{Eating Out} WLG Pop Up Restaurant – Fitzroy

“The WLG pop up restaurant opened it’s doors today, to let Melbournians have a taste of Wellington’s finest. You can’t wait around to go to this one, it closes up shop and moves back to Wellington after the 27th November. Here is was Hamsley and I nommed on tonight: Taste of Wellington Shared Tasting Plate...”

Dining | November 15, 2011
{Eating Out} WLG Pop Up Restaurant – Fitzroy

{Eating Out} WLG Pop Up Restaurant – Fitzroy

Here is was Hamsley and I nommed on tonight:

Taste of Wellington Shared Tasting Plate

Manuka salt cured lamb shortloin with betroot, walnut and while balsamic salsa

Grilled Marlborough scallops, celeriac puree and pancetta crumbs

Fried goat’s cheese balls with Manuka honey and Kiwi chutney

Maple syrup smoked Regal King Salmon with horseradish creme fraiche and tiny capers

Pig’s cheek ‘schnitzel’ with roast lemon chutney

Braised Lamb Shoulder Timbale

With dukkah-crusted lamb rack and wilted mixed greens with thyme and garlic braising liquor

Horopito-Seasoned Beef

With slow-roasted tomato, potato fondant and green beans

Whittaker’s Dark Chocolate Pavé

With fresh raspberries, Manuka honey cream and damson plum coulis

Licoricello panna cotta

With vodka lime parfait and pistachio wafer

I will honestly say the food was fantastic. My favourite was the entrees, although mains and desserts were still delicious. I’d recommend the chocolate pavé over the panna cotta, but you must remember; I love chocolate! Our waiter was brilliant, he knew which wines to recommend and had the best moustache in town.

—————————————————————————————

Tickets now on sale – WLG Pop Up Restaurant

—————————————————————————————

This year’s menu will include tapas-style shared plates created especially for WLG by some of the Wellington regions most sought-after chefs for only $35, including Rex Morgan, head chef at Boulcott Street Bistro and one of the select few chefs to have won all of New Zealand’s culinary awards, ShaunClouston, head chef at Cuisine Magazine’s Restaurant of the Year 2009 –Logan Brown, Tom Hutchinson, head chef and owner of Capitol, one of the Wellington’s most successful restaurants and Terry Lowe, head chef at Black Barn Restaurant and Vineyard Hawke’s Bay voted by Cuisine Magazine as New Zealand’s best winery restaurant in 2011.

Tickets are now on sale and can be purchased via au.timeout.com/Melbourne, although there will be limited walk ins accepted.

Iron Chef Shellie dined at WLG as a guest of Positively Wellington Tourism.

{Eating Out} WLG Pop Up Restaurant – Fitzroy

Comments

16 comments on “{Eating Out} WLG Pop Up Restaurant – Fitzroy
  1. leaf (the indolent cook) - November 15, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Ooh, I received the e-mails about this event. The food does look excellent, and your waiter’s moustache is awesome!

2. Phuoc'n Delicious - November 16, 2011 at 12:00 am

Sydney had this pop up dinner sometime last year (I think) but I missed out. It looks like the same high standard has been maintained at this Melbourne event. I really want to go to New Zealand to try their local produce.

Btw, that waiter’s mo is awesome! I wish my bf could grow something like that for this movember

3. Michelle chin - November 16, 2011 at 6:06 am

may i know what is that cup like thing next to the lamb?

4. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - November 16, 2011 at 8:44 am

Stop it, Michelle. Can’t handle this deliciousness at 9:44 in the morning! :) Beautiful pics

5. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - November 16, 2011 at 8:45 am

doh! One ‘l’, one ‘l’, I knew it!! xo

6. Sara (Belly Rumbles) - November 16, 2011 at 10:40 am

I was lucky to attend the pop up in Sydney last year. Melbourne pop up looks lovely.

7. Lisa @ Blithe Moments - November 16, 2011 at 12:13 pm

This makes me so jealous, we just don’t get great things like that in Canberra. I don’t know why, we are a massively foodie city which spends on average more on travel than anywhere else in the country. Maybe next year will be our turn.

8. msihua - November 16, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Yayy! What a great review! I can’t wait for Saturday to come!! Happy dance that we got tickets!!

9. Winston - November 17, 2011 at 3:37 pm

This looks AWESOME! My parents are in town for Christmas and my graduation and I hope to bring them here!! I’m sure they’ll LOVE it. Everything looks really fantastic OMGGG

10. Thanh - November 27, 2011 at 12:54 am

Loved the food at WLG. Such a great promotional idea I think.

11. yasmeen @ wandering spice - November 27, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Yum yum!! We’re headed there for dinner tonight – got the email but couldn’t book anything til back from vaca. Your post has my mouth watering. Looks awesome, and nice photos.