Lamb Cutlets with Spicy Tomato Couscous

“Here's another awesome dish for you to try. Easy, tasty and looks fancy.... and if you don't take the seeds out of your chilli... extra spicy!”

Lamb Cutlets with Spicy Tomato Couscous

Lamb Cutlets with Spicy Tomato Couscous

Here’s another awesome dish for you to try. Easy, tasty and looks fancy…. and if you don’t take the seeds out of your chilli… extra spicy!

There was no need for the extra chilli in this case, and perhaps if I served it with the yoghurt he would have eaten more, but I was fresh out of yoghurt. Plus, a little chilli is good for the immune and metabolic system πŸ˜‰

I bought Salt Bush Lamb cutlets from Gary’s Meats at the Prahran Market as I heard they were great. And for $3.60 PER CHOP I hoped my money was well spent. They are ‘naturally seasoned’ thanks to the environment they live in, and live in a less stressful environment. They were nicely trimmed and tasted good, but personally I don’t think I’d be paying that much again for something I couldn’t really taste a difference in. Grass fed vs grain fed beef is a different story all together though.

Lamb Cutlets with Spicy Tomato Couscous

Donna Hay

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 red onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 long red chillies, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
  • 3Β½ cups (875ml) chicken stock
  • sea salt and cracked black pepper
  • 1 cup (200g) instant couscous
  • 8 x 75g lamb cutlets, trimmed
  • ΒΌ cup mint leaves, store-bought caramelised onions, chopped red chilli and thick (natural) yoghurt, to serve
  1. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and chilli and cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and cook for a further 30 seconds. Add the tomato, stock, salt and pepper and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the coucous, cover with a tight-fitting lid and remove from the heat. Set aside for 10 minutes.
  2. Heat the remaining olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over high heat. Cook lamb for 3-4 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to your liking. Top the couscous with the lamb, mint, caramelised onion and chili and serve with the yoghurt.

Lamb Cutlets with Spicy Tomato Couscous

Comments

16 comments on “Lamb Cutlets with Spicy Tomato Couscous
  1. Esz - July 15, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Lamb is sooo expensive as it is – for how much you get, which is like two small mouthfuls per chop. I don’t buy it very often at all!
    This dish still looks super yummy though :-) Need to get on the cous-cous bandwagon I think!

2. Cara @ Gourmet Chick - July 15, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I love lamb cutlets – as Esz said they are expensive but such a great treat and this looks like a great speedy meal to make

3. April - July 15, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Clearly I won’t be wasting my money on lamb hehe :) Cous cous is so good at soaking up tasty juices and sauces though.

4. leaf (the indolent cook) - July 15, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Bring on the chilli heat! That looks like a great winter dish – warm and delicious and easy to make.

5. Food is our religion - July 15, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Interesting, never had lamb cutlers with couscous together before!

6. Michelle - July 16, 2012 at 12:12 am

lamb cutlets are the best! they are uber cheap and pack the same amount of deliciousness like any expensive cuts!

7. Kelly - July 16, 2012 at 3:48 am

Wow! Such a gorgeous dish! I agree the lamb cutlets can get quite expensive. But nice treat! Perfect with couscous too. I personally never remove chili seeds because I like it really hot. :)

8. Tina @ bitemeshowme - July 16, 2012 at 8:33 am

Can’t believe each chop was only $3.60. That’s not even normal. Love the simple flavours you brought upon this dish Shellie – definitely very friendly for those at home :)

9. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - July 16, 2012 at 9:03 am

Great meal for dinner :) Unforunately I don’t eat lamb though :( wonder if we can use beef or another type of protein because I really like the tomato cous cous ~

10. Tania @ A Perfect Pantry - July 16, 2012 at 11:47 am

Just perfect. Love what you do with the cous cous… a great match with the chops:)

11. CheezyK - July 16, 2012 at 11:56 am

Oooooh YUM!! I might even be able to get my man to try cous cous again if I do this to it, cheers! πŸ˜€

12. Hannah - July 16, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I grew up eating lamb chops with mint sauce, but haven’t had them in so long! Lovely colours here :)

13. Maureen - July 16, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I love lamb cutlets but I’ve never had them with this sort of couscous before. I’m in love with you. I’m sure of it. :)

14. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake - July 16, 2012 at 7:34 pm

This just reminded me I haven’t had proper lamb in so long! I would LOVE to have some lamb chops right now…your photos are making me so hungry…

That does look like a lot of chilli though, you crazy chilli lover. πŸ˜›

15. Agnes - July 21, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Ouch, that is exxy… definitely an occasional treat meal.

16. Thanh - July 30, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Wow those cutlets are super expensive. Definitely not for me.