{Tutorial} Radish Super Mario Mushroom

“Things I thought I never would have thought would have appeared on my blog in a million years #3054. Super Mario mushrooms made out of radishes. It's easier than you think!”

Recipes | April 12, 2013
Mushroom Feature

{Tutorial} Radish Super Mario Mushroom

If you stalk me on Instagram or Twitter, you will be aware I hosted a retro party over the weekend, to celebrate Raz, Lky and my birthdays. With our birthdays a few days apart we decided to get together and have a joint party with a few of our fellow food bloggers. I decided to just invite a whole bunch of people, and only one couple said no… which left me with 19 people in my new house! If you want to check out what we got up to, follow the hashtag #retroparty on instgram. We had a photobooth, played Twister, listened to songs way before our time, and enjoyed food and beverages of the “retro” era.

One of the dishes I made was a French Onion Dip platter. It had the usual suspects; carrot sticks, cucumber sticks, capsicum sticks, cherry tomatoes, and these cute little radish mushrooms. I got the idea off google images as I wanted to know how to cut my radishes retro-ish. This came up and I knew I had to, but instead of doing it the way they did, I used my skills to do it the way I had been taught to make potato mushrooms from the recent BBQ Red Heads Festival masterclass. On another note, it was the first time ever I had to buy French Onion soup mix, and I felt so dirty standing in front of all the packaged sauce mixes, I felt like I was having an affair and didn’t want anyone to see me there 😛 bahaha!

So you too can impress your friends with your next dip platter, salad or whatever you wish to use them on. I can’t guarantee it will make you double in size and strength, allow you to smash through bricks or take and extra hit from enemies, but I tell you they will impress anyone!

Super-Mario-Radish-01 Super-Mario-Radish-01a Super-Mario-Radish-02a Super-Mario-Radish-03a Super-Mario-Radish-04a Super-Mario-Radish-05a Super-Mario-Radish-06a Super-Mario-Radish-07aSuper-Mario-Radish-09

Comments

42 comments on “{Tutorial} Radish Super Mario Mushroom
  1. Kim - April 12, 2013 at 11:19 pm

this is super cute! and the graphics is great!

2. msihua - April 12, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Hahahah! Absolutely love this post!! Such a fun and engaging way to get kids (and adults) to eat radish!

3. Michelle aka The Bakeanista - April 12, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Omg omg omg!!! This is way too cute. I loved the way you did the graphic tutorial using the Mario theme. Love love love!!! <3 But I didn't have the heart to eat the baby radish though. It was too cute to be eaten!

4. Helen (Grab Your Fork) - April 13, 2013 at 12:06 am

Cutest idea ever! And your retro party looked like so much fun!

5. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - April 13, 2013 at 12:39 am

I loved these!!! And I love how you did a tutorial 😉 super cute!!! Will damage this trick up my sleeves next time I have a party :)

Thanks again for inviting me! You’re a fan host!!! Xox

6. leaf (the indolent cook) - April 13, 2013 at 1:13 am

What a great find, too cute!! And awesome tutorial.

7. GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) - April 13, 2013 at 7:49 am

LMAO!!! I actually read your story out loud to Mr GG. I know exactly what you mean! Standing in front of the packet soup range would make me feel like looking over my should to see who was looking at me… bahah, you adulterer 😉

Anyway, I did see these on instagram and I thought they were the cutest things ever, I think I may even plant radishes just so I can give them a go.

8. Hannah - April 13, 2013 at 8:08 am

THIS IS THE BEST POST YOU’VE EVER DONE.

9. Vija - April 13, 2013 at 11:32 am

Love these. Will definitely be trying these out. Thanks for the tutorial

10. Alicia - April 13, 2013 at 1:29 pm

These radishes are too cute! =)

11. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef - April 13, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I loved the scroll up if you need to see the tutorial again. You’re really funny. These mushies are very cute.

12. Caryn - April 13, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Oh my gosh! This is super :) I love it! Such a brilliant idea!

13. Jackie - April 13, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Oh that’s adorable!

(French onion dip, old school unreconstructed style, is a secret pleasure of mine. So very artificial but OMG so tasty)

14. Ashley - April 14, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Bahaha, what a great tutorial! Quite a bit easier than I thought it might be! :) Great way to add a bit of fun to a dish!

15. Amy Tong - April 15, 2013 at 5:51 am

These are so adorable and super fun. The apple corer really makes the job much easier. :) I know my Mom would disagree with me, but I think it’s always fun to play with our food! hahaha….

16. milkteaxx - April 15, 2013 at 1:09 pm

this is one awesome post! cutest radishes ever! loved the post layout too!

17. Cara @ Gourmet Chick - April 15, 2013 at 10:36 pm

This is so clever and cute I love it – happy birthday as well!

18. Agnes - April 23, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Thanks for the party! Loved your radishes, though I would have been more impressed if you’d made mini Marios. 😉

19. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - May 17, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Shellie, these are brilliant! I love them!! 😀

20. Sara @bellyrumbles - May 31, 2013 at 12:09 am

Josh’s 21st birthday is coming up. It will be a Fandom party…… these babies are so bookmarked!