Pork Tacos

“Leave the yellow boxes at the supermarket! Once you try these, you won’t need the help of Mexican flavours that come in the yellow box. You may choose to add some chilli if you need a bit of a kick. I went for the soft taco shells as every time we have the hard ones,...”

Recipes | January 31, 2012
Pork Tacos

Pork Tacos

You may choose to add some chilli if you need a bit of a kick. I went for the soft taco shells as every time we have the hard ones, they break as soon as you bite into them. Then you have taco filling dripping down your hands, and the taco eating experience has instantly gone from fun to fail. Recently Dad and I would just mush up the hard shells and mince and filling and have open tacos 😛

This recipe didn’t say to serve with lettuce which I usually would. I thought I would miss it, but definitely didn’t. I think the mounds of coriander I put on mine made for a more refreshing taste.

Pork Tacos

BBC Good Food Magazine

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 brown onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
500g pork mince
1½ tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cumin
½ cup apple cider vinegar
400g tomato passata
Taco shells or soft tacos
1 tomato, chopped
1 small red onion, finely chopped
½ cup grated light tasty cheese
½ cup light sour cream
coriander sprigs, to serve

1. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan on medium. Add brown onion and cook for 5 mins, until softened. Add garlic and cook for 1 min, until fragrant. Increase heat to high, add pork mince and cook, stirring to break up any lumps, for 5 mins, until browned. Add brown sugar and cumin and cook for 1 min, until fragrant. Add vinegar and simmer  for 3-4 minutes, until reduced.
  2. Stir through passata and simmer for 10 minutes until liquid reduces and thickens.
  3. Serve pork with taco shells, chopped tomato, red onion, cheese, sour cream and coriander.

Pork Tacos

Comments

9 comments on “Pork Tacos
  1. The Food Sage - January 31, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Must say, i don’t mind a bit of taco juice running down my hands! Adds to the experience. Go the tacos! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

2. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - February 1, 2012 at 3:19 am

YUMMY :) delicious! I’ve always lived off those yellow boxes but hehe i don’t think I need them with this recipe it’s quite easy ~

I’ve also preferred soft tacos hehe the hard ones just don’t do it for me, it’s too crunchy ~

3. Tina @ bitemeshowme - February 1, 2012 at 6:47 am

There’s an idea – to substitute lettuce for corriander! It would make it less full too! GENIUS!

4. Esz - February 1, 2012 at 11:14 am

Oooooh that looks so much yummier than the stuff you get in the yellow box. I love your easy dinner recipes – I dont read many other blogs that have as many practical things to make as yours :-)

I dont like the hard taco shells either…Who CAN eat those neatly? Its impossible.

• Iron Chef Shellie - February 1, 2012 at 11:35 am

awww thanks Esz! I like to have recipes that are easy to make, that you can put together easily after work :)

5. Cara @ Gourmet Chick - February 1, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I totally agree. Real tacos are a revelation after too much Taco Bell and the other horrendous supermarket offerings.

6. Becca - February 2, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Soft tacos much better for kids to lessen messy.. we put a little bit
    of chili to make it more exciting while eating 😀

what more can i say?! Tacos is the best!!!

7. Kelly - February 2, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Oh wow! The photos look amazing! I think I’ve developed quite a skill with hard taco shells, no messy taco juice! But the other half has always preferred soft tacos. Looks like I’ll have to give this one a go then.

8. Sara (Belly Rumbles) - February 4, 2012 at 1:54 am

I am a crispy taco shell girl, but I agree with leaving the yellow boxes at the supermarket. Your pork tacos look delicious.