Homemade Bagels

“How are we all feeling after Christmas? I trust you all had an amazing few days, surrounded by loved ones, too much food and scored some good presents. I had three feasts, but only ate at two. The main feast was at Mum and Dad’s house, where 18 of us enjoyed a buffet style dinner,...”

I had three feasts, but only ate at two. The main feast was at Mum and Dad’s house, where 18 of us enjoyed a buffet style dinner, including ham, pork belly and Dad’s first smoked turkey. The turkey had a great flavour and wasn’t dry at all. Well done Dad! I was getting worried we would get a dry turkey when he flaked out on the couch during the day. I brought along a few dishes, including my soba noodle salad (sans chicken), Mexican corn, watermelon salad, gingerbread house, pandan chiffon cake and a pavlova.

To see everything that went out, check out my flickr page.

So as we know, the best thing about when Christmas is over is the leftovers! …. and the sales if you are keen like me. I didn’t get up super early or tackle Chadstone or the CBD… I’m not that keen.

So with a large container of smoked salmon coming to my possession, I thought it was the perfect time to try a recipe Emma shared on her facebook page. I’ve been getting bagels recently from Glicks, and will pay around $8.50 for them to slap on some cream cheese, smoked salmon and gerkhins… well let me tell you, now that I can make awesome bagels at home, Glicks won’t be my first port of call when I want some bagel action.

So I thought my first batch turned out well, but after editing the photos I made another batch for work lunches this week and they turned out even better! I must have used slightly warm water, as the dough was more puffy and they really swelled up when I boiled them. My shaping second time around was much better too.

Filling options are endless… I even tried a prawn cocktail filling which was ah-mazing!

—————————

Homemade Bagels

Thermomix Recipe Community

• 360 ml water
  • 20 g sugar
  • 10 g salt
  • 10 ml vegetable oil
  • 10 g dry yeast
  • 600 g plain flour
  1. Mix water, sugar, salt, oil and yeast for 5 seconds on speed 7 to combine.
  2. Add the flour.  Mix for 6 seconds on speed 7 to combine.
  3. Set dial to closed lid position. Knead the dough for 2 minutes on interval speed.
  4. Cut the dough into 8 equal sized balls; let rest for 10 – 20 minutes.
  5. Preheat your oven to 220 o C.
  6. Roll each piece into a rope 10-15 cms long.  Form into a circle, overlapping ends by 1-2 cms, and pinch firmly to seal.  Roll these two ends together.  (Put your hand through the “ring”, the sealed ends should be under your palm, and then roll the end until it is completely fused)
  7. Let bagel rings rest 20 mins.
  8. Bring pot of water to boil 2-3 inches deep and cover baking tray with oven proof baking paper.
  9. Bagels will start to look puffy; it’s now time to boil.  Boil each bagel for about a minute, turn over and boil another minute.
  10. Take them out and let dry for a minute and then place them on your baking tray.
  11. Sprinkle with sesame seeds or poppy seeds.
  12. Bake at 220 °C, after 10 minutes; flip the bagels over and bake for another 10 minutes.

Comments

20 comments on “Homemade Bagels
  1. Winston - December 27, 2011 at 8:00 pm

YUM! I love bagels, just had some this morn at brunch… Nomness, didn’t know the Thermomix could make that. Too cool! And that babushka cake tin is hysterical. LOLTTM

2. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - December 28, 2011 at 2:33 am

Damn this is a themomix recipe :( lol seriously want one! I didn’t know you had to boil bagels ~ Happy Holidays Shellie!

3. Tina @ bitemeshowme - December 28, 2011 at 7:48 am

Those bagels look so good! And those babushka cakes are so adorable! Hope you had a lovely Christmas :)

4. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - December 28, 2011 at 8:15 am

Ah! Bagels! Your own. Homemade! Brilliant. They look great, how exciting to play around and make these. Your christmas sounded lovely, such an eclectic mix of dishes. & that babushka cake tin is far too cute to handle.

5. msihua - December 28, 2011 at 10:47 am

Oh man Maz! You blog on super speed! You just made these!!!

6. Fiona von Strudel - December 28, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I also love Glicks but can’t justify spending so much for the fixings! It’s often cheaper for me to buy half a dozen bagels and a whole tub of cream cheese to eat at home then to have them scape it on in the shop.

Sadly I don’t have a Thermomix (maybe when I’m 40??) but I’ve been thinking of playing around with yeast – bagels might just be what I try it with!

7. Gourmet Chick - December 28, 2011 at 2:32 pm

These bagels look brilliant just as good as Glicks! PS love the Babushka cake tin.

8. Hannah - December 28, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I’ve never had any interest in the craziness of Boxing Day sales, but now that I’ve seen that Babushka cake tin, I’m starting to rethink my aversions….

Also, yum! Oh how I want a fresh bagel with a side of gherkins right now :)

9. EatPlayShop - December 29, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Ooh, great thermomix recipe! And I love those Country Road boards!!!!

10. Mez - December 29, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee gorgeous!!!

I saw these on instagram and wanted to eat my phone hahaahahaahaa they look delicious.

xox

11. Nic@diningwithastud - December 30, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Bagels are a huge fan of mine so I was watching your every bagel move on Twitter lol. They look amazing!! Happy New Year lovely :D x

12. Yummy Inspirations - December 30, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Bagels look Yummy! I use “potato water” (as in, water drained from boiled potatoes) instead of water in my bagels and it gives them such an extra depth of flavour! Happy New Year!

13. Katherine Martinelli - December 31, 2011 at 3:21 am

I’ve had bagels on my “to make” list for some time and you’ve really inspired me! Yours look absolutely perfect. Bookmarking this recipe, thanks!

14. Tv Food and Drink - December 31, 2011 at 8:10 am

Talk about impressing your guests – homemade bagels??!! Wow, I will dig into this recipe come 2012. Happy new year! -GG

15. Hotly Spiced - December 31, 2011 at 9:25 am

Your Christmas Day menu sounds lovely. I have never smoked a turkey before. Glad to hear it turned out really well even with the chef passed out on the couch. Happy New Year.

16. Christina @ The Hungry Australian - January 2, 2012 at 7:44 pm

These look AMAZING! I’m so impressed that you made these bagels at home. Love the styling, too.

I adore bagels with smoked salmon, cream cheese, thinly sliced red onion, capers, fresh dill and a light mayonaise-based dressing.

17. Anna @The Littlest Anchovy - January 3, 2012 at 8:43 am

I have always been too afraid to try bagels. You have inspired me! These look lovely

18. Chopinand @ ChopinandMysaucepan - January 3, 2012 at 9:17 am

Dear Shellie,

Such a great idea with freshly baked bagels. We bought some fresh buns to go with our leftover smoked salmon and ham, glad there were no wastage from the Christmas and NY indulgence. Hope you have a great 2012!

19. Darlene - January 15, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Bagels is made for homemade for Christmas season. In every occasion that remains dishes is made bought for the guest. Much often to those who have your love one.

Michele Froidevaux

All content on this site by Michele Froidevaux, otherwise known as Iron Chef Shellie. Her skills include food styling in her kitchen studio, lifestyle and travel photography across Australia, restaurant photography on location, building social media for her clients, recipe development with love, menu consulting for cafes and graphic design for people with discerning tastes :)