Chocolate, Hazelnut & Frangelico Tart

“Chocolate, hazelnuts and Frangelico. It's a lovely tart, but be careful if you have false teeth!”

Chocolate, Hazelnut & Frangelico Tart

Chocolate, Hazelnut & Frangelico Tart

I get my sweet, chocolaholic tooth from my Grandma. I remember visiting her when she used to live in the country, she had a chocolate drawer in her kitchen, and after dinner I was allowed one treatie.

I also inherited the little dessert pocket in the stomach. No matter how full you are after main course, there is ALWAYS room for dessert. So when I went to visit her over the weekend for afternoon tea, I decided to bring this chocolate blow out dish. I had picked up chocolate pastry a while ago and hadn’t decided what to do with it, then I found this recipe.

It was sweet, and sticky (thanks to the golden syrup). I was afraid it was too sticky, glad I didn’t share it around the retirement village or someone’s teeth might have come loose! Grandma loved it, even managed two slices over the course of a few games of Rummikub.

Chocolate, Hazelnut & Frangelico Tart

Valli Little – [source]

300g packet Careme chocolate pastry*
100g unsalted butter
3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
1/2 cup (175g) golden syrup
1/2 cup (165g) Nutella
2 eggs
2 tbs Frangelico or other hazelnut liqueur
1/2 cup (75g) roasted hazelnuts
Icing sugar, to dust

1. Grease a 36cm x 12cm loose-bottomed, fluted rectangular tart pan. Line the pan with the pastry, trimming any excess. Re-roll the pastry trimmings until 5mm thick, then use a fluted pastry cutter to cut into long strips and place on a lined tray. Place the pastry case and strips in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
  2. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
  3. Prick the pastry base with a fork, then line it with baking paper and fill with pastry weights or uncooked rice.
  4. Bake for 8 minutes, then remove paper and weights and return to the oven for 3 minutes or until crisp and dry. Reduce oven to 160°C.
  5. Place butter and caster sugar in a saucepan over low heat and stir until sugar has dissolved. Add golden syrup and Nutella, stirring until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly. Stir in eggs, Frangelico and nuts. Pour into pastry case, then arrange pastry strips in a lattice pattern on top. Bake for 45 minutes or until filling is set.
  6. Cool, dust with icing sugar, slice and serve.

* For stockists, visit: caremepastry.com.

Chocolate, Hazelnut & Frangelico Tart

Comments

20 comments on “Chocolate, Hazelnut & Frangelico Tart
  1. msihua - May 21, 2012 at 9:49 pm

You are such an awesome granddaughter!

2. Cara @ Gourmet Chick - May 21, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I so have the dessert stomach as well – always room for dessert and I would certainly have room for this chocolate and hazelnut tart – looks sensational.

3. Christina @ The Hungry Australian - May 21, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Yum, yum, yum. Love everything about this tart but I am really intrigued by the photo of Rummikub. What is that? Nice new blog header, too!

4. Popcorn & Toast - May 22, 2012 at 12:01 am

Too precious. I am incredibly envious of your baking skills! x

5. Michelle - May 22, 2012 at 6:14 am

shall google up what rummikub is. hehe.

6. Tina @ bitemeshowme - May 22, 2012 at 8:34 am

If I saw that at a cafe in those window displays, I’d probably buy the whole thing.

7. Angie - May 22, 2012 at 8:54 am

Looks totally decadent! Always have room for dessert in the dessert stomach 😉

8. Gourmet getaways - May 22, 2012 at 9:55 am

Oh this looks absolutely decadent!! My nan gave me my love of cooking so I may have to make and share this with her.

I tried to pin the recipe but the images would stick, I think because they were instagram. I will have to try and just bookmark it :0

• Iron Chef Shellie - May 22, 2012 at 10:16 am

Not sure, it’s possibly cos they are hosted with Flickr. Something I’ll have to look into!

9. Michelle @ The Bakeanista - May 22, 2012 at 10:16 am

Oh it looks really yums! And I agree, regardless of how full I am, I can still have desserts. 😀

P/S: I LOVE THE NEW HEADER!

10. Nic@diningwithastud - May 22, 2012 at 11:40 am

Love love love love LOVE this tart! Oh and the new banner is gorgeous 😀

11. Esz - May 22, 2012 at 12:48 pm

That looks intense! Intensely good 😉 Mmm yum. Choc pastry is awesome too. Must try this Careme stuff!

12. Jennifer (Delicieux) - May 22, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Oh my god this tart looks SO good Shellie! I’d love a slice of this. I also have the dessert stomach too. My fiance jokes that everyone has room in their big toe for dessert, and it’s certainly true for me.

13. Hannah - May 22, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Grandmas with sweet tooths are the best. My late grandma taught me how to make a delicious afternoon snack of grated granny smith apples mixed with caster sugar :)

14. Vien @ We Dare Food - May 22, 2012 at 3:04 pm

so nice! :) hehe I’m sure your grandma enjoyed it!! btw, love your cute header!!!! toooo cute!

15. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - May 23, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Naww what a gorgeous post :) so sweet! Love frangelico.

16. marcellina - May 23, 2012 at 10:17 pm

How wonderful to share a game and afternoon tea with your nan! And I imagine that this is a dessert no one could resist! I love that your grandma had a “chocolate draw”. I must think of starting one for myself but I fear it will always be empty.

17. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - May 24, 2012 at 11:37 pm

So sweet to visit your Grandma and to bring her such a sweet and delicious tart! I would bake for my grandma too :( but she has diabetes so she can’t have much desserts.

This tart looks AMAZING! I can’t wait to try it out because i’ve heard so many good things about the Careme chocolate pastry hehe I also need to go get some Frangelico too ~

What is Rummikub I’ve never heard of it before?

18. claire - May 25, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Rummikub is THE BEST!

19. tania@mykitchenstories - May 26, 2012 at 9:09 pm

What a lovely grand daughter. you are a danger at a retirement village but still a gem