{Thermomix Thursday} Eezy Peezy Crumpets

“Most crumpet recipes involve yeast, which involves waiting around for an hour or more... who has time for that in the morning? These are ready to cook within seconds.”

{Thermomix Thursday} Eezy Peezy Crumpets

Crumpets have been on my list to try making for a while now. I’ve been so busy on weekends lately I haven’t made fancy breakfasts, but luckily I had zero plans on the weekend just passed, so crumpets were on the menu.

Most crumpet recipes involve yeast, which involves waiting around for an hour or more… who has time for that in the morning? These are ready to cook within seconds.

The biggest question was what to have on the crumpets. I didn’t have crumpets too often when growing up, but I remember putting peanut butter on them. I decided to try them with some jam as well, and then peanut butter and jam together. It didn’t matter what I put on them, they were so fluffly and light… SO much better than store bought crumpets.

What do you put on your crumpets?

For non-thermomix people: use icing sugar or caster sugar instead of raw sugar; combine all ingredients in a bowl, whisk until smooth, and cook on the stove the same way as below.

Eezy Peezy Crumpets

Leanne Sloss – [source]

• 1 tablespoon raw sugar
  • 120 g self raising flour
  • ¼ teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 160 g milk

Weigh in raw sugar and mill for 3 seconds on speed 9 to make caster sugar.

Add remaining ingredients and mix for 5 seconds on speed 3-4. Check you have a smooth consistency- if not, scrape down and repeat.

Add a little butter to a pan and around egg rings and heat pan on low heat for 1 minute.  Add about 2 tablespoons of crumpet batter to each egg ring and cook over the low heat without turning for around 8 minutes. Crumpets are cooked when the bubbles stop rising to the surface. Repeat with any remaining mixture.

Makes 9 crumpets.

Comments

19 comments on “{Thermomix Thursday} Eezy Peezy Crumpets
  1. CheezyK - July 19, 2012 at 9:47 am

Oh yum! Growing up crumpets were all about butter and honey … and the gooey melty mess that would end up on your plate because both would melt their way down through all the holes :) Of course, Vegemite also featured strongly! I like the less holey, almost pancake-hybrid look that these have. Thanks for popping the non-Thermomix tip in there, I do believe I’ll give these a shot.

2. Em - July 19, 2012 at 10:10 am

They look fabulous . My parents are staying this weekend so might have to try them out on them. I like butter and vegemite on my crumpets.

3. Jadey - July 19, 2012 at 11:35 am

Yum yum yum I might make these today. I was going to make the in the mix crumpets buts they need an hour to prove.

• Iron Chef Shellie - July 19, 2012 at 11:52 am

I’ll get around to trying those one day, but I don’t like waiting for things to prove sometimes 😛 Enjoy!

4. Maureen - July 19, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I went out looking for crumpet rings the other day and I went to one shop who said, “we don’t carry them any more because they rust.”

Then I saw yours. I’ll have crumpets by the end of the week! These look so good.

• Iron Chef Shellie - July 19, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I didn’t know whether to get the metal or silicone ones. OR what shape to get!! Enjoy :)

• trish - December 5, 2012 at 4:09 pm

they are not crumpets but pikelets. crumpets are always made with yeast. they still look good though!!!

5. Martyna @ Wholesome Cook - July 19, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Oooh nice! We love crumpets but I’ve never made them. Thanks for adding instructions for us, non-Thermomix folk :-)

6. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - July 19, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I wonder how many Thermomix posts you’ll have until you’ve convinced me to get it 😛 these crumpets look amazing!

7. Michelle - July 19, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I had crumpets before on a flight. Did not really like the look of it. But this is good enough to convert me!

8. Amy - July 19, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Gorgeous photos, Shelley. I put butter and honey on my crumpets. Gosh, takes me back to my childhood!

9. Tina @ bitemeshowme - July 20, 2012 at 9:22 am

That is ridiculously easy… that its ridiculous!!!!

10. Hannah - July 20, 2012 at 10:09 am

I was always all about salted butter with extra salt on mine. I loved that with a glass of juice for afternoon tea. My dad used to pour honey and double cream on them for a really decadent dessert crumpet. So delicious!

11. Nic@diningwithastud - July 20, 2012 at 1:53 pm

There’s really nothing that the Thermomix cant do 😮

12. Kristy @ Southern In-Law - July 20, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Oh I have always wanted to try making crumpets – my family would LOVE these. If only I had a thermomix – they really need to rename that thing the doitall.

13. love2dine - July 20, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Wow it looks very impressive. Good idea.

14. Agnes - July 21, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Sudden craving for peanut butter and crumpets. What are you doing to me, Shellie?!

15. Stefanie - October 18, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Would these work without egg? The bought ones have no egg, chemicals I know but we have an allergy :(

16. Luciana - November 16, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Our 4yo ate them all & asked for more. Next time I will either double or triple your recipe.