Innocent Bystander / Giant Steps

“For me, the Little Creatures Brewing Co. can do no wrong. I ❤ their beer, I ❤ their cider, I ❤ their well matched, perfectly cooked food and their funky eateries. Now, I can add to that; I ❤ their Moscato. I was lucky enough to score Hamsley’s birthday off work, and with him sitting...”

February 2, 2011

For me, the Little Creatures Brewing Co. can do no wrong.
I their beer, I their cider, I their well matched, perfectly cooked food and their funky eateries. Now, I can add to that; I their Moscato.

I was lucky enough to score Hamsley’s birthday off work, and with him sitting at home all day looking after this recent injury, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to go for a drive to get him out of the house.

It was going to be a choice of White Rabbit Brewery or the Red Hill Brewery. I remember hearing nothing but good things about Innocent Bystander from a large array of people, we had to go and check it out for ourselves. Only when we arrived I realised it was part of the Little Creatures group, so knew I was in for a good time.

I started off with a glass of the famous Moscato, and the birthday boy of course went for the White Rabbit beer. It was quite possibly the best Moscato I’ve ever had, and I nearly walked out with a six pack of it, but it’s okay; I can order it online!

I had heard the pizzas were good, and Hamsley ordered the one that sounded most appealing. Boy it was a spicy one compared to all the other mild ones you are usually served. That green stuff isn’t pesto, it’s green chilli. It was just perfect, nice thin, crispy base and mouth watering topping.

Hamsley’s latest thing is aioli. I wanted to try the truffle and parmesan frites, but it was his special day so I didn’t want to interfere. The chips were great, and the aioli was creamy and dreamy.

Nothing else on the menu screamed at me like the duck and mushroom pie did. The price tag was a little off putting, but how often do I drive out to Healesville? Oh boy, it was everything I wanted it to be and more. The duck just melted in my mouth, and the sauce and mash for me seemed to go really well. The pastry was lovely and flaky and I couldn’t get enough. I was so glad I ordered it.

Service wasn’t too bad, the kitchen was rather slow. Our drinks had gotten warm by the time the food came. Hamsley asked if they could top up the beer as it had gotten warm and they said he could have another one for free after the one he had. This was their way to make it up to us for waiting so long. Needless to say, I had a very happy Hamsley after lots of beer, he feel asleep on the way home far too easily 😛

Wish we had discovered the arcade table whilst waiting for our food!

The great thing about this place was not only is there a bistro, there is also wine tasting, a cheese room, artisan bakery and coffee roasting. You can even see the bakers work their yeasty magic.

Wish we could have tried the Moscato sorbet. Unfortunately they were all out when we were there.

Apart from the slow food arriving, it’s so worth it. The food is top knotch, and if that doesn’t satisfy you, I’m sure the drinks will!

We decided to check out the little ice cream shop just past Beechworth Bakery (if you’ve been to the Giant Steps, you’ll know what I mean). They even have ice cream from Tasmania there. I highly reccomend the Ferreo Rocher and Honeycomb Crunch. Birthday boy’s rocky road was full of cherries which seemed a little weird but his buttered pecan was a winner.

Giant Steps / Innocent Bystander Winery on Urbanspoon

Comments

30 comments on “Innocent Bystander / Giant Steps
  1. Libby - February 2, 2011 at 9:26 pm

A friend of mine wants to drive up to the Innocent Bystander and after reading your review, I’m even more excited about it! And while I don’t have a terribly sweet tooth, I do love a good moscato. Mmmmm…

2. JP - February 2, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Looks like the season for a trip to Giant Steps!

Also seems that the price of a pizza factors in a free drink which happened to us too.

good spot, would also like White Rabbit to do some brewery specials.

3. foodie and the chef - February 2, 2011 at 10:25 pm

The glasses are adorable… and the duck pie ? TAKE ME NOW. 😀

4. penny aka jeroxie - February 2, 2011 at 11:33 pm

The moscato is delish! I did walk out with half a dozen 😉

5. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - February 3, 2011 at 1:00 am

omg arcade while you wait? Woo! Awesome birthday meal by the looks of it, and I guess the wait was worth it with the extra beer 😉

6. Michelle - February 3, 2011 at 1:13 am

This place seems far away but their pie is calling for me T_T

7. Esz - February 3, 2011 at 9:29 am

I love Innocent Bystander. If you’re into wine then sign up to their club (its free)…I get calls from them every six months and get cases of wine for cheap.

8. Ashley Ng - February 3, 2011 at 10:06 am

Oooh, never realised it was part of the Little Creatures group! Will definitely have to check it out now! :)

9. Hannah - February 3, 2011 at 12:17 pm

That duck pie looks wonderfully intense, but I must admit my real interest is in the buttered pecan and Ferrero Rocher ice creams. It’s too hot for pie right now!

10. GourmetGetaways - February 3, 2011 at 2:22 pm

YUM!! That pizza looked awesome!!!!

Hubby loves his beer, this would have a been a great day out! Especially with the wine and cheese aspect :)

11. Mez - February 3, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Great photos!!! But tell me, STAT!! WHERE IS THE WHITE RABBIT BREWERY?!!?!? I LOVE White Rabbit, it’s one of my all time favourite beers!!!! Unfortunately, after drinking Rekorderlig for the past year I can no longer drink any other cider. I’ve found there is nothing better, you MUST try it if you haven’t. xoxox

12. Anna Johnston - February 4, 2011 at 9:05 am

How good is the Innocent Bystander huh., we spent half a day there & I do believe its some of the best food & wine & beer I’ve had over my holidays,loved it to bits.

13. Susan - February 4, 2011 at 9:29 am

I discovered their moscato a few years ago and was instantly hooked. We were here every day in our weeks stay in healesville and I have to say they have the best coffee I have ever had. All their bread and cakes are awesome as well. I love this place!!

14. Sarah - February 5, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Looks great! I love Little Creatures’ Pale Ale, especially on a hot summer day. I’ve only been to the Dining Hall once, and wasn’t too impressed – but Innocent Bystander looks great! Love the pics of the bakery!

xox Sarah

15. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - February 7, 2011 at 2:16 pm

ok wow, look at that pizza!! yes moscato sorbet would have been wonderful to try! next time :) I love a pale ale, sounds like a nice weekend visit.

16. Nalini - February 23, 2011 at 11:57 am

Innocent bystander is one of my favorites, by far…the moscato is heavenly! Their dining hall is really good, too, because not only can you have the moscato there (saving yourself an hour’s drive) but you can also have the mussels and lamb spring rolls which are great!

Oh, I used to think the Innocent Bystander moscato was the best but I have a new favorite now. The pink moscato from T’Gallant vineyard in Main Ridge, Mornington Peninsula (http://www.tgallant.com.au/wines.aspx). It’s a bit pricy at about $29 a bottle, but it’s definitely a must-try! :)

17. Thanh - February 23, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Love how you reference wine like beer, a six pack.

Looks like a nice place and somewhere I must keep in mind.

All content on this site by Shellie Froidevaux, otherwise known as Iron Chef Shellie. Her skills include food styling in her kitchen studio, lifestyle and travel photography across Australia, restaurant photography on location, building social media for her clients, recipe development with love, menu consulting for cafes and graphic design for people with discerning tastes :)