Mango Melba

“A twist on the traditional peach melba, using mangoes. A great summery dessert for everyone!”

Recipes | January 4, 2013
Mango Melba - Feature Image
Mango Melba

Mango Melba

Seriously.

Shut. The. Door.

I didn’t think there was a way to improve my favourite fruit, the mango; but damn this is so so good.

A variation from the popular Peach Melba, the flavours all work so well together. The mint adds a refreshing quality, whilst the raspberry sauce adds a new depth of flavour as opposed to just eating mango on it’s own.

You NEED to try this! Trust me.

Mango Melba

Recipe from Delicious Magazine

• 4 ripe mangoes
  • 100g unsalted butter, melted
  • ΒΌ firmly packed cup (60g) brown sugar
  • 125g punnet raspberries, plus extra raspberries to serve
  • 1 tablespoon icing sugar
  • Coconut or vanilla ice cream and mint leaves to serve
  1. Preheat a chargrill pan or barbecue to medium-high heat.
  2. Cut the cheeks off the mangoes, then brush the flesh with butter and sprinkle over the brown sugar. Grill the mango cheeks, cut-side down, for 1-2 minutes until caramelised and soft. Set aside.
  3. Place the raspberries and icing sugar in a blender with 2 tablespoons water and wiz until smooth. Strain through a fine sieve into a jug. Set aside.
  4. To serve, place 2 mango cheeks on each plate with 2 scoops of ice cream. Pour over the raspberry sauce, scatter with extra raspberries and garnish with mint.

—————–
Styling Notes:
  • Hessian bag – The Vintage Shed
  • Plate – Ikea
  • Spoon – Jamie Oliver
  • Wooden serving board – Country Road
  • Mini glass jug – Country Road
  • Flower bowl – Thrifted from the op shop

Mango Melba

Comments

15 comments on “Mango Melba
  1. Sammie - January 4, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Mangoes are my favourite. This recipe reminds me of breakfast that used to be served at a gorgeous B and B in Mudgee. They served the mangoes with vanilla yoghurt and I always wondered how the mangoes tasted so divine! I think I know now! This looks great. We’re working through a box of mangoes a week, so this is rocketing to the top of the To-Try list. And the styling is sublime!

2. Candice (@candyhi5) - January 4, 2013 at 5:26 pm

OMG! I may have died and went to heaven. Yum!

3. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - January 4, 2013 at 5:35 pm

I love mangoes too and will definitely love this mango melba more than the normal peach melba :) YUM! I love love love your styling notes! I think I have the same plate too hehe

4. Esz - January 4, 2013 at 9:36 pm

That looks crazy-refreshing and delish. I could probably eat a bucket of them right now!

5. leaf (the indolent cook) - January 4, 2013 at 10:27 pm

This looks really excellent! Mango is one of my favourite fruits, too. And I also like the styling notes.

6. Gourmet getaways - January 5, 2013 at 8:25 pm

These look so delicious and healthy, I would love to try this recipe!
    One of my little ones would eat copious amounts of this dish.

7. Thanh - January 6, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Oooh looks like I need to try this. Again, beautiful food styling.

8. Tina @ bitemeshowme - January 7, 2013 at 8:46 am

So this is what “melba” is.. I’ve never known except for the flavous of ice cream. I feel so embarrassed! haha. This looks like the kind of dessert that the nephews and I would indulge in, in front of the tv!

9. Vivian - January 7, 2013 at 1:08 pm

this has me salivating over my work keyboard right now! perfect to sum up summer delights :)

10. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - January 7, 2013 at 8:17 pm

perfection right now, so summer & refreshing!

11. Agnes - January 13, 2013 at 1:01 pm

The door is shut! No mangoes will be escaping from my house. Mwhahaha.

12. msihua (@msihua) - January 13, 2013 at 1:34 pm

The styling for this is so pretty! AND I LOVE MANGOS!