The Dishwashing Ordeal & Nigella’s Chocolate Pistachio Fudge

“If you haven’t been following me on twitter, you might not know why my blogging streak ended. Wednesday night, Hamsley was washing the dishes, picked up a glass to wash; it slipped from his hands, smashed onto the side of the sink, and a shard of glass landed in his wrist. A call to triple...”

The Dishwashing Ordeal & Nigella’s Chocolate Pistachio Fudge

The Dishwashing Ordeal & Nigella’s Chocolate Pistachio Fudge

If you haven’t been following me on twitter, you might not know why my blogging streak ended. Wednesday night, Hamsley was washing the dishes, picked up a glass to wash; it slipped from his hands, smashed onto the side of the sink, and a shard of glass landed in his wrist. A call to triple zero was made very shortly after as you would imagine. We ended up canceling the ambulance after a short wait as the cut wasn’t oozing blood and went to emergency at hospital. After a wait and seen by the doctor, we were told he might have damaged a nerve and would have to have surgery. He spent the night in the pediatric ward (there was another 24 year old in there too), and would need to be transferred to another hospital to see the plastic surgery team to be operated on.

The next day we were expecting to be transferred first thing like the doctor the night before had mentioned, but we sat around till about 4pm when a bed finally became available. Once he had been admitted and we waited for the surgeons to come around. Poor Hamsley fell asleep when one of the surgeons came around to tell us he wouldn’t be operated on that night as a trauma case had just come in. He would have to stay the night and be operated on the following day. I waited for him to wake up to tell him, and to tell him he could drink and eat as he had been fasting since midnight and kept complaining how thirsty and hungry he was. Once he was awoken by 4 surgeons coming to check him out properly, he had the 4 tiny sandwiches the nurse had given him, then we went to the cafeteria for a hot meal.

Hamsley had the chicken biscuit (chicken schnitzel so dry and sooooo flat, one handed Hamsley ate it with his hands like a biscuit) with wedges, and I had some surprisingly good cannelloni. It might have just been good cos I had barely eaten all day.

I arrived the following morning where Hamsley was fasting yet again. We waited and waited and then finally he was taken for an x-ray, then more waiting, then finally was whisked away for surgery. We were a bit worried as one surgeon had said he had a 75% chance of getting 75% of being back to normal depending on the nerve damage. Just over 3 hours later of me sitting around watching horrible TV shows and finding meatballs for lunch, Hamsley returns from surgery, a complete comedian under anesthetic. The first thing he told me was the surgeon said he will recover 100%, which puts a huge smile on my face.

So now I’m glad to have him back home again; even if it means I’ll be doing the dishes all the time for a while now. We have bought plastic cups instead a of dishwasher. Every person we talked to in the hospital seemed to have a dish washing horror story. There was even someone else in the day treatment centre that was there due to dish washing. So a lesson to you all, please be careful!

All the nurses and doctors were just fantastic. They gave him as much shit as he was giving them, which helped to get through the painful hours of waiting with no answers.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to everyone who sent wishes. It really helped to lift our spirits and make us feel incredibly loved.

I made Nigella’s fudge after seeing it on tv. It was so easy to make, and I didn’t have time to bake for Christmas presents. I’m still getting feedback from people saying how much they loved it. Even people who I didn’t think would eat it all, saying they couldn’t stop eating it!

Chocolate Pistachio Fudge

Nigella Lawson

350g/12oz dark chocolate, at least 70 per cent cocoa solids, chopped
1 x 397g/14oz can condensed milk
30g/1oz butter
pinch salt
150g/5¼oz unsalted pistachios, shells removed

1. Place the chopped chocolate, condensed milk, butter and salt into a heavy-based pan over a low heat and stir until melted and well combined.

2. Place the nuts into a freezer bag and bash them with a rolling pin, until broken up into some large and some small pieces.

3. Add the nuts to the melted chocolate mixture and stir well.

4. Pour the mixture into a 23cm/9in square tray, smoothing the top with a wet palette knife.

5. Let the fudge cool, then refrigerate until set.

6. Cut into small pieces approximately 3cm x 2cm/1¼in x ¾in. Cutting 7 x 7 lines in the tin to give 64 pieces best achieves this.

7. Once cut, the fudge can be kept in the freezer – there’s no need to thaw, just eat straight away.

Makes approximately 64 fudge squares.

The Dishwashing Ordeal & Nigella’s Chocolate Pistachio Fudge

Comments

34 comments on “The Dishwashing Ordeal & Nigella’s Chocolate Pistachio Fudge
  1. Michelle - January 10, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I never heard or experienced a dish washing horror story before! This would be my first time reading something like that. The nerve thing got me slightly afraid – my eyes were growing larger and the “o” of my lips were getting rounder. Thank god, Hamsley is okay.

The only glass-involved accident I had was when my dad drop a beer bottle on the floor in my grandparent’s place and a shard of glass flew from the spot where it was dropped to my leg, which was quite a distant away. The glass piece was quite huge and part of the glass was stuck inside my ankle.

It looked like something from a nightmare.

2. Emma @CakeMistress - January 10, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Poor Hamlsey. Very glad he’s on track to a 100% recovery and survived hospital food in the process.
    Nigella’s fudge recipe looks awesome. What lovely Christmas pressies.

3. Celeste @ Berrytravels - January 10, 2011 at 7:34 pm

I’m really glad to hear that your boy is doing okay / better ! I think having to deal with hospitals are incredibly scary and stressful… so glad the both of you got through it okay.

4. Agnes - January 10, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Better not let Alastair read this or he’ll stop doing the dishes. 😉 I’m really, really glad that Hamsley is a-okay!

Fudge looks good.. mhmm condensed milk… oh yeah!

5. Thanh - January 10, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I always knew house work was dangerous. Luckily Hamish will be all fine, which is good to know.

6. Phuoc'n Delicious - January 10, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Good to hear he is on the way to recovery. Do you think he’ll try to get out of dishwashing in the future when he gets better?

The fudge looks awesome!

7. mademoiselle délicieuse - January 10, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Good to hear you’re both recovering well from the incident and I like how he was in the paediatric ward – look at that cute little teddy bear looking over his arm!

Best wishes for returning to normality soon =)

• Iron Chef Shellie - January 11, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Thanks darling! There is something about a teddy that makes being in hospital bearable… (oh what a terrible pun!!)

8. The Food Mentalist - January 10, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Geee! So sorry to hear about that :(
    Pete once put his empty wine glass on the floor then got up and foot his foot through it! it’s so scary!
    Hope all is well again,

on a lighter note, love the fudge :)

9. penny aka jeroxie - January 10, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Good that he back in your arms and home and will be well soon :)

Kitchen is a dangerous place. Mine involves knives, more knives and loads of burns.

10. Hannah - January 10, 2011 at 10:22 pm

As I mentioned on twitter, I’m so so so relieved for you and the comedian (though what a heckuva start to 2011)! Wonderful looking fudge – I saw this on Nigella the other week too, though haven’t managed to make it despite not having spent hours in hospital like you did, you trooper!

11. Helen (grabyourfork) - January 11, 2011 at 1:06 am

Poor Hamsley! Glad to hear he is ok now and on the mend. And I always knew housework was dangerous. lol.

12. kristy @ ksayerphotography - January 11, 2011 at 5:42 am

So glad to hear Hamsley is on the mend and you’re both doing well! Plastic cups sound like a much safer option 😛

That fudge looks so good! What a perfect gift!

13. Tv Food and Drink - January 11, 2011 at 6:39 am

Glad everything is going to be ok – Gary

14. Jeanne Edwards - January 11, 2011 at 7:49 am

T’was a nightmare for all with Hamsley and His accident Shellie, so pleased it is all over and all will be well Shellie, I am sure your Hamsley will be back washing the dishes again soon, with all your T.L.C. And the new beaut Plastic Cups. Love the Pics of your Yom Fudge, very taste tempting. x :)

15. Susan - January 11, 2011 at 11:21 am

Oh my god how terrible! We don’t have a dishwasher either and wash everything by hand. I will be extra careful from now on when washing glasses. Hope everything is ok now.

16. Anna Johnston - January 12, 2011 at 11:44 am

My goodness, I’m beginning to feel awfully lucky I’ve never had a dishwasher horror story…., hope the arm comes back better than ever.., glad you survived the hospital food, that chicken schnitty looked a bit worse for the wear huh.

17. Julie - January 21, 2011 at 11:48 am

Hey Shellie, I am glad hear he is doing fine :)