Red Curry with Meatballs

“It’s another meatball curry! I ❤ meatballs. I ❤ curry. I found another recipe to combine the two, and this time it has a Thai twist. So simple to make, so tasty. I amazed myself with how delicious these were. It just proves, you don’t need to have pasta in a napoli sauce to enjoy...”

Recipes | November 4, 2009
Red Curry with Meatballs

Red Curry with Meatballs

It’s another meatball curry!

I ❤ meatballs.
I ❤ curry.
I found another recipe to combine the two, and this time it has a Thai twist.

So simple to make, so tasty. I amazed myself with how delicious these were.
It just proves, you don’t need to have pasta in a napoli sauce to enjoy a good, old fashioned ball of meat!

Red Curry with Meatballs

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
2-3 tablspoons Thai red curry paste
400ml can coconut milk
1 long red and 1 long green chilli, seeds removed, thinly sliced, plus extra to serve
3 spring onions, thinly sliced, plus extra to serve
1 lemongrass stem (pale part only), finely chopped
Juice f 2 limes, plus wedges to serve
1/2 cup (60g) almond meal
Steamed rice, to serve

Meatballs
500g lean beef mince
2 spring onions, finely chopped
1 long red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
1 lemongrass stem (pale part only), finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander, plus extra to serve
2 tablespoons finely grated ginger
Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
1 free-range egg, lightly beaten

1. For the meatballs, place all ingredients in a large bowl, season, then use your hands to mix together until will combined. With slightly wet hands, form into about 20 walnut size balls. Chill for 15 minutes.

2. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large, deep frypan over medium heat. Cook the meatballs, in 2 batches, for 10-12 minutes until browned and cooked through. Remove. Set aside.

3. Wide the pan clean, then heat remaining oil over medium-low heat. Add capsicum and cook for 2-3 minutes until softened, then add curry paste and stir for a further minute until fragrant.

4. Stir in coconut milk, chilli, spring onion, lemongrass, lime juice and almond meal. Simmer for 2-3 minutes until slightly reduced and thickened.

5. Return meatballs to curry sauce, stirring gently to coat, then place over a low heat for 1-2 minutes to heat through.

6. Scatter curry with corriander, chilli and spring onion. Serve with rice and lime.

Voila! Bon Appétit!

Red Curry with Meatballs

Comments

8 comments on “Red Curry with Meatballs
  1. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - November 4, 2009 at 11:08 pm

Yeah, who says only the Mediterraneans can enjoy a nice ball o' meat?? We'll show them!

Great recipe, bet it would be nice with pork too, do you think?

2. Adrian @ Food Rehab - November 5, 2009 at 8:33 am

yum! I love meatballs. Whenever I see it on the menu, I freak.

On monday I ditched work to solve my craving and traveled to Tom Phat on sydney rd for thier Mandalay Meatballs- only to find that they were shut!!!! LOL

3. Ellie - November 5, 2009 at 11:32 am

I love meatballs and I love curry too!! Why didn't I think of combining them? hahaha! Thanks for sharing!!! Fantastic dish!

4. imasugarjunkie - November 5, 2009 at 1:11 pm

ooh yum! who would have thought to put meatballs in a curry! but no reason why it wouldnt work!

5. Rilsta - November 5, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Yay, you're back! Hope you had an awesome trip!

What a great idea to combine meatballs and curry!

P.S. What's with the 3 soya sauce bottles in the background?! 😛

6. Iron Chef Shellie - November 5, 2009 at 9:27 pm

Hi Conor – I hear ya! I'm sure it would be fabulous with pork or chicken! nom nom

Hi Adrian – Oh me too!!
    CLOSED?? NOOOOO!!!

Hi Ellie – Yay! I'm glad I'm not the only one =)

Hi imasugarjunkie – It's a genius idea!!

Hi Rilsta – Ha! I only notice the 3 bottles when editing, and I thought "oh someone is bound to comment on that"!!
    I had a pretty good trip! Glad to be home though :)

7. Karine - November 6, 2009 at 1:34 pm

Your recipe seems to be packed with flavors! Thanks for sharing :)

8. Iron Chef Shellie - November 6, 2009 at 10:21 pm

Hi Karine – Sure is! No worries =)