Moroccan Kofta with Spicy Tomato Sauce

“I can't tell you how amazeballs this dish is. It's saucy, it's comforting, and just oh my gawd so perfect!”

Recipes | July 9, 2012
Moroccan Koftas Feature Image1
Moroccan Kofta with Spicy Tomato Sauce

Moroccan Kofta with Spicy Tomato Sauce

I literally just cooked this, ate this and now blogging this. There was a small gap in between as I wasted time on the iPad digesting πŸ˜›

I can’t tell you how amazeballs this dish is. It’s saucy, it’s comforting, and just omg so perfect! Whilst eating it, I couldn’t stop saying.. ‘OMG this is so good!’ Usually I instagram before I eat or whilst I eat dinner…. I tried but I just couldn’t stop eating… this had to wait till I had finished stuffing my face πŸ˜›

It’s not too hard to make, and was very do-able after work. Pine nuts, yoghurt and lemony couscous are essential to enjoy this dish. I cannot wait to have leftovers for work lunch tomorrow!

Moroccan Kofta with Spicy Tomato Sauce

• 1 tsp sugar

Lemon Couscous

• 1 cup (200g) couscous
  • 1 cup (250ml) boiling water
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • ΒΌ cup chopped coriander leaves
  1. To make the sauce, heat the oil in a pan, add the garlic and briefly fry. Add tomatoes, harissa, sugar and season. Simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 mins until sauce has thickened.
  2. Meanwhile, preheat grill on high. With wet hands, mix the meat in a bowl with the onion, coriander, mint and plenty of seasoning. Shape into 8 sausages, about 10cm long, then thread a bamboo skewer through the centre of each. Grill the kofta for 6-8 mins, turning until they are browned all over. (Alternatively, fry in a frying pan until brown, thread onto skewers to serve).
  3. Meanwhile, make the lemon couscous, place couscous in a heatproof bowl and pour over boiling water. Stir. Cover and stand for 5 minutes. Fluff up couscous with a fork, then stir in lemon juice, oil and coriander.
  4. Spoon tomato sauce over warm platter, drizzle over yoghurt and top with kofta. Scatter over pine nuts and serve with couscous.

Moroccan Kofta with Spicy Tomato Sauce

Comments

28 comments on “Moroccan Kofta with Spicy Tomato Sauce
  1. Katie - July 9, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Looks delicious! Can’t wait to try it myself. =)

2. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake - July 9, 2012 at 11:54 pm

I’ve loving koftas and all dishes from the Middle East right now. Love it! You make it sound so easy. πŸ˜‰

3. Kelly - July 10, 2012 at 12:16 am

Wow that does look scrumptious! I shall bookmark this and make a beef version. πŸ˜€

4. Amy - July 10, 2012 at 12:31 am

You’ve inspired me. Thanks Shellie!

5. Tina @ bitemeshowme - July 10, 2012 at 8:44 am

The dish itself looks complicated, but reading the ingredients list it’s not so bad. You are superwoman Shellie!

6. CheezyK - July 10, 2012 at 9:02 am

This looks fabulous! You had me drooling at 7:30 in the morning πŸ˜€

7. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - July 10, 2012 at 11:51 am

You’re too efficient Shellie πŸ˜€ Looks great! But do you think I can use beef mince instead? Because I don’t lamb hehe

8. Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef - July 10, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Holy cow!!! This looks so good and I want this dish for dinner. I can’t because I’m going to Brisbane for the night but tomorrow – for sure!! This will be on my table. I’m salivating just looking at it. I love kofta :) Brilliant dish.

• Iron Chef Shellie - July 10, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I just had leftovers for lunch and I want it for dinner again πŸ˜› Enjoy!

9. Hannah - July 10, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I swear those photos could be straight out of a Donna Hay cookbook. Gorgeous!

• Iron Chef Shellie - July 10, 2012 at 3:11 pm

you are too kind, but the white balance is off πŸ˜› bring back daylight savings!! πŸ˜›

10. Libby - July 10, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Mmmm yarms. DEFINITELY giving it a go next week, if only just to bring it to lunch the next day to make my workmates jealous!

11. tania@mykitchenstories.com.au - July 10, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Looks delish. What a tasty combination … cook eat and photograph , you go girl

12. Adrian (Food Rehab) - July 11, 2012 at 2:20 pm

haha, love the speedy gonzales in you! This looks so comforting

13. Winston - July 11, 2012 at 5:31 pm

This dish really is worth a try!! I like that everything is made from scratch but not too long or complicated to whip at all… AWESOME for lazy cooks like me LOL

14. Gourmet getaways - July 11, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Oh it does look so good! I love a good kofta, and cous cous with lemon is the only way to have it. Laughed at the short turn around time between eating and blogging! Good job :) Plus you have leftovers, even better :)

15. msihua - July 11, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Another reason why H should just marry you now before I do! I wantss!!!

16. Esz - July 14, 2012 at 2:43 pm

This looks mega yum! Will try it some time soon I think (when I actually have someone to cook for! The Mr is away for aaages!)

17. April - July 15, 2012 at 9:28 pm

You are raving about this dish so much, I’m going to have to make it… lamb mince and all! :)

18. Born27 - July 17, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I love this recipe! I’ve already tasted this Moroccan Kofta and I really love the taste. The spiciness of the lamp will leave in your mouth that you can’t resist to ask for more.

19. Thanh - July 30, 2012 at 5:22 pm

OMG I’m definitely making this. Thanks for the recipe.