Banh Mi (Vietnamese Chicken Rolls)

“This is seriously the easiest, most tastiest dinner or lunch option you must try!! You basically do all the prep the day before, then just cook chicken, put it all in a roll and BAM! You have the best meal ever. I’ve included the full recipe below, but I left out the cucumber, and I also left...”

January 8, 2012

You basically do all the prep the day before, then just cook chicken, put it all in a roll and BAM! You have the best meal ever. I’ve included the full recipe below, but I left out the cucumber, and I also left out the chilli and coriander for Hamsley. I went for all the chilli and coriander and it was amazing. The sourness of the pickled carrot, against the juicy caramelised chicken, all in a crispy roll…. I’m drooling at the thought of it. I’m totally making this again this week.

Since I’m obsessed with Vietnamese food lately, I have a few different Banh Mi recipes to try. They are usually served with paté or cold meats, but this is a really tasty alternative.

Banh Mi (Vietnamese Chicken Rolls)

Jill Dupleix

1 Lebanese cucumber
1 cup (250ml) rice vinegar
1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
1 carrot
2 tbs light soy sauce
1 tbs peanut oil
1 tbs honey
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
500g chicken thigh fillets, trimmed
1 baguette, cut into 4, or 4 soft long rolls
1 tbs reduced-fat whole-egg mayonnaise
4 soft butter lettuce leaves, torn
1 tbs pickled jalapeno peppers (optional)
1 tbs Sriracha hot sauce
Few sprigs of fresh coriander

1. Use a peeler to shave the cucumber into ribbons, then toss in a bowl with 1 tsp salt and stand for 1 hour.
  2. Heat the rice vinegar and sugar in a small pan over medium heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved, then cool.
  3. Shave carrot lengthways into ribbons with a vegetable peeler, then cut into fine matchsticks. Add carrot, cucumber and their juices to the vinegar mixture and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
  4. Mix the soy sauce, peanut oil, honey and garlic together, then coat the chicken in the soy marinade and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
  5. Heat a lightly oiled chargrill pan or barbecue to medium heat and cook the chicken for 5 minutes each side or until caramel brown and cooked through. Thickly slice.
  6. Split rolls, then lightly grill the cut side for 20 seconds to warm them.
  7. Drain the pickled carrot and cucumber.
  8. To serve, lightly spread rolls with mayonnaise, then fill with lettuce, chicken, cucumber, jalapenos (if using), carrot, chilli sauce and coriander.

Serves 4

Comments

28 comments on “Banh Mi (Vietnamese Chicken Rolls)
  1. Jenny Schimak - January 8, 2012 at 3:07 pm

This looks delicious.

2. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - January 8, 2012 at 7:20 pm

YUM! Love easy recipes and Vietnamese rolls are one of my brother-in-laws favourite gotta give him this recipe and get him to try :)

3. Hannah - January 8, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Looks wonderful! And Sriracha… I’ve never seen that here! Envy….

4. Chopinand @ ChopinandMysaucepan - January 8, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Dear Shellie,

I’m not a big fan of Vietnamese rolls because the bread rolls are normally rock hard and I’ve always managed to bruise my palate and lips every time I eat one. I might give this recipe a go with some soft brioche bread coz I’ve been experimenting with home-made rolls and burgers lately.

• Iron Chef Shellie - January 10, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I can totally understand! The beauty of making it at home, is you can tailor it exactly how you want it :)

5. Michelle chin - January 8, 2012 at 11:13 pm

One day, I shall get my hands on banh mi!!!

6. Tv Food and Drink - January 9, 2012 at 5:41 am

Right on! Great recipe. Great pics.

7. Tina @ bitemeshowme - January 9, 2012 at 6:47 am

i could eat one of these at any time of the day. so thankful that there is a 24 hour bakery that sells banh mi so that i can get my fix during those crazy midnight late night cravings. Great work Shellie :)

8. Denny @ Feedmycamera - January 9, 2012 at 11:19 am

Hi there! long time reader, first time poster! Wow that looks good! Similar to Tina, we have a 24/7 bakery when we need it! hahahah!

9. Ashley - January 9, 2012 at 4:45 pm

All I need to do is find a gluten free roll that can replicate the goodness of a baguette…it’s just not quite the same otherwise! Gorgeous pics :)

10. thelittleloaf - January 9, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Your blog is providing me with so many amazing recipes at the moment! Loving these rolls – they look beautifully fresh but hearty and filling at the same time. Yum.

11. Gourmet getaways - January 10, 2012 at 8:35 am

YUM!!!

With all the hot weather we have been eating so many salads lately, this looks so tasty! I can’t wait to try this roll!

12. Hotly Spiced - January 10, 2012 at 2:57 pm

What a delicious looking roll. I love all of those ingredients. If only there was someone selling those near the office!

13. EatPlayShop - January 10, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I love Bahn Mi but I’ve never tried making them at home. Thanks for sharing the recipe – it looks achievable and yummy!!!

14. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - January 10, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Shellie, I love these rolls! They are so tasty and with the salad are a great meal suggestion as you say :)

15. msihua - January 10, 2012 at 9:56 pm

You always take such yummy looking food! I want this now but the pork versionn (of course!)

16. Gourmet Chick - January 11, 2012 at 7:56 am

I am a total Banh Mi addict so love this recipe – although usually I like them with a bit of pork in as well. Does anyone know good places to buy Banh mi in Melbourne?

17. Janine - January 11, 2012 at 11:30 am

Banh Mi is not very popular in Singapore (not sure why though) but I absolutely love making it myself! This looks like another recipe to add to the repertoire :)

18. Denise - January 12, 2012 at 6:17 am

I love your alternative for pate, this version looks delicious!

19. Sara (Belly Rumbles) - January 12, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I love this version compared to my normal pork one. Will be giving it a go.

20. Julie - January 13, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Yum that looks so delicious! I normally order the pork ones but love to give this recipe a go

21. Jesica @ Pencil Kitchen - January 14, 2012 at 9:33 am

The last time i went to Vietname, I brought back 10 rolls of these to freeze and re-heat for a whole month….

22. Vien @ We Dare Food - January 15, 2012 at 2:44 pm

That looks so delicious! In KL, a new place opened opposite my house and they’re selling Banh Mi like these! And Omg. Yours looks waayyyyy better! 😀

All content on this site by Shellie Froidevaux, otherwise known as Iron Chef Shellie. Her skills include food styling in her kitchen studio, lifestyle and travel photography across Australia, restaurant photography on location, building social media for her clients, recipe development with love, menu consulting for cafes and graphic design for people with discerning tastes :)