{Eating Out} Shed 5

“I was invited down to South Wharf Promenade to try Shed 5 with a large handful of other bloggers for a night of Greek cuisine.”

Dining | August 13, 2012

{Eating Out} Shed 5

South Wharf Promenade has certainly come a long way from just being sheds. Full of new restaurants popping up, it’s way more exciting than cold, windy Docklands, and still close to all the action. I think come Summer, this place will really take off, it’s just a matter of getting people to know it’s out there!

I was invited to try Shed 5 with a large handful of other bloggers for a night of Greek cuisine.

No prizes for why the restaurant’s name is Shed 5… yes it was indeed shed number 5. There is also a private dining room which is held in an old wharfi station. Most restaurants in the strip have one in their space as well, and are all heritage listed. Whilst some restaurants use theirs as an office, I think it’s great that Shed 5 use it as a part of their dining experience. Shed 5 also made use of the stunning 120 year old floor boards.

Shed 5 have been open for just over a month, with a great range of food, most of which utilises their wood fired oven. I’ve not had a lot of Greek food before, and all the Greek food I’ve had in the past has been the same sort of fare. Head chef Vas Donoudes has done a great job of providing an excellent variety of dishes for everyone to enjoy.

Cyprian Lamb Sheftalies
Tomato & cinnamon sauce, truffled pecorino – $15

Flatbread & Fava Puree
Fried chickpeas, shallots, hazelnuts – $10

N’duja & Mozzarella Croquettes
Oregano & rosemary aioli – $4 each

The croquettes…. wow. Never had ones before that were so creamy on the inside, whilst remaining crispy on the outside. And the little kick of spice made it perfect.

The pickled onions ontop of the fava puree added a much welcome sourness to the dish. I’m currently obsessed with pickles too 😛

And well, meatball queen gives these meatballs a thumbs up… especially with fresh bread.

Slow Cooked W.A. Ocotopus
Saffron Kiplers, capers, sorrel mayo – $17

Smoked Eel
Ocean trout, capers sherry rillettes – $15

Saganaki Cheese
Grilled onions, roast peppers, barberry – $15

King Green Prawns
Barrel aged feta, tomatoes and sorrel = $31

Both fantastic, the cheese wasn’t extremely salty, but was lovely and gooey. The prawns, full of flavour, and cooked to absolute perfection.

Slow Roasted Lamb Neck
Dates, pinenuts, capers – $32

Bannockburn Half Chicken
Green raisins, pinenuts, roasted chestnut dolmades – $29

Greek Village Salad
Fennel, peppers, olives, barrel aged fetta – $14

Wow, both these mains were amazining. The lamb was savoury, sweet, and falling apart. Whilst the chicken, which gets put in the wood fire oven for only 11 minutes, comes out so crispy and amazinly juicy. If I wasn’t so full I would have eaten more!

Spiced Halva Semifreddo
Quince sorbet, salted caramel, ricotta doughnut – $13

Goats Milk Crema
Walnut baklava, coffee sorbet, metaxa jelly – $13

I preferred the semifreddo as I’m not into coffee, but having the cream without the coffee sorbet was lovely as well. The ricotta doughnuts were the bomb dot com.

I found the dishes to be well seasoned, full of flavour and with a great variety, I would happily return as a paying customer. The atmosphere of the restaurant is bright, even at night, and laid back.

Shed 5 on Urbanspoon
Iron Chef Shellie dined as a guest of Shed 5 thanks to Gun Communications.

Comments

16 comments on “{Eating Out} Shed 5
  1. Cara @ Gourmet Chick - August 13, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I was here for dinner last week as well and really enjoyed the slow roasted lamb. I agree it will be great in summer – a little chilly at the moment.

2. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - August 13, 2012 at 10:51 pm

YAY! Another new addition to the South Wharf area :) OOO everything looks great and quite reasonably priced too hehe wow goats milk crema? How did you like it? i don’t usually like anything to do with goats but i’m really interesteddddddd

3. Marta @ What Should I Eat For Breakfast Today? - August 14, 2012 at 7:24 am

I have to organize something like it in Berlin :) Food looks amazing. Plus a nice company :)

4. Tina @ bitemeshowme - August 14, 2012 at 8:08 am

Wow that lamb sheftalies and croquettes got me (and it was the first photo!) And I think there needs to be more ricotta doughnuts on that plate 😉

5. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef - August 14, 2012 at 10:04 am

I think it says a lot that they’re only a month old and passionate food lovers like you rave about their food. Lots of new restaurants are just finding their feet in that amount of time.

6. Nic@diningwithastud - August 14, 2012 at 10:54 am

Gorgeous meals! There’s nothing there that I wouldnt eat. That could be dangerous 😉 haha

7. Michelle - August 14, 2012 at 10:57 am

The flatbread and fava puree looks awesome!

8. Jen @ Savory Simple - August 14, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Everything looks incredible!!

9. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake - August 15, 2012 at 1:57 am

I haven’t been to South Wharf Promenade yet, but it sounds like a fantastic place to dine with so many nice looking establishments…

10. Amy @ Food Crush - August 15, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Quince sorbet, salted caramel, ricotta doughnut – O M G! Give me some of that!

11. Adrian (Food Rehab) - August 15, 2012 at 10:15 pm

aaaaaw yea! If I had more room, I would have gunned down more of that semifreddo!

12. Sara (Belly Rumbles) - August 18, 2012 at 2:27 am

Not been to South Wharf Promenade when in Melb, should stick my nose around next time I am down.

13. msihua - August 18, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I loved the food there.. but the desserts were really what stood out for me! NOMS

14. Thanh - August 23, 2012 at 7:44 am

Another place worth going to. Love your photos. Beautiful.

15. Agnes - August 24, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Wasn’t some of the food just sublime?

😉