Lemon & Wild Blueberry Swirl Cake

“Theme 10: Blue Cookbook Used: Bonne Maman – The Seasonal Cookbook Author: Bonne Maman Okay, so my genius oven burnt the cake, my photos of said burnt cake sucked…. I should have dusted the cake with icing sugar to make it look less burnt. So you will have to deal with Instagram photos. Remember what...”

Theme 10: Blue
Cookbook Used: Bonne Maman – The Seasonal Cookbook
Author: Bonne Maman

Okay, so my genius oven burnt the cake, my photos of said burnt cake sucked…. I should have dusted the cake with icing sugar to make it look less burnt. So you will have to deal with Instagram photos. Remember what I said?…”if all fails… instragram it!!” I practice what I preach!

I got the Bonne Maman cookbook as part of my birthday present this year from Hamsley. Don’t worry, I didn’t get just one cookbook for my birthday… I got probably about eight. But that’s another story. I fell in love with Bonne Maman conserves when I trialled them last year. I wanted to use them more often, and not just for something to smear on my toast/ hot cross buns / etc…

The book is gorgeous, broken down into seasonal recipes as the title suggests. The book also gives you cute ideas of ways to re-use the iconic Bonne Maman jar once you’ve finished enjoying it’s contents.

My photos looks nothing like the one in the book, but luckily you can see what I was aiming for on the website. A delicious cake (even when slightly charred), and the blueberry conserve is divine. Will definitely make again, and it was so easy – put it all in a bowl. mix then bake!

————————–

Lemon and Wild Blueberry Swirl Cake

Bonne Maman

175g soft butter
175g sugar
3 medium eggs
200g self-raising flour
25g ground almonds
Grated rind of 1 unwaxed lemon
4 tbsp Bonne Maman Wild Blueberry Conserve

1. Line a 20cm round cake tin or loaf tin with baking parchment. Place all the ingredients except the conserve into a mixing bowl and blend with a hand mixer until smooth, or beat with a wooden spoon for two minutes.

2. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and level with the back of a spoon. Place the Wild Blueberry conserve into a paper piping bag and snip off the end. Pipe a swirl of the conserve on the top of the cake.

3. Conventional cooking: Bake on a centre shelf in a pre-heated oven at 180°C/350°F. Bake the cake for about 40-45 minutes until a skewer comes out clean from the centre.

4. Cool in tin for 5 minutes, then leave to cool completely on a wire rack.

Comments

13 comments on “Lemon & Wild Blueberry Swirl Cake
  1. Mez - May 11, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Oh my god that looks DELICIOUS, I’m envisioning it hot with a fat dollop of cream.

YUM

2. leaf (the indolent cook) - May 11, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I’d still eat that! And now you’ve got me thinking I should go get myself a jar of Bonne Maman…

3. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - May 11, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I see no burnage, all I see is deliciousness! This cake screams yum to me. Want. some. now. I’ll have to check out that cookbook :)

4. Erin@TheFoodMentalist - May 12, 2011 at 9:06 am

Don’t worry about it, it looks delightful :)
    I have a big jar of this in the cupboard but I haven’t opened it yet, will have to try it.

5. yasmeen @ wandering spice - May 12, 2011 at 10:05 am

what a lovely looking cake! lemons are my favorite, as is that Bonne Maman blueberry jam (i eat it almost every morning with yogurt).

a little burning never killed a cake. just call it toasted or glazed or candied or something fancy and it becomes a novelty :)

6. Susan - May 12, 2011 at 4:35 pm

When I first saw the post I was thinking where the hell am I going to get wild blueberries from! Luckily in a jar. Will def try this cake out.

7. Michelle - May 12, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I love bonne maman preserves!

8. penny aka jeroxie - May 13, 2011 at 7:19 am

yum yum! you have inspired me to search for a marble cake recipe…

9. Martyna (Wholesome Cook) - May 13, 2011 at 9:04 am

I love simple recipes of mix and bake for weeknights! I know the theme was blueberry but I’d love to try this with boysenberries… Crazy about them atm.

10. Sherilyn - May 13, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Still looks pretty good to me. First visit to your blog and like it! Nice work.

11. Nic@diningwithastud - May 13, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Doesn’t look burnt at all. Yay for Instagram :) totes just looks like the conserve

12. leigh - May 16, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I love this sort of cake and they are my all time favourite jams – thanks for sharing as I’ll be making this one very soon.

13. Johanna GGG - May 22, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Nothing a bit of butter or icing can’t fix – sounds lovely – I agree with you on bonne maman jam – worth using in every way possible – do you spread jam on bread for bread and butter pud – would be excellent in that too

Michele Froidevaux

All content on this site by Michele Froidevaux, otherwise known as Iron Chef Shellie. Her skills include food styling in her kitchen studio, lifestyle and travel photography across Australia, restaurant photography on location, building social media for her clients, recipe development with love, menu consulting for cafes and graphic design for people with discerning tastes :)