Jaffa Cupcakes

“So I bought this new cupcake cookbook to add to my already massive collection of cookbooks. Despite already owning quite a few cupcake books, I would have to say this one is my favorite. The pictures are gorgeous, and well the first recipe I tried was a MASSIVE success. I made these for the lovely...”

Recipes | August 6, 2009
Jaffa Cupcakes

Jaffa Cupcakes

I made these for the lovely people at work, and it’s fair to say they are a fan of my cooking skills! I brought them to work in my massive cupcake courier, which they all found pretty amazing.

My parents even loved these cupcakes. Dad kept saying the cupcakes were lighter than the icing! And he wasn’t lying either, these cupcakes were so unbelievable light and fluffy, the lightest cupcakes I think I’ve ever had!

Choc-orange is such a successful flavour combination, and put into a cupcake, who could ask for anything more? Why not make a batch yourself!

Jaffa Cupcakes

1 1/3 cups self-raising flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
170ml milk
125g unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest

Orange Buttercream Icing
2 cups icing sugar, sifted
60g unsalted butter, softened
2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
2 tablespoons orange juice
cachous, to decorate

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C fan-forced. Line 12 standard muffin holes with paper cases.

2. Sift the flour and cocoa into a large bowl, then stir in the sugar. Add the egg, milk, melted butter and orange zest and beat with electric beaters for 2 minutes, or until well combined and smooth.

3. Divide the mixture evenly among the cases. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake. Transfer onto a wire rack to cool.

4. To make the orange buttercream, place 1 cup of the icing sugar, the butter, zest and orange juice in a large mixing bowl. Beat with electric beaters until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the remaining icing sugar and beat until the cream is thick.

5. Decorate each cake with buttercream icing and cachous.

Makes 12.

Voila! Bon Appétit!

Jaffa Cupcakes

Comments

9 comments on “Jaffa Cupcakes
  1. Rilsta - August 7, 2009 at 7:45 pm

I'm not a fan of chocolate and orange together but the fact it was so light is making me wanna give these a go! :)

2. Helen (AugustusGloop) - August 7, 2009 at 9:39 pm

these sound so delicious and easy. i love using melted butter – so much easier than pre-planning the room-temperature kind!

3. Iron Chef Shellie - August 8, 2009 at 10:14 am

Hi Rilsta – Not a fan of choc orange? Oh well, just leave out the orange!

Hi Helen – I love using melted butter to! I never remember to take out butter and leave it out. It's not as spontaneous that way! haha

4. Conor - August 8, 2009 at 12:25 pm

love this combination of flavours, and am such a sucker for cachous

5. Iron Chef Shellie - August 8, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Hi Conor – I also am a sucker for cachous!! I used to just sit there and eat them when I was little… real healthy 😉

6. Mr. Taste - August 10, 2009 at 5:30 pm

Yummm Chocolate orange is the best. Going to make Ms. Taste bake some of these babies for me!

7. Iron Chef Shellie - August 10, 2009 at 7:38 pm

Hi Mr.Taste – I think Mrs.Taste will do a fine job of making them! I wish I had a few leftover to have one now! doh 😛

8. Dee - August 18, 2009 at 11:48 am

Just wondering how long these cupcakes will keep for? Can they be refrigerated?

9. Iron Chef Shellie - August 18, 2009 at 7:21 pm

Hi Dee – I try not to keep them for more than 3 days. They were still pretty good on day 3. But keep them in an air tight container. You can keep them in the fridge, but it's not something I like to do. I find it can sometimes make the cake hard.
    Hope that helps =)