Kanelbulle

“Cinnamon rolls. Kanelbullar. Kanelbulle. After seeing many #kanelbulle-grams from Ewen, when he was swanning around in Scandinavia; I knew I HAD to make them..and well, quite frankly; it was easier, and cheaper than jumping on the next flight over to stuff my face with all the kanelbulle I could find.”

Kanelbulle_FEATURE IMAGE

Kanelbulle

Cinnamon rolls. Kanelbullar. Kanelbulle. After seeing many #kanelbulle-grams from Ewen, when he was swanning around in Scandinavia; I knew I HAD to make them..and well, quite frankly; it was easier, and cheaper than jumping on the next flight over to stuff my face with all the kanelbulle I could find.  Long weekends are made for overachieving. Whilst I should have been cleaning the house, I deemed it too hot to be upstairs, yet perfect weather for proving dough. Having watched many youtube videos on shaping the dough as well, I was ready for kanelbulle combat.

Grinding cardamon pods in the Thermomix, the smell of freshly ground cardamon was intoxicating. The smell of the baked kanelbulle was pure ecstasy. The smell is still lingering today. I love it. I totally love it. They are traditionally topped with pearl sugar, but I topped mine with chopped slivered almonds instead; almost as pretty! Also, I think I need a bigger kitchen bench; click here to see why.  These don’t taste like your American style cinnamon buns, but they are fragrant, and lovely with a cup of coffee.

Kanelbulle / Kanebullar
Dough
  1. 2/3 cup butter
  2. 2 cups milk
  3. 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
  4. ½ teaspoon salt
  5. ½ cup sugar
  6. 2 teaspoons ground cardamom (I prefer to start with whole cardamom seeds and grind them myself, because you end up with larger and more flavorful bits)
  7. 5 cups all-purpose flour
Filling
  1. 1 cup almond paste (I cup blanched almonds + 1/8-1/4 cup sugar blended in food processor)
  2. 8 tablespoons butter at room temperature
  3. 3 teaspoons ground cardamom
  4. 3 teaspoons cinnamon
Garnish
  1. 1 egg, beaten
  2. Pearl sugar (you can find pearl sugar at select grocery and import stores)
Other
  1. Paper baking cups (you will need 24-30 depending on the size of your cinnamon rolls)
Instructions
  1. Melt the butter in a saucepan and add milk. Heat to 110-155 degrees, which if you are testing by touch, should be slightly warmer than lukewarm.
  2. Place yeast in a bowl and add a small amount of the mil mixture, stirring until the yeast is dissolved. Add the remaining liquid, salt, sugar, cardamom and about 2/3 of the flour, mixing to combine. Knead the dough until it’s smooth and elastic. Add in more flour, but keep a ½ cup aside. The dough is ready when it no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl. Cover with a cloth and set in a warm place to rise. Let it rise until the dough has doubled.
  3. While dough rises, make the almond paste and prep the filling, by combining all ingredients in a bowl and mixing together until smooth.
  4. Punch the dough down and knead a few times in the bowl, then turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in the remaining flour.
  5. Roll out the dough into a large rectangle on a lightly floured surface.
  6. Spread the filling over the dough and fold into thirds, lengthwise, first lifting a third of the dough towards the middle, then folding the top third down so it aligns with the bottom edge of the dough.
  7. Cut the dough into strips, about 2 cm wide. Cut each of the strips to split them down the middle but stop about 2 cm from the top. With each 2 cm strip, twist the two parts together to make a rope. Twist into a bun and place in a paper baking cup.
  8. Cover and let rise for an additional 30-60 minutes.
  9. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with pearl sugar.
  10. Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 8-10 minutes.
Iron Chef Shellie http://ironchefshellie.com/

Recipe I’d like to try next: call-me-cupcake.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/cinnamon-buns.html

Comments

14 comments on “Kanelbulle
  1. Michelle @ The Bakeanista - March 10, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Looks amazeballs!! You go girlfriend!! I am a big BIG fan of cinnamon rolls, but have never tried the Swedish version of Kanelbullar. One day when I feel like overachieving, I shall get to this recipe. 😛

2. leaf (the indolent cook) - March 10, 2014 at 10:52 pm

They look fantastic – I love the shape, colour, textural elements, everything. You are definitely an overachiever!

3. Kristy @ Southern In Law - March 11, 2014 at 5:33 am

These look amazing! Definitely worth all of your research and baking time!

4. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - March 11, 2014 at 6:54 am

Want to smash my face into the screen, Michele. This is everything I love, ever. x

5. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef - March 11, 2014 at 10:13 am

Oh I want! I think I have all the ingredients and my Thermomix thinks I’ve died because I haven’t turned it on in days. I’m on a mission!

6. Joanne T Ferguson - March 11, 2014 at 11:54 am

G’day! These look wonderful Shellie and I can almost smell these through the screen!
    Cheers! Joanne GREAT recipe and photos too!

7. Sara - March 12, 2014 at 3:44 am

Can’t wait to try this! I love cardamom and I love the almond paste filling. These are so cute as well.

8. Pattie - March 12, 2014 at 5:06 am

Can you use Solo almond paste to substitute for blanched almonds and sugar?

9. Hannah - March 12, 2014 at 11:17 am

Holy god yes. Almonds and cardamom?!

10. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - March 14, 2014 at 12:21 am

These was what you were making over the weekend! I remember seeing them on your Instagram :) Never heard of Kanelbulle but I know I’ll like them because I like cinnamon rolls! Love the photo where you put them into the little cup hehe

11. Cara @ Gourmet Chick - March 15, 2014 at 3:36 pm

These look amazing – love that you grind your own spices in the Thermomix as well.

12. Winston - March 16, 2014 at 8:34 pm

I’ve honestly never heard of kanelbulles but couldn’t get them out of my mind ever since you posted them on Instagram! What a great thing to have first thing in the morning

13. milkteaxx - March 18, 2014 at 3:29 pm

haha! too hot to clean but perfect for dough proving! love it!