Week 21 – The Cookbook Challenge: Thai Red Duck Curry

“Week 21 Theme: Thai Cookbook Used: Margaret Fulton’s Kitchen Author: Margaret Fulton   After seeing Margaret Fulton on Masterchef Australia, I wondered why I didn’t own one of her cookbooks. As you can imagine, her books were scarce on the shelf at bookstores after her appearance on the hit show, so I waited till they...”

Week 21 – The Cookbook Challenge: Thai Red Duck Curry

Week 21 – The Cookbook Challenge: Thai Red Duck Curry

Week 21
Theme: Thai
Cookbook Used: Margaret Fulton’s Kitchen
Author: Margaret Fulton

After seeing Margaret Fulton on Masterchef Australia, I wondered why I didn’t own one of her cookbooks. As you can imagine, her books were scarce on the shelf at bookstores after her appearance on the hit show, so I waited till they restocked.
The lovely thing about this book is the short story she writes before each recipe. For this recipe she writes:
I can’t resist buying a barbecued duck whenever I go to Chinatown. The Chinese are experts at cooking it. Thai red duck curry, or Kaeng Phed Ped Yang, is traditionally served in Thailand at family celebrations such as weddings and the New Year. This is a tasty, simple recipe and a fabulous way of using ready-made Thai curry paste.

I had been looking forward to Thai week since week 1, as I knew I was going to make this. The picture looked so mouth watering; and the combination of lychees (yum), pineapple (yum), duck (oh yum yum), all in a Thai red curry sauce was bound to be good.
It was so easy to make too for a curry. Given that the meat is already cooked most likely had something to do with it. I served it with some steamed rice and there were no complaints. I was worried Hamsley might not be too keen on this one, but as I was cooking it he said it smelt like penang curry (one of his favorites) and was really looking forward to it. Turns out he loved it, so looks like I’ll be making it again!

The tomatoes don’t really work however. So if you are making this, I’d suggest leaving them out. Perhaps it’s the acidity of the tomato that just doesn’t go with the sweetness of the lychees and pineapple. I’m not too sure… just leave them out!

Thai Red Duck Curry
Margaret Fulton
Get your hands on:
1 Chinese barbecued duck
1 tablespoon red curry paste
1 1/3 cups coconut milk
1/2 cup water or chicken stock
1 x 560g can rambutan or lychees, drained
1 cup chopped fresh pineapple (I used canned and it was fine)
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
2 tablespoons fish sauce
4 fresh kaffir lime leaves, very thinly sliced
10 cherry tomatoes (I’d personally leave these out)
Thai basil leaves, to garnish
Serve it with:
Steamed rice
1. Use a sharp knife to cut the large portions of duck flesh off the carcass, leaving skin on; or get the people at the Chinese restaurant to do it for you. Cut into 2cm slices and set aside.
2. Heat a wok or large saucepan on high. Add curry paste and half of the coconut milk. Cook, stirring; for 2-3 minutes. Add the remaining coconut milk, water or stock, rambutan or lychees, pineapple, peas, fish sauce and lime leaves. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer gently for 3 minutes. Add duck slices and tomatoes and simmer for another 5 minutes. Garnish with Thai basil leaves and serve with steamed rice.

Week 21 – The Cookbook Challenge: Thai Red Duck Curry

Comments

16 comments on “Week 21 – The Cookbook Challenge: Thai Red Duck Curry
  1. Ange - April 10, 2010 at 4:17 pm

I love red duck curry, an all time fave, unfort I dont live near any chinese shops that sell any & I never seem to be driving by so never get the chance to make this dish, if only I worked in the city again!

2. penny aka jeroxie - April 10, 2010 at 10:55 pm

I like the use of lychee and pineapple in this dish. And how can I resist roast duck?

3. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - April 11, 2010 at 1:43 am

Interesting combination of ingredients. I went off pineapple in savoury dishes a while ago, but the lychees might be just the thing to lure me into enjoying the pineapple too (those sneaky sneaky lychees with their charms).

4. Mark @ Cafe Campana - April 11, 2010 at 8:44 am

I love duck and I love Thai curries. This dish is a great combination of the two. If you can easily get your hands on Chinese roast duck this is a quick and easy meal.

5. BuBbles - April 11, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Such a colourful dish and I love duck too!

6. A cupcake or two - April 11, 2010 at 9:21 pm

I love the fruit addition to this red curry. Margaret Fulton
    is amazing. Her cook books are great.

7. Jeanne - April 12, 2010 at 2:12 am

Looks absolutely YOM Shellie, I have never tried anything like this, it looks very taste tempting. You will have to pop a marker or make a note. As a must for Jeanne,at some stage it has me with the wants?
    Hugs,
    Jeanne.x :-)

8. vickys - April 12, 2010 at 10:59 am

That's a sper awesome looking duck curry. Definitely not one of those 'mystery stew' lookalikes! :)

9. imasugarjunkie - April 12, 2010 at 2:14 pm

this looks So yummy! I absolutely love duck, but its something I never cook with myself.

10. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - April 15, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Hmm you know I don't think I have any of her cookbooks too…. I always order red duck curry so thanks for sharing this. I always thought I had to do the duck myself too so this is a quick version! 😀

11. tangerine eats - April 15, 2010 at 8:00 pm

I always toss up between king prawns in green curry or duck in penang curry at Thai restaurants! I love that you bought a Chinese BBQ duck – why mess with perfection, right? 😉

12. Betty - April 16, 2010 at 10:53 am

yours looks great! pineapple in a curry is just so delicious :O)

13. April @ My Food Trail - April 17, 2010 at 7:13 am

Sounds like an exotic curry with the pineapple and lychees. I can imagine how well those flavours would go with duck.

14. chitchatchomp@yahoo.com.au - April 17, 2010 at 2:51 pm

What a gorgeous looking dish, and love the idea of adding the pineapple and lychees. Shame about the tomato though as the red looks gorgeous in the photos.

15. Ali-K - April 18, 2010 at 9:23 am

Great photos. My mouth is watering and its only breakfast!

16. Forager - May 4, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Mmmmm your photos are making me crave red duck curry for dinner! My favourite from Spice I Am in surry hills also uses lychees and packs a mighty spicy punch – might have to head there for lunch tomorrow to satisfy the craving..