Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake

“Theme 13: Dessert Cookbook Used: Kitchen – Recipes from the Heart of the Home Author: Nigella Lawson My plan was to make Adam Liaw’s ant’s nest cake for this theme, but a craving for chocolate + peanut butter won, and I made this cake to take to Grandma’s house for dessert. I fell in love...”

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake

Theme 13: Dessert
Cookbook Used: Kitchen – Recipes from the Heart of the Home
Author: Nigella Lawson

My plan was to make Adam Liaw’s ant’s nest cake for this theme, but a craving for chocolate + peanut butter won, and I made this cake to take to Grandma’s house for dessert. I fell in love with this cake when Agnes made it for the Nigella Lawson, Cooking the Books.

This cake isn’t for anyone who is calorie conscious…. 250g of peanut butter, 500g cream chesese….. but it you are going to commit to having dessert, you might as well do it properly!

It was a success, my Grandma eagerly requested a second serving, even though she had a mouthful of cake still left on her plate. Bless.

It’s not overly sweet most likely thanks to the sour cream. I loved the addition of salted peanuts in the base. I would make it again, but not every week!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake

Nigella Lawson

for the base:
200g digestive biscuits
50g salted peanuts
100g dark chocolate chips
50g soft unsalted butter

for the filling:
500g cream cheese
3 eggs
3 egg yolks (freeze the whites to make meringues)
200g caster sugar
125ml sour cream
250g smooth peanut butter

for the topping:
250ml sour cream
100g milk chocolate chips
30g soft brown sugar
1 x 23cm springform tin

1. Preheat the oven to 170°c/gas mark 3
  2. Then process the biscuits, peanuts, dark chocolate chips and butter for the base in a food processor.
  3. Once it comes together in a clump, turn it out into a springform tin and press into the bottom and up the sides to make the crunchy crust.
  4. Put in the fridge while you make the filling.
  5. Process the filling in the cleaned or wiped-out processor bowl, putting in the cream cheese, eggs and egg yolks, sugar, sour cream and peanut butter and whizzing to a smooth mixture.
  6. Pour and scrape the filling into the base in the chilled springform tin and cook for 1 hour, though check after 50 minutes.the top – only – should feel set and dry.
  7. Take the cheesecake out of the oven while you make the topping.
  8. Warm the sour cream and chocolate with the brown sugar gently in a small saucepan over a low heat, whisking to blend in the chocolate as it melts, and then take off the heat.
  9. Spoon and spread the topping very gently over the top of the cheesecake, being as careful as you can in case you break the surface of the cheesecake. (not that anything bad will happen; you’ll just have chocolate marbling the cake a bit.)
  10. Put it back in the oven for a final 10 minutes.
  11. Once out of the oven, let the cheesecake cool in its tin and then cover and put into the fridge overnight.
  12. When you are ready to eat the cheesecake, take it out of the fridge, just to take the chill off: this will make it easier to spring from the tin. don’t let it get too warm, though, as it will become a bit gooey and be hard to slice.

Serves 10-12

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake

Comments

22 comments on “Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake
  1. penny aka jeroxie - July 10, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Nice! I need to get this book. So slack!

2. Lianne - July 10, 2011 at 5:47 pm

that looks soooo good! (:

3. Fatbooo - July 10, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Peanut butter and cream cheese… two loves rolled into one! *heart* 😀

4. Roxanne - July 10, 2011 at 6:29 pm

WOW!! Looks yummo!

5. April@MyFoodTrail - July 10, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Ahhh, it’s from Nigella! Good to know the recipe works, I’m going to have to make this soon as you have given me massive cheesecake + peanut butter + chocolate cravings!!!

6. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - July 10, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Michele this is ridiculous, such a tease. hehe. gah! Want some now. I love love love Nigella. She’s such a food tease.

7. leaf (the indolent cook) - July 10, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Typical of a Nigella recipe, such deliciously cheeky indulgence!

8. Hannah - July 10, 2011 at 11:08 pm

I die. I absolutely die. I crave cheesecake regularly but haven’t succumbed in over a year because it kills my lactard insides, but oh! Oh, how I would happily bear days of torment for a slice of this! Please send me some express post?

9. Michelle - July 11, 2011 at 3:14 am

i agree… if i were to blow my calories, i would do it right!

10. kristy @ ksayerphotography - July 11, 2011 at 7:22 am

Yum! This looks delicious, your slices are PERFECT.

11. GourmetGetaways - July 11, 2011 at 9:07 am

This looks so delicious!

I really need to catch up on the cookbook challenge :(

12. Ashley - July 11, 2011 at 11:04 am

Ah Nigella was never light handed was she? :)

“…but it you are going to commit to having dessert, you might as well do it properly!”

And I totally agree with this statement! 😀 Chocolate and peanut butter are two of my favourite things in this world and together in a cake?! YUM! :)

13. Erin@TheFoodMentalist - July 11, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I really love chocolate and peanut butter so this is my kinda cheesecake. Yum! great photos too x

14. Nic@diningwithastud - July 11, 2011 at 2:52 pm

YUMMMMM!! You had me at chocolate peanut butter! Lol @ your grandmother – I like her work!

15. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - July 11, 2011 at 2:56 pm

You just cannot beat that combo of chocolate and peanut butter can you! 😀

16. Anna Johnston - July 12, 2011 at 9:47 am

Holy hubcaps, I wasn’t even hungry, but now all I can think about is finding some peanut butter & Choc cheesecake. Sooooo good! It’s amazing. Looks beautiful! Great job…. Yummo!

17. ray - July 13, 2011 at 8:47 am

That cheesecake with a combo of goodies — chocolate and peanut butter looks sinfully delicious. This is my firt time in your site – it’s very nice! Thank you for sharing.

18. Ani @GloriousFood - July 13, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I don’t know what I love more – Nigella or this amazing chocolate peanut butter cheesecake!

Just thinking of the chocolate peanut butter combo reminds me of our last trip to the states – my husband and I were the only people on the entire plane back to Aus with nearly 4.3kg of chocolate peanut butter M&Ms in our hand luggage! It was certifiably insane!!

I’m interested though – the official recipe for this CPBC says to press the crust up the sides. But if you watch the actual episode (…and I’ve seen it a couple of time now) she just lines the base of the ‘tin’ (she uses a silicone type baking tin). What did you do…..did you go up the sides or just do the base? I’ve only ever done the base but I wonder if I would get a better result by actually going up the sides???

• Iron Chef Shellie - July 13, 2011 at 8:27 pm

mmmmm I love those peanut butter M&Ms!!

YES! the recipe says up the sides, and I looked at the picture in book and it definitely wasn’t up the sides, so good to know on the show she doesn’t do it either. I couldn’t be bothered doing it up the sides but I wonder how much of a difference it would make. Perhaps I’ll try the next time I make it. Although because I didn’t do it up the sides when the cheesecake cooled it came away from the sides and I didn’t have any problems taking the ring of the tin off the cake.

(hope that answers your questions!!) x

19. Layean - November 26, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Hi the salted peanut at the base, can we get from Coles ?