Jools’ Pregnant Pasta

“So after Cherrie had been cooking practically non-stop from Jamie’s 30 Minute Meals cookbook, I started watching the TV show and now want to cook everything from the cookbook. This recipe goes with a salad and a dessert of frangipane tarts, but instead I made a banana cake (recipe to come) as I had some rather...”

February 26, 2012

This recipe goes with a salad and a dessert of frangipane tarts, but instead I made a banana cake (recipe to come) as I had some rather sad bananas in the fruit bowl.

The pasta itself is full of flavour, considering you are essentially making a ragu in 30 minutes, when they usually take hours to make. And let me tell you, this tastes even better the next day for leftovers!

To get the recipe for the tarts and salad that go with this pasta, head to : http://www.mydaily.co.uk/2010/10/19/jamie-olivers-30-minute-meals-jools-pregnant-pasta/

Jools’ Pregnant Pasta

Jamie Oliver

4 spring onions
1 carrot
1 stick of celery
1–2 fresh red chillies
1 x 6-pack of good-quality sausages
(approx. 400g)
1 heaped teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon dried oregano
500g dried penne
4 cloves of garlic
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
a few sprigs of Greek basil, or regular basil

1. Trim the spring onions, carrot and celery. Roughly chop all the vegetables, then blitz in the food processor with the chillies (stalks removed). Add the sausages, 1 heaped teaspoon of fennel seeds and 1 teaspoon of oregano. Keep pulsing until well mixed, then spoon this mixture into the hot frying pan with a lug of olive oil, breaking it up and stirring as you go. Keep checking on it and stirring while you get on with other jobs.
  2. Put a large deep saucepan on a ow heat and fill with boiled water. Fill and reboil the kettle.
  3. Top up the saucepan with more boiled water if needed. Season well then add the penne and cook according to packet instructions, with the lid askew.
  4. Crush 4 unpeeled cloves of garlic into the sausage mixture and stir in 4 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and the tinned tomatoes. Add a little of the starchy cooking water from the pasta to loosen if needed.
  5. Drain the pasta, reserving about a wineglass worth of the cooking water. Tip the pasta into the pan of sauce and give it a gentle stir, adding enough of the cooking water to bring it to a silky consistency. Taste, correct the seasoning, then tip into a large serving bowl and take straight to the table with the rest of the Parmesan for grating over. Scatter over a few basil leaves.

Comments

20 comments on “Jools’ Pregnant Pasta
  1. Kat (Spatula, Spoon and Saturday) - February 26, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Love the new heading! 😀

I have so many Jamie cookbooks that I feel like I should do a Jamie cook-through.

2. Mez - February 26, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Heyyyyyyyyyyyy that looks awesome!!!
    I got Foxtel brainwashed into a 30min meal marathon yesterday… and now want to cook everything too… My only gripe with his 30 min meals is if you cooked the whole 30 min meal (main, sides, dessert) you could potentially be spending around $100 for all the ingredients (this is based on a meal I saw yesterday).

Apart from that, yes, yes I want to cook everything too!!!

xox

• Iron Chef Shellie - February 28, 2012 at 7:28 pm

I never thought about the cost! Only seen a few eps though. Now I’m paying attention to the cost!

3. kristy @ ksayerphoto - February 26, 2012 at 3:03 pm

This looks delicious, Shellie! :)

4. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - February 26, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I love the idea of using sausages-I used to do that to make meatballs as they’re already flavoured. But this looks even easier-love it Shellie! :)

5. Esz - February 26, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Hmm I wouldn’t say $100 for a meal from the book but it isn’t cheap some of the time. Eg – the cuts of meat can be quite dear and if you don’t have your own herb garden, all those herbs are pretty expensive.
    I would say closer to $50-60. But the portions are always for 4 people or more and its a BIG meal. So in that respect, I think it’s not an excessive price to pay for how good the food is.

Anyways – I just love Jamie and he’s doing such an awesome job actually trying to change how people think about food. His recipes have a distinct “Jamie” flavour and it’s amazing how much complexity in taste you can achieve in such a short amount of time using his recipes.
    The format of the book is really neat too, in that it’s not just single recipes, but he teaches you how to make the whole meal in the order it should be made in.

6. Michelle chin - February 26, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Why is it called the pregnant pasta? Hahaha

• Iron Chef Shellie - February 28, 2012 at 7:29 pm

It was invented whilst Jamie’s wife Jools was preggers and wanted a nice ragu in about 20 mins

7. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - February 26, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Hhahaha I love the name of the pasta hehe ‘Jool’s Pregnant pasta’ 😛 I love Jamie Olivers easy recipes ~ especially the ones in his Food Revolution cookbook! Haven’t got the 30 minute one yet ~

8. Nic@diningwithastud - February 27, 2012 at 9:20 am

I adore his 30 minute meals. Fab recipes and they actually do take 30 minutes. The washing up however….. lol

9. tania@mykitchenstories - February 27, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Hes always good value. I love his 30 minute meals. Your version looks great

10. Sara (Belly Rumbles) - February 27, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Quick and sounds so tasty, love quick meals!

11. thelittleloaf - February 27, 2012 at 7:09 pm

We have that book and I’ve made this recipe lots of times – it’s so good! Got to love a Jamie Oliver recipe :-)

12. Nicole Schuman - February 28, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I love the recipe’s name.. Jool’s Pregnant Pasta. :) And it really looks so yummy.. Thank for sharing your recipe!

13. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - March 3, 2012 at 11:42 am

I thought this might be a hidden message post 😉 no iron chef baby on the way? hehe.

14. Ms.Harrison - March 5, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Yummy! I think I’m getting pregnant when I see this delicious “pregnant pasta”… : lol:

All content on this site by Shellie Froidevaux, otherwise known as Iron Chef Shellie. Her skills include food styling in her kitchen studio, lifestyle and travel photography across Australia, restaurant photography on location, building social media for her clients, recipe development with love, menu consulting for cafes and graphic design for people with discerning tastes :)