Mexican Grilled Rump Steak with Rice & Corn

“A tasty combination of zingy flavours, and coupled with my awesome Mexican corn, this dish is bound to be a pleaser, even to the coriander haters!”

Recipes | April 7, 2012
Mexican Grilled Rump Steak with Rice & Corn

Mexican Grilled Rump Steak with Rice & Corn

Happy Easter readers! Hope you are having a great time eating chocolate, hot cross buns, and all the other easter fare.

I was going through photos on my phone last night when I saw a photo a took of this dish, and remembered how awesome it was. I realised I had to make it again, but had I blogged it? Nope!

Mexican Grilled Rump Steak with Rice & Corn

1 small onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
200g (1 cup) long-grain white rice
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
95g passata
1/4 cup chopped coriander

1. To marinate steak, process sugar, passata, coriander leaves and stems, garlic, 1½ tablespoons oil, fresh chillies, paprika, ground coriander, 60ml water and 2 teaspoons salt in a food processor to a puree. Place steak in a shallow dish (not metal), and pour over marinade and rub into steak. Cover and refrigerate overnight to marinate (I marinated for about 40 minutes and it was still delicious).
  2. To make Mexican rice, heat oil in a heavy-based saucepan over meidum heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 mintues or until soft. Add rice, cumin and 1 teapsoon salt, and stir for 1 minute or until fragrant. Combine passata with 310ml water in a bowl, then stir into rice. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low-medium. Cover with a lid and cook for 12 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and stand covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in coriander.
  3. Preheat a barbecue or chargrill to medium-high. Meanwhile remove steak from marinade, leaving a thick coating of marinade on th meat. Cook steak to your liking, then rest coverd in foil.
  4. Toss corn with remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a bowl. Cook corn, turning every 2 minutes for 8 minutes or until tender and charred. Transfer to a bowl, add lime juice, chilli flakes and parmesan, then season with salt. Toss to combine.
  5. Divide rice and corn among plates. Cut steak across the grain into 1 cm-thick slices. Drizzle steak with any resting juices and serve with lime cheeks.

Mexican Grilled Rump Steak with Rice & Corn

Comments

12 comments on “Mexican Grilled Rump Steak with Rice & Corn
  1. Michelle - April 7, 2012 at 12:10 pm

ooh corn! my favorite! even better with butter. *blushes*

2. leaf (the indolent cook) - April 7, 2012 at 1:28 pm

That marinade sounds absolutely delicious, so much flavour! Steak looks perfectly cooked too. Yum.

3. Danielle - April 7, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I have just found out that I’m lactose intolerant and have fructose malabsorption (which means I can’t have onion, garlic, fruit juice, dried fruit, honey, apples, pears, gluten and a lot of other fruit and vegetables). But I can have this minus the garlic and onion, and there will still be plenty of flavour! Hooray. Thanks.

• Iron Chef Shellie - April 8, 2012 at 9:23 am

Woah what a change to your diet that must be! Glad you can adapt this one, it’s delicious!

4. Thanh - April 7, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I love steak and grilled corns. Must try this recipe. Looks so good.

5. Chopinand @ ChopinandMysaucepan - April 8, 2012 at 8:20 am

Dear Iron Chef Shellie,

Happy Easter to you too. What a nice combo of corn and steak.

6. msihua - April 8, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Such pretty pictures! Love these plates too :)

7. tania@mykitchenstories - April 8, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Love this combo. For me some pureed avocado and I am in heaven.
    Happy Easter!

8. Miss T - April 9, 2012 at 6:03 am

Bingo! this looks tremendous. Hairy boils our corn for an hour. Dont ask…

9. Sara (Belly Rumbles) - April 9, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Happy Easter! Love the flavour combinations in this dish. Wow how gorgeously cooked is your steak, sitting here drooling on my key board – major cravings!

10. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - April 9, 2012 at 6:33 pm

yum yum yum! totally varying this now, especially the corn & beef! Happy Easter :)

11. Libby - April 10, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Awww, how does one hate coriander?!?! 😐

Always looking for new ones to cook steak – thanks for posting this up! Yum!