Lychee Sorbet

“Lychee is of those refreshing fruits that takes you to a place far far away. I only just discovered how awesome lychees are a few years ago, and can’t get enough of them; canned or fresh. My gorgeous friend Miss A bought me an ice-cream book for Christmas last year as she knew I was...”

My gorgeous friend Miss A bought me an ice-cream book for Christmas last year as she knew I was getting an ice-cream maker as well. This recipe immediately caught my eye, and I finally made it for dessert when I had a few friends around for an Indian feast.

For Hamsley and I, we found it to be too sweet, but my guests LOVED it and couldn’t praise me enough for how amazing it was. They finished their serving, whilst we could barely eat half of ours! Me with an epic sweet tooth was confused but still delighted. Perhaps I’ll leave out the sugar next time, since the lychee syrup is basically enough sugar to begin with!

Lychee Sorbet

Caroline Barty

2 x 565g cans lychees in syrup
125g caster sugar
juice of 1 lime (or two tablespoons on plastic squeezy lime in a bottle)

1. Drain the syrup into a saucepan and put the lychees in a food processor. Add the sugar and lime juice to the saucepan. Slowly bring to the boil, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Simmer for 5 minutes and them remove from the heat and leave to cool.

2. Process the lychees to a smooth puree, then add the cooled syrup and process again.

3. Strain the mixture through a sieve, then pour into an ice-cream maker and churn accordingly to the manufacturer’s instructions until set (thick). If not serving straight away, pour into a suitable freezing container and freeze until hard (almost at once if making in a machine, but 5-6 hours if making by hand).

4. Bring to room temperature, 5-10 minutes before serving.

]

Comments

14 comments on “Lychee Sorbet
  1. Mez - May 2, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I loooooooooooove lychee… it might be too sweet for me too, but I’m keen to give it a go anyway… going to make your MALTESER SQUARES this week too huzzah!!!

2. hollypop - May 2, 2011 at 8:05 pm

lychee is amazing!!!!!!!!!

3. Kayla @ Fitter Than Choc - May 3, 2011 at 12:56 am

Lychee is one of my favourite fruits, but I just don’t seem to have it often enough. This is certainly awesome in sorbets. Not, you got me wishing for an ice cream maker:)

4. Jennifer (Delicieux) - May 3, 2011 at 9:53 am

I enjoy lychee but don’t have it often enough. This looks fantastic though Shellie. I also love the little cups you’ve served it in. So cute!

5. Michelle - May 3, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Oh no! You shouldn’t have add the sugar! The syrup is cloyingly sweet even on its own!

6. Hannah - May 3, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I remember always being excited when the fruit salads my dad made when I was growing up had lychees in them. I’ve never ever had tinned ones though – I’m excited to hear they’re an adequate substitute!

7. Chanel - May 3, 2011 at 2:03 pm

The only sorbet I’ve made with my ice-cream maker is coconut so I’m keen to try this! I’m a new fan of lychees.

8. OohLookBel - May 3, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Lychee is my fave sorbet/ice cream flavour, so I’m drooling over this. It looks lovely in the striped cups.

9. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - May 3, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I am a recent lychee lover – so refreshing! Your icecream looks fab. I totally know what you mean though, so many icecream recipes are far too sweet! I need to start using my dad’s old one he gave us after his mega upgrade :)
    Heidi

10. Phuoc'n Delicious - May 3, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Mmmm how refreshing! Your sorbet looks so smooth! I know it’s freezing cold now but I really want a scoop of that sorbet!

11. Jenn Brigole - May 4, 2011 at 4:14 am

When my aunt brought home some lychee a few weeks ago, I had a sudden flashback of the days gone when I hated, hated lychee. But, after eying for a few minutes, I decided to pop one in my mouth. AND that was not what I tasted some years ago. This lychee is sweet and good and nice to my teeth, unlike the first time I ever tasted one. I wonder when I can find one of these lychee sorbet in the restaurant or something.

12. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - May 6, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Shellie this looks great! And I have those exact cups-aren’t they the cutest!? :)

13. Susan - May 13, 2011 at 8:32 am

Ooh I haven’t made a sorbet in my ice cream machine yet. A lychee one would be perfect too.

14. Jess - February 11, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Awesome recipe :) I love lychees and have recently been reading up on how to grow them. There is a good article here.

Thanks for sharing.
    Jess

Michele Froidevaux

All content on this site by Michele Froidevaux, otherwise known as Iron Chef Shellie. Her skills include food styling in her kitchen studio, lifestyle and travel photography across Australia, restaurant photography on location, building social media for her clients, recipe development with love, menu consulting for cafes and graphic design for people with discerning tastes :)