Apple, Dried Cherry & Almond Loaf

“Yesterday a few of us had a deep fry vs air fry lunch. Cherrie even deep fried crumbed cheese (cheddar and Camembert) and may I tell you, whilst it was all delicious, there is such a thing as too much fried food. After sipping gallons of green tea and being as active as possible after...”

Apple, Dried Cherry & Almond Loaf

Apple, Dried Cherry & Almond Loaf

Yesterday a few of us had a deep fry vs air fry lunch. Cherrie even deep fried crumbed cheese (cheddar and Camembert) and may I tell you, whilst it was all delicious, there is such a thing as too much fried food. After sipping gallons of green tea and being as active as possible after lunch, I decided I would bake something on the healthier side for Sunday breakfast.

My aunty had brought me back some dried cherries from America a while ago, and I have been wanting to try this recipes for ages. It was so easy to make, a recipe that uses 1-2 bowls, which I never think is a problem when you are the one doing the washing up.

You could easily substitute the dried cherries for dried craisins or pomegranate. The loaf was delicious on it’s on as well as drizzled with honey. Lately it’s so cold in my house our honey sets, so I have to sit it in a hot water bath to warm it up!

Apple, Dried Cherry and Almond Loaf

Bill Granger

50 g rolled oats
300 ml Milk
240 g Self Raising Flour you can use wholemeal
1 teaspoon Baking powder
125 g Dried Cherries
50 g diced dried apple
75 g soft brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
3 tablespoons Honey
1 lightly beaten Egg
3 tablespoons roughly chopped Almonds plus 2 tablespoons extra

1. Put the oats in a bowl, pour the milk over them and leave to soak for 30 minutes.

2. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).

3. Lightly grease and line a 1 kg (2 lb 4 oz) loaf tin with baking paper.

4. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl and stir in the rolled oats, dried fruit, sugar, cinnamon, honey, egg and almonds. Mix together well.

5. Spoon the mixture into the tin, level the top and sprinkle with the extra almonds. Bake the loaf for 45 minutes, or until it is golden brown on top and cooked through.

6. Leave it to cool a little in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

7. Toast and serve with ricotta and honey.

Makes 12 slices.

Apple, Dried Cherry & Almond Loaf

Comments

12 comments on “Apple, Dried Cherry & Almond Loaf
  1. Michelle - July 17, 2011 at 4:10 pm

You’ll be surprised how much cheaper dried fruits are in the states… because dried cranberries are so cheap in us, i’ve been eating it everyday. now that i’ve arrived melbourne, i’ve gotta exercise some self restraint!

2. Mez - July 17, 2011 at 4:57 pm

It makes me so blue, SO blue… that I’ve just gone for a walk and come home to a snack of pure protein… huhuhuhuuuuuuuuuuu

Wish I could just have a thick slice of this huhuhuhuhuuuuuuuuuuuuu

3. Hannah - July 17, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Oh, this is 100% absolutely the type of baked good I love making! Particularly as you didn’t put in any squidgy raisins 😛 WIN!

P.S. Did the cheese work in the air-fryer? I’ve been wondering about that myself!

4. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - July 18, 2011 at 7:30 am

Perfect for a post frying party breakfast :) It look so delicious – especially with the ricotta & honey serving suggestions!

5. Adriana - July 18, 2011 at 10:20 am

The perfect choice after a heavy greasy morning of eating! I love the idea of cherries, would be nice with dried apricots too.
    Ill have to try. How did your fried camenbert work in the end??

6. Iron Chef Shellie - July 18, 2011 at 11:02 am

Hannah & Adriana,
    Deep fried cheese…. friggin awesome! It was like eating an jaffle sandwich : http://www.flickr.com/photos/ironchefshellie/5942342574/in/photostream

7. msihua - July 18, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw all your pics on the deep fried food that night.. you guys are crazee! Whilst this loaf is less crazee 😛

8. ray - July 19, 2011 at 8:24 am

Your bread looks really good for snacking and with cup of coffee or tea. Thank you for sharing this nice recipe.

9. Keely aka The Richest Girl in Bondi - July 22, 2011 at 11:43 am

Would love to try the fried cheese – I’m crazy about jaffle sandwiches! This loaf looks great too (especially without the guilt) – plus the less dishes that get dirty in the process the better.

10. Kitty - July 25, 2011 at 6:12 pm

I make this loaf often and almost always use dried cranberries. It’s fantastic. I love the sourness of the craisins against the sweetness of the apple. So good!

11. Sadhana - July 31, 2011 at 4:04 am

First time here and this looks fantastic. Delicious and colorful.