White Chocolate & Macadamia Cupcakes

“Having recently started a new job, I haven’t had much time in the kitchen. So I scheduled baking time in my diary for Saturday morning. Having wanting to bake something from the new Donna Hay magazine, but finding I was missing at least 1 ingredient for every recipe I wanted to try, I thought I’d...”

White Chocolate & Macadamia Cupcakes

White Chocolate & Macadamia Cupcakes

Having recently started a new job, I haven’t had much time in the kitchen. So I scheduled baking time in my diary for Saturday morning. Having wanting to bake something from the new Donna Hay magazine, but finding I was missing at least 1 ingredient for every recipe I wanted to try, I thought I’d whip out another book from my ever growing library for an alternative; I was in the mood for cupcakes!

These were delicious. I chopped my macadamias rather coarsely, so the cupcakes had lots of crunch to them. I had quite a few taste testers for this recipe, but I didn’t tell them the flavour. My aunty picked up that it was macadamia and white chocolate. Where as I had trouble tasting the white chocolate. This could have been because I didn’t have many white chocolate chunks the the cupcakes I tried.

I adorned them with these cute buttons I picked up from Donna Hay’s range at David Jones. Billy from A Table For Two asked if they were for a baby shower. They weren’t on this occassion, but should one of my friends get knocked up, I’ll whip up a batch for their baby shower!

White Chocolate & Macadamia Cupcakes

185g unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
3 eggs
1 cup self-raising flour
1/4 cup plain flour
125ml milk
100g white chocolate, chopped
80g macadamia nuts, chopped
ready-made icing decorations, such as buttons by Donna Hay

Royal Icing (frosting)
2 cups icing sugar, sifted
2 egg whites

1. Preheat the oven to 180Β°C / 160Β°C fan-forced. Line 12 standard muffin holes with paper cases.

2. Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla together with electric beaters until light and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift the flours together and fold in alternately with the milk, chocolate and macadamia.

3. Divide the mixture evenly among the cases. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of a cake. Transfer onto a wire rack to cool.

4. To make the royal icing, beat the icing sugar and eggs whites together for 5 minutes until white and glossy. Decorate each cake with the icing and little icing decorations.

Makes 12.

Voila! Bon AppΓ©tit!

White Chocolate & Macadamia Cupcakes

Comments

22 comments on “White Chocolate & Macadamia Cupcakes
  1. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - October 28, 2009 at 11:41 am

Gorgeous stuff Shellie! And I absolutely love the styling, it's perfect for these cupcakes πŸ˜€

2. A Girl Called E - October 28, 2009 at 12:01 pm

holy CRAP i love these!!
    those buttons are so sweet and white chocolate is my favourite.
    will have to give them a go :)

3. Sarah - October 28, 2009 at 12:06 pm

wow – those buttons are so cute! they look really delicious too – I love anything with white chocolate!

4. Dee @ Not a 1950's Housewife - October 28, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Wow Shellie these look fantastic! Loving the buttons.
    I have my sister in law's baby shower next month….I think these are now on the menu.
    Great job!

5. ms s loveridge - October 28, 2009 at 1:40 pm

wowww super cute! :))) the buttons r definitely great find πŸ˜‰

6. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - October 28, 2009 at 2:07 pm

omg your colour coordination is outstanding! So pretty!

Call me an idiot but why do cute edible buttons signify a baby shower? (which reminds me.. I had a dream last night I was a doctor doing a caesarean and I kept stuffing it up! Gah, too many of my friends are having babies!)

7. A Table For Two - October 28, 2009 at 2:25 pm

but dont you agree is perfect for baby showers?! LOL
    hmmm…. maybe a crane holding a baby in a napsack next time? πŸ˜‰

8. Esz - October 28, 2009 at 5:19 pm

What a great flavour combination! I know my boyfriend will go mad for these. I'm adding them to my list of things to bake πŸ˜€

9. Alana - October 28, 2009 at 7:43 pm

These are so cute!! (But I hope you won't be making them for me for many years yet haha!)

10. Fiona - October 28, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Sweet little buttons!

11. A cupcake or two - October 28, 2009 at 9:09 pm

They are so beautiful. Those buttons are adorable. I bet they were super delicious.

12. clubnilirony - October 28, 2009 at 9:42 pm

They look amazing and I LOVE the buttons!!

13. Iron Chef Shellie - October 28, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Hi Lorraine – Thanks darl =) I thought so too!

Hi A Girl Called E – LOL! I love your reaction!! Thanks for the link up too :)

Hi Sarah – They are really cute aren't they? I'm slowly learning to love white chocolate πŸ˜›

Hi Dee – Thanks hun =) Oh brilliant! I'm sure they will be a hit at the baby shower!

Hi Mrs S Loveridge – Thanks! I'm so glad I used them, everyone seems to love them!

Hi Conor – awww shucks! I'm not sure. But buttons, pastel baby colours = cuteness :P… that dream sounds like a nightmare!!

Hi A Table For Two – I do think it's perfect for baby showers! The thought hadn't even occurred to me, until you mentioned it. That crane idea is way too cute!

Hi Esz – Ah! Brilliant! I hope they turn out well, just like that chocolate and coconut cake =)

Hi Alana – I know =) … and yes, me too! Marriage first love:P

Hi Fiona – They were sweet, and sweet to eat too πŸ˜‰

Hi A Cupcake or Two – Thank you! They were pretty damn delicious =)

Hi Clubnilirony – Thanks! The buttons are the stars of the post it seems!

14. Maria@TheGourmetChallenge - October 29, 2009 at 11:09 am

oh man how cute are they!!! I just adore the liners too! You know, I prefer the coarser nuttiness! More flavor and more to chew on!

15. Iron Chef Shellie - October 29, 2009 at 11:24 am

Hi Maria – Oh I know!! Donna Hay liners too πŸ˜‰

16. muffinsareuglycupcakes - October 29, 2009 at 8:56 pm

ahh. love that combo of white choc & macadamia!
    awesome in cookies too.
    love those cupcakes to bits.
    as cute as a button πŸ˜›

17. Iron Chef Shellie - October 30, 2009 at 8:46 am

Hi Muffinsareuglycupcakes – First of all, awesome name! Thanks =) They are mega cute πŸ˜›

18. Ellie - October 30, 2009 at 4:42 pm

I was eying the Donna Hay's buttons for a long time. They look so good on your cupcake!!!

19. 3 hungry tummies - November 1, 2009 at 3:15 pm

nice looking little cupcakes!!!

20. Iron Chef Shellie - November 5, 2009 at 9:54 pm

Hi Ellie – Thanks darl! I'm glad I used them, everyone is loving them!

Hi 3 Hungry Tummies – Many thanks =D

21. Betty - November 9, 2009 at 9:23 am

these are WAY TOO CUTE!

i'm loving your blog, but there are so many posts my net is like just dying from all the picture loading haha, will come back later :)

22. Iron Chef Shellie - November 9, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Hi Betty – awww! sorry about that! Hope to see you back here soon!
    x