{Eating Out} De Clieu

“Located in the hipster part of town, De Clieu offers amazing coffee and some good fare to go along with it.”

September 7, 2012

On the first unofficial day of Spring, I spent the day with some of my favourite people, checking out a great cafe in my favourite town, Melbourne.

My friends D and C have been travelling through North and South America for an extended period of time, and both thoroughly missed Melbourne coffee and the great cafe scene we have here. Not even in NYC do they appreciate coffee near as much as us…. well… not me personally. I love the smell of coffee, but I don’t drink it. Apparently they don’t even do fancy coffee art, a woman on one of their tours was so surprised to find a leaf on her coffee froth she had to take a photo!

I personally can’t imagine a city without a cafe scene like Melbourne, I shouldn’t take it for granted.

How good does this french toast look? If only I was in the mood for something sweet when we went!

Sweet roasted Berkshire pork neck w fried free-range egg, spring onion roti & barbeque sauce $16.50

I went for the pork neck. I had been researching blog posts for days before, so when we arrived a bit late, I didn’t have to trawl through the menu trying to decide. Although there were quite a few tempting offers, pork neck roti won.

The roti itself was crispy and flakey, and the sauce had a nice sweetness to it that worked well with the savouriness of the dish. Whilst it was a good dish, I don’t see myself rushing back for another one in a hurry, not when there are plenty of other places to try.

De Clieu is a cute little cafe, catering well to vegetarians, with EFTPOS available. Parking is a bitch around this area, so be a hipster and ride your bike, or be prepared to park a little walk away.

De Clieu on Urbanspoon

Comments

7 comments on “{Eating Out} De Clieu
  1. leaf (the indolent cook) - September 7, 2012 at 11:56 pm

I almost never drink coffee either (and that is probably one of the reasons I haven’t been to De Clieu, they seem to be more known for their coffee than their food, as far as I’m aware of, anyway). But it is really nice that Melbourne has such a vibrant coffee culture. That French toast certainly looks very decadent.

2. Hannah - September 8, 2012 at 4:36 am

I wonder what it’s like not to be in the mood for something sweet?! ;)

3. Kristy @ Southern In-Law - September 8, 2012 at 4:58 pm

You always eat out at the best looking places, haha! I laughed at “parking is a bitch around this area” – such a necessary thing to know though!

4. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef - September 8, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I get so hungry when I visit here. I’ve told myself that I’m only having a small salad for dinner but now I want everything on this page!

5. Winston - September 9, 2012 at 6:27 pm

YOWZA. De Clieu does sound like it’s living up to its reputation. Love that they’re really good for vegetarians too. Not that I’m vego, but a number of my friends are and I hate it when we go somewhere and non-vegos get awesome food while vegos get “meh” ones. Wanna try!

6. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - September 10, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Ohhh De Clieu :) I’ve seen so many people go there lately! I’m going to have to go! Everything looks so lovely especially that Brioche french toast~ I can relate to your friends! OMG when I went to NYC i was nearly dying from GOOD coffee deprivation lol and same thing in HK too!

7. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - September 14, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I need to be in the mood for sweet more, lately it’s been all eggs. The french toast does look crazy good!

Michele Froidevaux

All content on this site by Michele Froidevaux, otherwise known as Iron Chef Shellie. Her skills include food styling in her kitchen studio, lifestyle and travel photography across Australia, restaurant photography on location, building social media for her clients, recipe development with love, menu consulting for cafes and graphic design for people with discerning tastes :)