Week 10: The Cookbook Challenge – Cassata

“Week 10 Theme: Cool Cookbook Used: Food We Love Author: The Australian Women’s Weekly No matter how many times I tell myself I’m never buying another Women’s Weekly cookbook… I buy at least two. I found this cookbook half price at a discount bookshop; had a quick flick, and knew there were many things I...”

Week 10: The Cookbook Challenge – Cassata

Week 10
Theme: Cool
Cookbook Used: Food We Love
Author: The Australian Women’s Weekly

No matter how many times I tell myself I’m never buying another Women’s Weekly cookbook… I buy at least two. I found this cookbook half price at a discount bookshop; had a quick flick, and knew there were many things I wanted to make that I hadn’t seen in any of their other cookbooks I owned.

What better for cool week than ice-cream?
I had a few other options flagged; like jellies and mousses, but who can resist a three layer ice-cream?… well I guess you can if you are highly lactose intolerant and go into anaphylactic shock if you eat ice-cream… then you might wanna resist this!

Even though it was three layers, it wasn’t too much work. I didn’t really wait for each layer to freeze firm before adding the next layer, cos let’s face it; I started making it after dinner, and I wanted to go to bed before I turned into a pumpkin.

My favorite layer was the top layer, with a lovely almond flavour. It is the taste you most remember about cassata. The added texture of the glacé fruits and flaked almonds makes this ice-cream a real winner. Mum even kept praising it whilst she was eating it; that’s when you know something is really good!

Cassata

Third Layer
1cup (250ml) cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg white, beaten lightly
1/3 cup (55g) icing sugar
2 tablespoons red glacé cherries,  chopped finely
2 glacé apricots, chopped finely (I couldn’t find these, so I just used extra glacé cherries.)
2 glacé pineapple rings, chopped finely
1 tablespoon green glacé cherries, chopped finely
30g flaked almonds, toasted

1. Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer until firm peaks form; gradually beat in sifted icing sugar. Fold in lightly beaten egg yolks.

2. Beat cream and almond essence in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form.; fold into egg mixture. Pour mixture into deep 20cm-round cake pan. Level top; freeze until firm.

3. Make second layer and spread over almond layer; freeze until firm.
Second Layer: beat egg whites in a small bowl with electric mixer until firm peaks form; gradually beat in sifted icing sugar. Beat cream in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form; fold into egg white mixture. Place chocolate in small bowl; stir in egg yolks. Stir blended cocoa and water into chocolate mixture; fold chocolate mixture through cream mixture.

4. Make third layer and spread over second layer; freeze until firm.
Third Layer: beat cream and extract in small bowl with electric mixer until firm peaks form. Beat egg white in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form; gradually add sifted icing sugar. Fold egg white mixture into cream; fold in fruit and nuts.

5. Run small spatula around edge of cassata; wipe hot cloth over base and side of pan. Turn cassata onto serving plate.

Cassata can be made a week ahead; keep, covered, in freezer.

Comments

16 comments on “Week 10: The Cookbook Challenge – Cassata
  1. penny aka jeroxie - January 21, 2010 at 9:04 pm

this will be great tomorrow when it hits high 30s again. **drool***

2. Jeanne - January 21, 2010 at 10:08 pm

I have just checked out your latest treat Shellie, looks amazingly tempting. as I also 'drool' over your great pics., I am sure all who shared a piece with you of this so special treat they would be looking for seconds. Well done Shellie, a great choice for a hot Summer's night.
    Hugs,xox :-)

3. Simon Food Favourites - January 21, 2010 at 11:18 pm

oh yummo. i wish i could have tried this. mmmm :-)

4. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - January 22, 2010 at 12:52 am

That chunky bottom layer looks so good. I have a big thing for glace cherries – I always have to buy more than I need because I can't help but eat some when cooking with them.

5. ravnish gandhi - January 22, 2010 at 6:01 am

mmmm cassata rocks..

6. Alana - January 22, 2010 at 9:09 am

Yummmmmmm

7. Iron Chef Shellie - January 22, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Hi Penny – Ah so true, looking forward to enjoying more tonight =)

Hi Jeanne – Oh yes, I was the favorite person of the house for a few minutes there 😉

Hi Simon – You'll have to make it for yourself then 😉 I'm looking forward to more tonight!

Hi Conor – I do too, but I snuck one in whilst chopping away and I musta bought the shit brand! They weren't that tasty, but nice in the cassata!

Hi Ravnish Gandhi – Sure does =)

Hi Alana – ohhhh yeah it was =)

8. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - January 22, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Oh my, that would be just perfect round about now! 😀

9. Hannah - January 23, 2010 at 1:04 pm

That looks so pretty! And the layers stayed so defined. Well done! Now, if only I weren't currently staying in a city where it's 3 degrees maximum…

10. Iron Chef Shellie - January 25, 2010 at 8:55 am

Hi Lorraine – Sure would =D

Hi Hannah – Thanks! Oh, that's pretty damn cold!

11. Agnes - January 26, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Ah, I'm much the same about the AWW books, but I also own this one and I've made several things from it already. I haven't tried this recipe though – it looks great!

12. Rilsta @ My Food Trail - January 27, 2010 at 7:07 pm

AWW books are fantastic, but often have repeating recipes between them. That's ok though because each book does have new recipes!

This cassata looks great – everything my layer cake last week should have been & wasn't!!

13. Cherrie Pie - January 27, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Wow Shellie, looks amazing! I bet there weren't any left overs.

14. Iron Chef Shellie - January 29, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Hi Agnes – Thanks! I own far too many AWW books!

Hi Rilsta – Yeah, we have had this discussion a few times 😉 If they have a new recipe I really want, I end up buying the book!

Hi Cherrie Pie – Thanks! Leftovers.. hmmm. I think there might be some we forgot about in the freezer!! eep!

15. Von - February 2, 2010 at 7:57 pm

I agree- its so tempting to buy Women's weekly cookbooks….they're always on sale and they've got awesome pictures! I don't think I've heard of Cassata before- but it looks really good!