Bircher Muesli

“I have always wanted to try this recipe for bircher muesli. I didn’t even know what bircher muesli was all about for quite some time. That was until I tried it on a recent trip to Brown Sugar Cafe…. it was ❤ at first bite. So, in an attempt to save money, I made a...”

Recipes | December 17, 2009
Bircher Muesli

Bircher Muesli

I have always wanted to try this recipe for bircher muesli.

So, in an attempt to save money, I made a delicious Sunday breakfast at home, with freshly made coffee from our coffee machine. It was so damn good, I made it again the weekend after!

Traditionally with bircher muesli recipes, you need to soak the oats overnight in juice. This recipe only requires you to soak the oats for 30 minutes… so if you are like me and forget to soak your oats the night before…. wake up -> soak your oats -> relieve your bladder -> crawl back into bed until you’re ready for breakfast!

Complete with natural yoghurt, crunchy flaked almonds, the delicious sweetness of honey, and the shear awesomeness that is grated apple… what more could you want for breakfast?!

Given that I love pretty much anything with apple in it, even down to shampoo; I really really loved this recipe. I could happily eat it everyday for breakfast. The most fiddly part of the whole dish is having to grate an apple. But if you can get over that, you’ll have yourself a tasty treat!

Bircher Muesli
Donna Hay

1 1/2 cups (150g / 5 1/4 oz) rolled oats
1 cup (250ml / 8 fl oz) apple juice, warmed
2 green apples, grated
1 cup (250g / 8 oz) thick natural yoghurt
1/2 cup silvered almonds
honey, to serve

1. Place the oats and apple juice in a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to stand for 30 minutes or until the oats are softened.

2. Stir in the grated apple.

3. To serve, divide the yoghurt between 4 serving glasses, top with the oat mixture, almonds and honey.

Voila! Bon Appétit!

Bircher Muesli

Comments

11 comments on “Bircher Muesli
  1. Sarah - December 17, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Mmm… I love bircher muesli – and it's so healthy!

I usually make Jamie Oliver's version (aka Pukkola) from his second book, it is also yummy!

xox Sarah

2. Alana - December 17, 2009 at 10:27 pm

So… are you making me breakfast on Saturday before our shopping trip? 😛 This looks so yummy! xx

3. mademoiselle délicieuse - December 17, 2009 at 10:32 pm

Strangely, I've never thought to have Bircher muesli even though it contains all the things I like. I never have it out because I never feel like a cold breakfast at a cafe so, really, I should try making this at home!

4. penny aka jeroxie - December 18, 2009 at 6:28 am

Looks too good to eat. I will have to try this. Not really had one before – SHAME! Maybe because I like bacon and eggs. But I should get onto the bandwagon.

5. imasugarjunkie - December 18, 2009 at 9:38 am

Looks good! Muesli is one of those things Im told I should eat more of but when you are out for brekky on a Sunday morning, the egg and bacon option with a hash brown always seems to win out!

6. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - December 18, 2009 at 9:55 am

I like bircher muesli but only ever have it out when part of a buffet breakfast, as this is when I can have muesli AND eggies.

I like your plan, but I have to climb two flights of stairs to get from my kitchen to my bedroom so perhaps I'll just rest on my couch while the oats soak :)

7. Esz - December 18, 2009 at 11:49 am

I only recently discovered the yumminess of bircher muesli. Used to buy it from a cafe on Bridge Rd where they used orange juice instead of apple (or maybe a combo of both). So healthy and filling.

8. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - December 18, 2009 at 12:31 pm

That's great-such a time saving! Sometimes you just don't think about things that far ahead so this is a great recipe :)

9. Ange - December 18, 2009 at 3:15 pm

I love any version of bircher muesli too & usually make it at least once every weekend, its a lovely refreshing habit to get into

10. Iron Chef Shellie - December 21, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Hi Sarah – Healthy and yummy = win! I shall have to try Jamie's version then!

Hi Alana – Well I did make it for you as requested, and the words "best muesli ever" still remain with me =D

Hi Mademoiselle Délicieuse – Do try it, you'll never look back!

Hi Penny – You MUST try it! sooo damn good!

Hi Imasugarjunkie – Anything with bacon usually wins for most people too 😉

Hi Conor – lol… the best of both worlds 😉 2 flights of stairs? eeep! Just soak 'em over night 😉

Hi Esz – ooooo OJ? Sounds delicious!!

Hi Lorraine – I love anything that can save me time =)

Hi Ange – I like that tradition, of once every weekend. I might have to try doing that!