Beef Burgers with Salsa

“So readers, who else is on a health kick? I know quite a few of us food bloggers are trying to lose our blogger weight… me personally, my goal is to lose around 3okg. I know it sounds like a lot, and I haven’t gained all 30kgs in the space of blogging. So the goal...”

November 17, 2011

So readers, who else is on a health kick? I know quite a few of us food bloggers are trying to lose our blogger weight… me personally, my goal is to lose around 3okg. I know it sounds like a lot, and I haven’t gained all 30kgs in the space of blogging. So the goal is to get back to my high school weight, which I though back then was “fat”. So there, I’ve put it out there publicly, so no backing down!!

So whilst you might see me blog cakes and other things that we put in to “bad for you” category, I will be sampling and donating the rest to my skinner friends and loved ones. I’ve been exercising with the help of a personal trainer, and keeping it up when I don’t see her. I’ve completely changed the way I’ve been eating and whilst I’ve only done 2.5 weeks of it, I’m feeling amazing. I have more energy and feel better over all. Can’t wait for the weight to start going down.

I whipped out the CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet recipe book for some dinner inspiration and these burgers caught my eye. I was going to have mine without the bread roll or even just half, but seeing as it was wholemeal I decided to just have it. I traded the tinned tomatoes for fresh grape tomatoes as I had heaps from Costco. They are filling, but delicious. Sure I love a bit of bacon and cheese on a hamburger, but they can be treat burgers when I’ve really earned them.

So tell me readers, what food do you enjoy that doesn’t weigh you down?

Beef Burgers with Salsa

CSIRO

700g lean minced beef
1 tablespoon finely chopped thyme
1 onion, grated
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoons olive oil
4 wholemeal bread rolls, to serve (optional)

Salsa:
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes, drained
1 red capsicum, seeded and finely chopped
1 small red (Spanish) onion, finely diced
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, to taste
2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
1 tablespoon lemon juice, to taste

1. Combine the beef, thyme, onion, garlic, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and egg in a large bowl. Form into four patties, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  2. To make salsa, mix together all the ingredients.
  3. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the burgers and cook f0r 5 minutes each side, flattening regularly.
  4. Serve the burgers in the bread rolls (if using) with a dollop of the salsa and a green salad.

Comments

17 comments on “Beef Burgers with Salsa
  1. penny aka jeroxie - November 17, 2011 at 8:44 pm

good on you for working towards a healthier weight. we are doing the same but it is more for health reason. just need to exercise and be fit. :)

2. leaf (the indolent cook) - November 17, 2011 at 9:03 pm

All the best! The healthy burger looks great. I don’t do diets, but when I feel like something light and delicious I go for Asian-style salads.

3. leah - November 18, 2011 at 6:32 am

The burger looks so good!!!

Good on you for being motivated to exercise and eat healthier! 😀

I personally don’t like diets or any exercise the feels like exercise, (like going to the gym.) But I am all for healthy eating, well most of the time 😉 And I do love to walk.

4. Michelle chin - November 18, 2011 at 7:28 am

I’m losing weight to brace for hong kong and kl! i know i’m going to gain weight when i’m in kl so i’ll lose it now. hehe

5. Danielle - November 18, 2011 at 7:33 am

Ooh I have the CSIRO total wellbeing diet book 2. The bircher muesli was really good, and I should try more recipes. I also am trying to lose weight slowly gained since high school. I’m loving youtube exercise videos atm (zumba and aerobics). These burgers look awesome!

6. Nic@diningwithastud - November 18, 2011 at 9:26 am

30kgs??? There’ll be nothing left of you :/ these burgers look so delish! Glad that you are feeling a lot better

7. Vien @ We Dare Food - November 18, 2011 at 9:27 am

That looks seriously good! Love a little Tabasco in my salsas!
    For me, it’s all about exercising! I love love love going to the the gym/the pool! But when I’m on a ‘lazy mode’ like now…. a piece of grilled white fish on quinoa/chickpea salad always makes me feel healthy! 😀

8. Mez - November 18, 2011 at 9:46 am

I just had an omelet

I’m trying not to eat carbs at all at the moment, or every 2nd/3rd day… I know you shouldn’t restrict carbs like that but it’s making me feel better!!!

Where did you find your PT?

xox

9. Lisa @ Blithe Moments - November 18, 2011 at 9:58 am

I find my exercise has to be social, so I dance, dance, dance.

On the food front, I find a big part is portion control. For years I simply ate too much, so even though it was healthy I was getting too many calories. Now I better control the amount I eat and that makes a huge difference.

10. Agnes - November 18, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Yay, supporting you all the way, lovely. :) You can definitely do it!

11. msihua - November 19, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Yayy! You have my warm and fuzzy support! PUSH IT!!!!!

12. Sara (Belly Rumbles) - November 19, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Oh I feel your pain regarding weight gain due to blogging. Good on you for taking positive action ad stick to it. With great meals like this should be easy!

13. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - November 20, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Oh congrats, Michele, that’s such an amazing thing you’re doing. I’m thrilled you’re feeling better for it. My tips (in case you want them!): 1) keep you calorie count down (be sure not to overdo calories, even if you’re eating healthy food. Weight loss really is just calories in vs calories out). 2) load up your lunches & dinners with non-starchy veg (so filling and super low in calories – everyone should be doing this). 3) find an exercise you enjoy (again, everyone needs to do this!) 4). don’t be too hard on yourself and avoid any “all or nothing” thinking. You can totally have chocolate etc every day (if you want and count it into your daily calorie intake) – it’s just all about PORTIONS! ok sorry if I bombarded you with things you already know. I’m just excited for you as I can tell how excited and motivated you are. Of course you’re gorgeous anyway :) xo

14. Thanh - November 27, 2011 at 12:56 am

You can do it Michele. Remember, we need to run those laps around Albert Park together.

I love Som Tum salads so much. They’re healthy and delicious. Check out Kat’s blog for the recipe. Everyone should make those salads.

All content on this site by Shellie Froidevaux, otherwise known as Iron Chef Shellie. Her skills include food styling in her kitchen studio, lifestyle and travel photography across Australia, restaurant photography on location, building social media for her clients, recipe development with love, menu consulting for cafes and graphic design for people with discerning tastes :)