Cheat’s Phở

“This wasn’t meant to go on the blog. The only photo I have is on my phone and it was instagramed. But after numerous requests for the recipe, here it is! I love phở but my favourite place to have it is a bit far away to go there on a whim. I tried an...”

Recipes | July 31, 2011
Cheat’s Phở

Cheat’s Phở

I love phở but my favourite place to have it is a bit far away to go there on a whim. I tried an easy phở recipe back in 2009 but don’t know what I haven’t done it again.

Lately I’ve been sorting through about hmmmm…. 8 years of cooking magazines, and ripping out things I need to cook, instead of the recipes staying hidden away in a massive pile of magazines. This was actually on a Campbell’s advert for their real consummé range. The picture looked damn good, despite the fact that they had used the wrong type of noodle. I had pretty much everything in my pantry, I just needed a few things to be on my way to phở-happiness.

The broth itself was pretty good, I’ve put the recipe below but I think it’s only a great starter; you need to tweak it to suit your taste buds. I found a bit more sugar and the addition of some lemon juice helped it come to life, and become more flavoursome.

Cheat’s Vietnamese Beef Phở

(use as a base, then taste and adjust to suit your palette)

3 x 500ml cartoons beef consummé (I used Campbell’s)
2 thick, peeled slices of ginger
1 onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, sliced
3 whole star anise, bashed
2 cinnamon sticks, bashed
2 tablespoons white sugar
80ml fish sauce
250g thick rice noodles
250g beef fillet, very thinly sliced
Sliced and seeded red chillies, bean sprouts, Thai basil, mint, coriander and sliced spring onion to garnish

1. Combine consummé with 500ml water and place in a saucepan with the ginger, onion, garlic, spices, sugar and fish sauce. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, gently for 30 minutes. Strain, discarding solids.

2. Rehydrate the noodles according to packet directions. Drain and place into 4 soup bowls, top with the beef slices and pour over hot soup. Serve immediately with garnishes.

Cheat’s Phở

Comments

12 comments on “Cheat’s Phở
  1. Bianca - July 31, 2011 at 2:10 pm

This looks delicious! And easy to make with mainly pantry ingredients, I love that! 😀 Mmmmm.. Too bad I’m already making a curry laksa tonight! 😉

• Iron Chef Shellie - July 31, 2011 at 2:11 pm

ooooo I want curry laksa!!

• Bianca - July 31, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I ALWAYS want curry laksa, haha! If I had to pick something to live off for the rest of my life, it would be laksa for sure! It has to be overloaded with tofu and chilli oil… Mmmmmmmmm 😀

2. msihua - July 31, 2011 at 3:14 pm

How is this a cheat’s? There’s still so much to do! Well apart from the beef stock I guess.. hahaha.. that’s still way too much effort if I feel like cheating, but you rock!

3. Michelle - July 31, 2011 at 4:34 pm

This doesn’t look difficult. :) Might try this!

4. penny aka jeroxie - July 31, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Not cheating when you still need to cook and prep and stuff….

5. Lisa - August 1, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Oh I adore Pho! I think I will have to give this recipe a go.

6. Mez - August 1, 2011 at 2:36 pm

This looks great… BUT I’m not a beef pho person.. I know, I know it’s the right way to have it. Huhuhuhuhuhuuuu Hamish loves beef pho.. raw beef pho.. it’s his favourite.

7. Sweets By Vicky - August 1, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Cheat’s or not, a bowl of piping hot noodles is almost like receiving a herd of hugs from all around. :) Now that you’ve got it in a simplified version, I ain’t complaining.

8. BusiChic - August 4, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Looks beautiful and I can’t wait to try make this although a number of ingredients that I don’t just have at the back of the pantry. But then Vietnamese food is all about the freshness! Great photos

9. Brewers Wife - August 11, 2011 at 10:02 am

Made it. Inspired me to have a go, given I have a freezer full of asian stocks…. I didn’t even cheat! It rocked. Thanks for the idea Shellie