Really Good Gingerbread

“With a recipe named Really Good Gingerbread, how could I not try it? So, what's the verdict?”

With a recipe named Really Good Gingerbread, how could I not try it? Although recipe names aren’t always accurate; Bill Granger’s Never Fail Chocolate Cake failed when I made it. Putting the words never and fail in a recipe name is  just setting you up for failure.

This recipe did involve a trip to the health food store to find some blackstrap molasses.

I was hoping I could get away with what I thought would be ‘regular molasses’ but turns out there isn’t such a thing. There are four types of molasses; lite molasses, cooking molasses, unsulphured molasses and blackstrap molasses. Blackstrap is lower in sugar than the other varieties. To find out the difference check out this link : www.helium.com/items/315569-blackstrap-molasses-vs-regular-molasses-understanding-the-difference

Verdict? It was really good! The addition of cream with extra chopped crystallised ginger, totally unnecessary but extra decadent. Luckily I liked it, cos I don’t know what else to do with the rest of the jar of blackstrap molasses!!

Really Good Gingerbread

Belinda Jeffery

• 1½ cups (225g) plain flour, plus extra to dust
  • ½ tsp bicarb of soda
  • 2 tsp ground ginger (as fresh as possible)
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp ground cloves
  • ¼ tsp ground allspice or nutmeg
  • 7 small lumps crystallised ginger, chopped, plus extra chopped to serve
  • 125g unsalted butter, brought to room temperature
  • 1 lightly packed up (160g) brown sugar
  • ½ cup (185g) blackstrap molasses (available at health food stores)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tbs finely grated fresh ginger
  • 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
  • ½ cup (125ml) buttermilk
  • 1½ tsp vanilla extract
  • Icing sugar, to dust
  • Softly whipped thickened cream, to serve
  1. Preheat the oven to 170°C. Grease a 20cm square cake pan. Line base with buttered baking paper and dust with flour.
  2. Sift flour, soda and ground spices into a large bowl. Stir in the crystallised ginger, then set aside. Place butter and brown sugar in another bowl, and beat with an electric beater on medium speed for 3-4 minutes until fluffy. Add molasses and beat until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each additions – don’t worry if the batter looks curdled, it will smooth out when you add the flour. Mix in fresh ginger and zest, then gently beat in the flour mixture. Add buttermilk and vanilla and beat on low speed until just combined.
  3. Scrape into the pan. Bake for 35 minutes or until the top feels springy and  a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  4. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes, then carefully loosen around the sides and invert onto the rack to cool completely.
  5. To serve, dust with icing sugar and cut into 12 slices. Top with cream and extra crystallised ginger. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days, or in the fridge for up to 10 days, if you prefer it stickier.

Comments

32 comments on “Really Good Gingerbread
  1. JJ @ 84thand3rd - May 13, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I adore gingerbread cake and this looks delicious! Molasses keeps for ages so there is no need to use it right away but I put it in bread (to activate yeast instead of sugar) and in teriyaki marinades for meat and fish.

2. Michelle - May 13, 2012 at 10:36 pm

thanks for sharing the link. I actually do not know much about molasses. 😀

3. leaf (the indolent cook) - May 13, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Glad to hear it really was really good! Oh and I love blackstrap molasses. Such a rich dark flavour.

4. Tv Food and Drink - May 14, 2012 at 5:57 am

Thanks for the molasses education. I really had no idea. Beautiful pics!

5. Tina @ bitemeshowme - May 14, 2012 at 8:16 am

This looks fantastic, Shellie! I’ve only recently discovered gingbread and it is amazing. I always steered clear of it because I always thought it tasted much a like ginger, which sadly, I am not a fan of…

• Iron Chef Shellie - May 16, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Thanks Tina! I never used to be a ginger fan, but my tastes seems to be developing the older, or the more cooking I do :)

6. Sefie - May 14, 2012 at 8:52 am

You can use molasses to simulate raw or brown sugar if you’ve run out. Just whizz up normal white sugar with a dollop of molasses in a food processor and store in an air-tight container. I eyeball about 2 tbsp molasses to a cup of white sugar. Or if you’re lazy like me, just replace the brown sugar with an equal (or slightly smaller) amount of white sugar, and dollop the molasses in.

• Iron Chef Shellie - May 16, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Thanks for the tips Sefie, good to know the multiple purposes it has!

7. Esz - May 14, 2012 at 8:54 am

Oh yeh – I’m gonna make this! Nothing I like better than a super spicy, rich cake. Yum!!
    If you need another recipe for the molasses, try this one http://noblepig.com/2009/12/09/guinness-stout-ginger-cake.aspx I made it a while ago and it’s extremely delicious – It only specifies ‘molasses’ but I reckon the blackstrap should work.

• Iron Chef Shellie - May 16, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Yay! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Thanks for the link, LOVE stout in cakes!

8. Little Pudding - May 14, 2012 at 11:30 am

Looks yum. Only ever had gingerbread so will give this a go.
    Molasses is great in pecan pie too, if you have another sweet craving!

9. tania@mykitchenstories - May 14, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Your gingerbread looks fantastic. I look forward to giving it a try

10. Nic@diningwithastud - May 14, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Perfect with the crystallised ginger :)

11. Gisele - May 14, 2012 at 3:29 pm

This makes me definitely crave for one and I am sure my kids would love to have it on weekends when we go to grandma’s house.. Anyway, thanks for the recipe..

12. Hannah - May 14, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Oh! I adore blackstrap molasses and gingerbread both, so this is right up my alley (so long as I ignore the crystallised ginger. What can I say? I’m an enigma). Looks lovely and dense, spicy, wonderful!

13. Cara @ Gourmet Chick - May 14, 2012 at 9:17 pm

That’s true dedication where you have to go to a special shop to get ingredients – sounds like it was worth it though. Personally I had no idea there were four types of molasses – have learnt something new!

• Iron Chef Shellie - May 16, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Indeed it is! Glad I could share my new found molasses knowledge 😛

14. Winston - May 15, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Hahhaha!! I totally understand how you feel about buying an ingredient just for the sake of a recipe then left clueless about what to do with the rest lol! Hey very informative too. I didn’t know there were that many kinds of molasses. Really want to try this recipe now. Looks as good as it sounds… Yum, Michele!!

15. Sara (Belly Rumbles) - May 18, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Love a good ginger bread. Your really good one looks delicious.

16. msihua - May 20, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Yayy for success! Boo to never fail :( Hahaha oh yeah I must now go eats cake!

17. Gourmet getaways - May 20, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Oh!! I used to have a delicious gingerbread recipe that I made all the time but I lost it :0 I hope this is my new replacement recipe.

18. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - May 23, 2012 at 3:56 pm

As soon as I see recipes with more than 1 different type of ginger, my head spins. I think I just need to buy crystallised ginger already so I have some in the pantry & can stop using that as an excuse! Coz this looks soooo good. Or really good 😛

All content on this site by Shellie Froidevaux, otherwise known as Iron Chef Shellie. Her skills include food styling in her kitchen studio, lifestyle and travel photography across Australia, restaurant photography on location, building social media for her clients, recipe development with love, menu consulting for cafes and graphic design for people with discerning tastes :)