Prawn Spaghetti with Lemon Vodka Sauce

“Pasta doesn't have to be smothered in tomato sauce to be good; a simple vodka, lemon and cream sauce is just as good.”

Recipes | September 4, 2012
Prawn Spaghetti with Lemon Vodka Sauce

Prawn Spaghetti with Lemon Vodka Sauce

Pasta doesn’t have to be smothered in tomato sauce to be good; a simple vodka, lemon and cream sauce is just as good. And what’s better, you can whip this delectable dish up after work and be relaxing on the couch in no time.

You can of course alter it to your tastes; if you like more garlic, add more; if you like chilli, go ahead and add some… or lots! It’s a great flavour base for adding what you like.

I’m not sure why there is vodka in the recipe, you I couldn’t taste it, perhaps it is more a gimmick thing; anyway I’d still add it in the next time I make it just because 😛

Prawn Spaghetti with Lemon Vodka Sauce

Donna Hay

• 400g spaghetti
  • 20g butter
  • 4 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 20 green (raw) prawns, peeled with tails intact
  • 1 cup (250ml) single (pouring) cream
  • 2 tablespoons vodka
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • ½ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
  • sea salt and cracked black pepper
  1. Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water for 10-12 minutes or until al dente. Drain and keep warm.
  2. While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and prawns and cook for 2 minutes, remove from the pan and set aside.
  3. Add the cream, vodka and lemon juice to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Return the prawns to the pan with the pasta, parsley, salt and pepper and toss to combine.

Prawn Spaghetti with Lemon Vodka Sauce

Comments

14 comments on “Prawn Spaghetti with Lemon Vodka Sauce
  1. Winston - September 4, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Omg this is why I love pastas, they actually take close to no time to prepare and there’s like a bazillion ways to reinvent them. YUMMO… I feel so “grown up” with this too. I shall eat it in front of a kid to deny him of this to make myself feel superior. Yes. I kid. YUM!

2. Maria @ Feisty Tapas - September 4, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I keep on seeing recipes for pasta sauces with vodka, I am going to have to give this one a try!

3. Kristy @ Southern In-Law - September 4, 2012 at 6:41 pm

So many pasta sauces use vodka, but I too have no idea why. It didn’t impact the taste at all?

Stunning photos, as always!

4. Adrian (Food Rehab) - September 4, 2012 at 8:41 pm

mmmmm…I’m getting tipsy just reading this LOL Love. IT.

5. Eat Sew Love - September 5, 2012 at 9:16 am

Yummm – can’t wait to try this!

6. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef - September 5, 2012 at 9:48 am

I think I could put your lemon vodka sauce on dirt and exclaim to friends how good it was. :) Lovely photo!

7. Nic@diningwithastud - September 5, 2012 at 10:45 am

I love that its a creamy sauce but not mega heavy. YUM 😀

8. Lizzy (Good Things) - September 5, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Looks and sounds like a tasty little number!

9. Ali - September 5, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Wow! Pasta with vodka…who would have thought! This does look like a tasty little number, I must trip it one day :)

10. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - September 6, 2012 at 12:02 am

This recipe sure is unique Shellie 😉 I’ve never thought of putting alcohol in pasta ~ but it looks and sounds delicious!

11. Sara (Belly Rumbles) - September 12, 2012 at 12:21 am

Love the fact there is vodka in this, simple flavours with a twist. Just had the thought, I know you were going away from tomato based sauce here, but bloody mary pasta!

12. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - September 14, 2012 at 12:40 pm

love! have been wanting to try something similar for some time. Prawns + pasta = bliss.

13. lizzie - strayed from the table - October 2, 2012 at 8:06 am

Donna Hay is just too clever with her recipes. If you want you could replace the vodka with white wine. Yours looks pretty damn tasty.