Sardine Bruschetta + How To Get to Spain

“This recipe for Sardine Bruschetta is so good it might literally take you to Spain and back. Give it a go, share your results and enter the competition to win a trip.”

Sardine Bruschetta_FEATURE IMAGE
Sardine Bruschetta + How To Get to Spain

Sardine Bruschetta + How To Get to Spain

So, hands up here who wants to go to win a trip to Spain?

Keep you hand up if you cook with olive oil.

Right, then you. Yes, you. The one with your hand still in the air…. put it down, you look like an idiot already. 😛 YOU could win a trip to Spain, just by taking part in The Recipe That Takes You To Spain competition

“In this fantastic trip to Spain for you and one other person of your choice, you will visit the capital city of Madrid, and also Cordoba – a monumental city in Southern Spain which houses architectural treasures like its beautiful Mosque. The prize includes an exquisite meal in Paco Roncero´s unique 2-star Michelin restaurant La Terraza de Casino.”

1. Upload the photo of your dish made with Olive Oil
  2. Share and obtain as many “Likes” as possible.
  3. If your photo is one of the 10 most voted in your country (10 countries participating), you’ll become a semifinalist and we’ll contact you for all the details on your recipe. Just by being a semifinalist, we’ll publish your recipe in our App “Olive Oils from Spain Recipes”.
  4. From among all the semifinalist recipes, the culinary panel will choose three per country to compete in the GRAND FINALE in Spain.
  5. The three winners of the GRAND FINALE will win a fantastic trip to Spain.

For all the details and TO ENTER just click the link; http://bit.ly/1lj9jHL

You can follow all the action on Olive Oil from Spain’s blogFacebook PageAustralian Twitter feed and Instagram.

If you are thinking; “I’ve got no chance!”…please leave your personal address below so that I may come over and personally slap some sense into you. There’s a trip to Spain up for grabs people!

I’m not entering, but I decided to have a bit of fun in the kitchen over the weekend with olive oil, and something I’ve never cooked with; fresh sardines.

I’ve always wanted to photograph sardines, and their silvery metallic skin catches the light so beautifully. I had no idea how to prepare them or cook them. The lady at the fish shop even asked me how to cook them. I felt like going “DUDE! You are meant to know this!!”. Thanks to this youtube video, I was on my way to a lunch of deliciousness.

So after my quick tutorial on scaling and gutting sardines from youtube, I was ready to put these tasty buggers together with some classic flavours. I roasted some garlic and home grown (by my parents) cherry tomatoes.

The roasted garlic is the real key to this dish. It makes the other flavours mash together in harmony, and a bit of fresh parsley never killed anyone. (Maybe it has, disclaimer: I haven’t researched fresh parsley related deaths prior to publishing this story).

A perfect way to laze about an enjoy the weekend.

Sardine Bruschetta
Ingredients
  1. 3-4 garlic bulbs
  2. 250g cherry tomatoes
  3. 12 fresh sardines, scaled and gutted
  4. handful fresh parsley
  5. a loaf of fresh bread, sliced
  6. plenty of olive oil
  7. salt & pepper
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 200C.
  2. Peel away the outer layers of the garlic bulb skin, leaving the skins of the individual cloves intact. Using a knife, cut off the top of cloves, exposing the individual cloves of garlic.
  3. Place garlic bulbs and tomatoes in an oven proof dish. Generously drizzle with olive oil and season. Place in the oven for around 30 minutes. If your tomatoes are starting to burn, take them out (or take the dish out and place the garlic in another oven proof dish, and place back in the oven).
  4. Heat olive oil in a gridle pan, then cook sardines, around 3 minutes each side.
  5. Once the garlic has cooled enough to handle, squeeze the garlic out of the cloves into a bowl.
  6. To serve: spread some roasted garlic onto a fresh slice of bread, mush in some roasted tomatoes, top with 2-3 sardines per slice, and sprinkle with fresh parsley. Add extra seasoning or chilli flakes if you wish.
Iron Chef Shellie http://ironchefshellie.com/

Sardine Bruschetta + How To Get to Spain

Comments

12 comments on “Sardine Bruschetta + How To Get to Spain
  1. leaf (the indolent cook) - May 5, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Nice! Fresh sardines are much tastier than canned, and the bruschetta looks awesome.

2. Martyna @ Wholesome Cook - May 5, 2014 at 10:32 pm

Michelle, these are amazing! I love your photos of late. And those sardines! You’d have my vote girl. Not leaving my address because I don’t want to be slapped although a delivery of your bruschetta would be lovely.

3. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - May 6, 2014 at 11:01 am

wow…I’ve never made sardines and don’t particularly like them because haha i just think of cats when I think of sardines 😛 But you make them look freaking good and hey if I can win a trip to Spain! I’m definitely going to make Ricky make a Tapa or two!

4. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - May 6, 2014 at 11:15 am

YUM! These pictures are just stunning, Michele. I adore your style. You’re rocking it. I need to do this with sardines too, bite the delicious bullet. How yummy are they? Reminds me of Sicily. And Portugal. & Spain, duh. So much olive oil love here x

5. tania@mykitchenstories.com.au - May 6, 2014 at 9:11 pm

I don’t know about the competition but your photos win hands down

6. Gourmet Getaways - May 7, 2014 at 9:35 am

I like the mess on that plate – very homey and real! Muchos gracias for the recipe!

Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

7. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef - May 8, 2014 at 10:25 pm

Don’t slap me! All these photos have me swooning. What a great way to get to Spain!

8. Yasmeen | Wandering Spice - May 23, 2014 at 7:55 am

I always loved you, but I love you even more now that I know you share sardine love. These little guys are SO underrated. The competition sounds amazing and your photos are becoming more and more beautiful.

9. Jeff - July 3, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Cheers ICS – you didn’t need to slap me about. Unfortunately though, many should have been, because there should have been more entries.

Fortunately they didn’t enter, because I won. Wooohooo!

Thanks for spreading the word xoxoxox

10. Lizzy (Good Things) - October 26, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Oh my goodness… yes, yes, yes! Your recipe is divine and those photos, wow!

11. Bryan @ Mega Sardines - November 10, 2014 at 8:20 pm

These photos looks absolutely mouthwatering! Been trying to practice my cooking as well as my plating design just so i can impress my family. This recipe is a perfect snack to share with them! Will make sure to try this as soon as possible!