Pistachio & Chicken Korma

“For me, the only Indian food I would ever require is; a good butter chicken, perfectly cooked basmati rice and garlic naan. I guess I found this was so good, why bother trying anything else? I never thought any other dish lived up close to how good butter chicken was. However, Hamsley has recently voiced...”

Recipes | November 4, 2010
Pistachio & Chicken Korma

Pistachio & Chicken Korma

However, Hamsley has recently voiced his craving for Indian food. He is also a lover of butter chicken, but wants to try other kormas and curries. So, being the good girlfriend I am, I thought it was time I became Iron Chef Indian more often. I’ve got lots of Indian recipes flagged for us to try. I should really thank him though, I’m sure there are some fantastic curries out there waiting to prove to me butter chicken is not the only amazing Indian dish out there for me. So on that note, time to stock up on spices!!

I just love the colour of pistachios. I love how some of them blush against the greenyness of the other nuts. These were one of my favorite nuts growing up. I remember sitting at the table shelling them for a little salty reward.

We saw this recipe on Poh’s Kitchen quite some time ago. I’ve watched it, as well as many of her other episodes countless times. You can watch this episode here: http://www.abc.net.au/tv/pohskitchen/stories/s2860034.htm

I stumbled into a book shop on my lunch break to find she had a cook book out! I just adore Poh, so I had to get it (after a quick flick of course). This was the first dish I’ve made from it.

It’s more of a mellow korma, with no real spiciness. Lovely and decadent, we both loved it.

Chicken & Pistachio Korma

Ragini Dey

4 onions, quartered
¾ cup pistachio kernels
4 green chillies
30ml oil
1 ½ tbs ginger and garlic paste
1 tbs coriander powder
1 tsp white pepper powder
1 kg diced chicken thigh fillets (skin and fat removed)
Salt to taste
¾ cup yogurt
½ cup cream
½ tsp garam masala powder (made from roasted cumin seeds, cinnamon sticks, cloves, green cardamom and black peppercorn)

1. Boil onions in one cup of water, drain, cool and puree. Puree pistachios and green chilli, keeping a few nuts aside for garnish.
2. Heat the oil and add the onions and sauté for four minutes, do not brown. Add ginger and garlic paste. Fry for one minute and stir in coriander and pepper powders. Add pistachio and green chilli paste and cook for about a minute.

3. Put in the chicken with the salt and mix well. Add a little water (quarter of a cup) and cook gently until done. Stir in the yogurt and cook for a further two minutes.

4. Add cream and garam masala. Garnish with pistachio nuts and serve hot.

Served with tomato rice. You’ll have to get the recipe book for that one!

Pistachio & Chicken Korma

Comments

29 comments on “Pistachio & Chicken Korma
  1. allan - November 4, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Parents aren’t particular big fans of Indian, kind of difficult to make if I just eat by myself. Sigh. =P
    Mmm, had some lovely butter chicken whilst i was in India in Dec-Jan this year.

2. Emanuela @ The Foodie Goddess - November 4, 2010 at 8:39 pm

I got the book the other day and saw this recipe and thought of you :) hehehe Looks very nice!
    Emanuela @ The Foodie Goddess

3. Hannah - November 4, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Heavens, I love pistachios! I’d never make this dish in its entirety though… I’d end up eating the pistachios on their own!

4. michelle - November 5, 2010 at 6:18 am

Wow Poh has a book now!

5. GourmetGetaways - November 5, 2010 at 6:45 am

Indian is one of my favourite styles of food. I order Lamb Korma everytime, and hubby gets Butter Chicken everytime!! The only time we try something different is when we are sharing with friends :) I will have to mend my ways.

• Iron Chef Shellie - November 5, 2010 at 9:45 pm

haha it’s nice to have the dish you always order, but I guess there are many more options to try too!

6. Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella - November 5, 2010 at 4:13 pm

I have this book but I missed this recipe! It sounds like a winner and you are a good girlfriend :)

7. msihua - November 5, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Ooo.. I didn’t know the Book was out.. i’m sooooo slow…

8. Susan - November 6, 2010 at 3:40 am

I have to agree – I would need a butter chicken and a nice hot naan! Heaven for sure!

Your korma looks delicious!

9. joudie's Mood Food - November 6, 2010 at 7:25 am

Shellie, this looks incredible. The photos are simply wonderful. I am making this for sure. I have mastered the art of making naan and the rice but have never made Korma. Its my husbands favourite! YUMM!

10. Deeba @ PAB - November 7, 2010 at 12:31 am

That’s a gorgeous curry Shellie, and I’m glad you shared the recipe. I am a HUGE fan of pistachios and the charm they add to all things sweet and savoury. Love the curry, and also the sound of the book.

11. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed - November 7, 2010 at 9:05 am

I saw this on Poh’s kitchen too! I made Ragini Dey’s Vindaloo from that episode. This looks fabulous. I love Indian food too but tend to feel a bit ‘urgh’ afterwards when eating out, so I like making it at home. I’ve stocked up on so many spices that I probably wont use with any other cuisine. Must get cooking!

12. deb@bearheadsoup - November 7, 2010 at 9:21 am

The korma looks really good. Can’t wait to get Poh’s book, I’ve really enjoyed her TV show.

13. Ellie (Almost Bourdain) - November 7, 2010 at 6:38 pm

What an amazing korma curry! I have been eying this cookbook. Now I just have to buy it. Thanks for sharing.

14. Anna Johnston - November 8, 2010 at 7:49 am

Yep, big fan of Poh’s too. I’m with you Shellie…, give me a beautifully cooked Butter Chicken & I’m in heaven…, but this looks pretty awesome too.

15. hollypop - November 8, 2010 at 1:55 pm

poh is so cute! i love her.
    this dish looks amazing. yum yum. i love creamy curries.

16. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - November 8, 2010 at 11:22 pm

I don’t blame you – butter chicken, rice and naan is pretty hard to go past, so well done for branching out!

There’s no other little salty reward quite like a pistachio salty reward :)

17. Susan - November 9, 2010 at 11:48 am

I was just in the bookshop the other day flicking through this book and thought that would be a great recipe to try. Glad that you posted the recipe, so I can now try it, although it is on my long list of books to get.

18. Sweets By Vicky - November 9, 2010 at 9:07 pm

I had a huge Indian feast over the weekend and since it was vegetarian, we weren’t having any chicken korma. Now i just really want this…to feel like my Indian feast is complete. :)

• Iron Chef Shellie - November 9, 2010 at 9:24 pm

I’ll been having an Indian feast one day soon with my friends who are vego, so I can’t wait to crack out a few awesome dishes at once!