Innocent Bystander / Giant Steps

For me, the Little Creatures Brewing Co. can do no wrong.
I their beer, I their cider, I their well matched, perfectly cooked food and their funky eateries. Now, I can add to that; I their Moscato.

I was lucky enough to score Hamsley’s birthday off work, and with him sitting at home all day looking after this recent injury, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to go for a drive to get him out of the house.

It was going to be a choice of White Rabbit Brewery or the Red Hill Brewery. I remember hearing nothing but good things about Innocent Bystander from a large array of people, we had to go and check it out for ourselves. Only when we arrived I realised it was part of the Little Creatures group, so knew I was in for a good time.

I started off with a glass of the famous Moscato, and the birthday boy of course went for the White Rabbit beer. It was quite possibly the best Moscato I’ve ever had, and I nearly walked out with a six pack of it, but it’s okay; I can order it online!

Spicy pork sausage, buffalo mozzarella, san marzano tomato & chilli – $23

I had heard the pizzas were good, and Hamsley ordered the one that sounded most appealing. Boy it was a spicy one compared to all the other mild ones you are usually served. That green stuff isn’t pesto, it’s green chilli. It was just perfect, nice thin, crispy base and mouth watering topping.

Housecut chips (organic dobsons potatoes) & aioli – $8.50

Hamsley’s latest thing is aioli. I wanted to try the truffle and parmesan frites, but it was his special day so I didn’t want to interfere. The chips were great, and the aioli was creamy and dreamy.

Duck & mushroom pie with carrot mash – $37

Nothing else on the menu screamed at me like the duck and mushroom pie did. The price tag was a little off putting, but how often do I drive out to Healesville? Oh boy, it was everything I wanted it to be and more. The duck just melted in my mouth, and the sauce and mash for me seemed to go really well. The pastry was lovely and flaky and I couldn’t get enough. I was so glad I ordered it.

Service wasn’t too bad, the kitchen was rather slow. Our drinks had gotten warm by the time the food came. Hamsley asked if they could top up the beer as it had gotten warm and they said he could have another one for free after the one he had. This was their way to make it up to us for waiting so long. Needless to say, I had a very happy Hamsley after lots of beer, he feel asleep on the way home far too easily :P

Wish we had discovered the arcade table whilst waiting for our food!

The great thing about this place was not only is there a bistro, there is also wine tasting, a cheese room, artisan bakery and coffee roasting. You can even see the bakers work their yeasty magic.

Wish we could have tried the Moscato sorbet. Unfortunately they were all out when we were there.

Apart from the slow food arriving, it’s so worth it. The food is top knotch, and if that doesn’t satisfy you, I’m sure the drinks will!

We decided to check out the little ice cream shop just past Beechworth Bakery (if you’ve been to the Giant Steps, you’ll know what I mean). They even have ice cream from Tasmania there. I highly reccomend the Ferreo Rocher and Honeycomb Crunch. Birthday boy’s rocky road was full of cherries which seemed a little weird but his buttered pecan was a winner.

Giant Steps / Innocent Bystander Winery on Urbanspoon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Comments
30 Responses to “Innocent Bystander / Giant Steps”
  1. Libby says:

A friend of mine wants to drive up to the Innocent Bystander and after reading your review, I’m even more excited about it! And while I don’t have a terribly sweet tooth, I do love a good moscato. Mmmmm…
    Libby recently posted..It Was A Real Nice Gnocchi

2. JP says:

Looks like the season for a trip to Giant Steps!

Also seems that the price of a pizza factors in a free drink which happened to us too.

good spot, would also like White Rabbit to do some brewery specials.
    JP recently posted..Giant Steps – Innocent Bystander

3. The glasses are adorable… and the duck pie ? TAKE ME NOW. :D
    foodie and the chef recently posted..Chinese New Year special – yum cha in Hong Kong

4. The moscato is delish! I did walk out with half a dozen ;)
    penny aka jeroxie recently posted..Pineapple and coconut ice cream

5. omg arcade while you wait? Woo! Awesome birthday meal by the looks of it, and I guess the wait was worth it with the extra beer ;)
    Conor @ HoldtheBeef recently posted..Hippie Nude Gear!

6. Michelle says:

This place seems far away but their pie is calling for me T_T
    Michelle recently posted..Review- Macarons @ Jean Paul Hevin- IFC Mall- Central HK

7. Esz says:

I love Innocent Bystander. If you’re into wine then sign up to their club (its free)…I get calls from them every six months and get cases of wine for cheap.
    Esz recently posted..Vogue 1137 – Navy dress

8. Ashley Ng says:

Oooh, never realised it was part of the Little Creatures group! Will definitely have to check it out now! :)
    Ashley Ng recently posted..Chilli India

9. Hannah says:

That duck pie looks wonderfully intense, but I must admit my real interest is in the buttered pecan and Ferrero Rocher ice creams. It’s too hot for pie right now!
    Hannah recently posted..Ani Phyo’s Coconut Breakfast Cakes- More Raw Vegan Fun!

10. YUM!! That pizza looked awesome!!!!

Hubby loves his beer, this would have a been a great day out! Especially with the wine and cheese aspect :)
    GourmetGetaways recently posted..Bachelorette Party

11. Mez says:

Great photos!!! But tell me, STAT!! WHERE IS THE WHITE RABBIT BREWERY?!!?!? I LOVE White Rabbit, it’s one of my all time favourite beers!!!! Unfortunately, after drinking Rekorderlig for the past year I can no longer drink any other cider. I’ve found there is nothing better, you MUST try it if you haven’t. xoxox
    Mez recently posted..A Little To The Left

12. How good is the Innocent Bystander huh., we spent half a day there & I do believe its some of the best food & wine & beer I’ve had over my holidays,loved it to bits.

13. Susan says:

I discovered their moscato a few years ago and was instantly hooked. We were here every day in our weeks stay in healesville and I have to say they have the best coffee I have ever had. All their bread and cakes are awesome as well. I love this place!!
    Susan recently posted..Satay Chicken

14. Sarah says:

Looks great! I love Little Creatures’ Pale Ale, especially on a hot summer day. I’ve only been to the Dining Hall once, and wasn’t too impressed – but Innocent Bystander looks great! Love the pics of the bakery!

xox Sarah
    Sarah recently posted..Maple-Apple Cakelets with Calvados-Mascarpone Cream

15. ok wow, look at that pizza!! yes moscato sorbet would have been wonderful to try! next time :) I love a pale ale, sounds like a nice weekend visit.
    Heidi – Apples Under My Bed recently posted..Swimming at Ban Mai

16. Nalini says:

Innocent bystander is one of my favorites, by far…the moscato is heavenly! Their dining hall is really good, too, because not only can you have the moscato there (saving yourself an hour’s drive) but you can also have the mussels and lamb spring rolls which are great!

Oh, I used to think the Innocent Bystander moscato was the best but I have a new favorite now. The pink moscato from T’Gallant vineyard in Main Ridge, Mornington Peninsula (http://www.tgallant.com.au/wines.aspx). It’s a bit pricy at about $29 a bottle, but it’s definitely a must-try! :)

17. Thanh says:

Love how you reference wine like beer, a six pack.

Looks like a nice place and somewhere I must keep in mind.
    Thanh recently posted..Pan Asian – Nuffnang Bloggers Meet Up

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Iron Chef Shellie, Jackie. Jackie said: RT @IronChefShellie: incase you missed: my review on Innocent Bystander / Giant Steps http://ironchefshellie.com/2011/02/02/innocent-by … [...]