellyrumbles - March 3, 2013 at 5:14 pm

You will like this one. I actually had some kale in the fridge when I started reading this recipe. Stopped reading after I had read the method. I have to be kale chips in the oven as I type. Talk about reading and taking action. I have never tried them before, quite looking forward to seeing what they are like :)

11. Cara @ Gourmet Chick - March 3, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Hmmm kale chips passed me by as well but maybe I should jump on the bandwagon as well (ps great pics in this post – love it)

12. Tina @ bitemeshowme - March 4, 2013 at 7:44 am

Is that all that’s involved? If that’s not easy then I don’t know what is.

13. Amy Tong - March 5, 2013 at 2:46 am

These kale chips looks so good. I know I saw many kale chip in the blogland but I haven’t tried that yet. Guess I’ll need to jump on the bandwagon soon. 😛 I love markets that carries everything so I don’t have to get certain ingredients from Asian market on a separate trip. Too bad I have yet find such a market in my area!

14. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - March 5, 2013 at 8:04 am

You’ve finally jumped on the bandwagon of baked kale chips 😛 I haven’t tried but will give it a go soon ~ prob time I tried to eat a little bit more healthily LOL

15. April - March 5, 2013 at 12:25 pm

It sounds so simple and healthy, I’ll have to try it to see how they compare to chips. I’m such a chip addict!

16. Agnes - March 6, 2013 at 8:35 pm