Hot Cross Buns

“My first batch of hot cross buns ever…and they were a success! I was going to do Nigella Lawson’s recipe, but hers looked all flat and lifeless. And every other recipe I read, looked like way too much work! I was pretty sure Donna Hay had a recipe and I’m glad she did. Like most...”

Recipes | April 7, 2009

Hot Cross Buns

My first batch of hot cross buns ever…and they were a success!

I was going to do Nigella Lawson’s recipe, but hers looked all flat and lifeless. And every other recipe I read, looked like way too much work! I was pretty sure Donna Hay had a recipe and I’m glad she did. Like most of her recipes, this one was easy.

I felt that Donna Hay’s recipe didn’t include enough mixed fruit so I added in LOTS more. I have made alterations in the recipe to about 2.5 cups of mixed fruit, but you can add more or less depending on how fruity you like your buns.

I feared they were going to be as hard as rocks but they weren’t. They were surprisingly soft and delicious! The spices were right, the flavour was there, and I’m so glad they were a success. I might try choc chip ones next time!
Hot Cross Buns

½ cup (75g) plain (all-purpose) flour
⅓ cup (80ml) water

Glaze
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon powdered gelatine
¼ cup (60ml) water

1. Combine the yeast, sugar and milk in a bowl. Set aside for 5-10 minutes or until bubbles form on the surface.

2. Combine the flour, mixed spice, cinnamon, butter, egg, extra sugar, sultanas, mixed peel and yeast mixture in a large bowl. Mix with a butter knife until a sticky dough forms. Knead on a lightly floured surface for 5–10 minutes or until it feels smooth and elastic when pressed. Place in an oiled bowl, cover with a tea towel and stand in a warm place for 30–40 minutes or until doubled in size.

3. Lightly knead the dough again, divide into 12 pieces and roll into balls. Place in a 23cm-square cake tin lined with non-stick baking paper. Cover with a clean tea towel and set aside in a warm place for 25–30 minutes or until doubled in size.

4. Preheat oven to 200ºC (390ºF). To make the crosses, combine the flour and water to make a smooth paste. Place in a piping bag** and pipe crosses onto the buns. Bake for 30–35 minutes or until well browned and springy to touch.

5. To make the glaze, combine the sugar, gelatine and water in a saucepan over medium heat and stir for 2 minutes or until dissolved. Brush warm buns with the glaze and serve with butter.

* You will need this amount of yeast because of the amount of sugar in the recipe.
** To make a piping bag, fill a ziplock bag with the cross mixture and snip off one corner.

Makes 12.

Voila! Bon Appétit!

Comments

13 comments on “Hot Cross Buns
  1. chocolatesuze - April 7, 2009 at 10:55 pm

wow those look amazing! the boy loves hot cross buns but im too lazy to make them heh have you see the hot cross donuts at krispy kreme?

2. Iron Chef Shellie - April 8, 2009 at 8:26 am

Thanks Chocolate Suze =]
    I haven’t seen the krisy kreme hot cross donuts yet. I try and avoid that place cos I feel like I put on weight just looking at them! haha I will check them out soon!
    x

3. Krista - April 8, 2009 at 9:32 am

Yum- nice one chick. They look DELICIOUS!

4. Alana - April 8, 2009 at 9:34 am

yum yum yum yum yum!

5. Cindy - April 8, 2009 at 9:49 am

They look great (especially for a first go)! Well done. :-)

6. Iron Chef Shellie - April 8, 2009 at 10:01 am

Hi Krista!
    Thanks! They are pretty delicious if I may say so myself 😛

Hi Alana!
    hehehe I love the yum yum yum song!!

Hi Cindy!
    Thank you!! I was impressed they looked so good too!

7. Kyla - April 8, 2009 at 8:48 pm

These look so nice I will have to overcome my fear of cooking with yeast and have a go myself!
    Actually they look much nicer than the picture on Donna Hay’s website…sorry Donna

8. Iron Chef Shellie - April 8, 2009 at 9:49 pm

Hi Kyla!
    I agree, Donna Hay’s website photo isn’t the best (sorry Donna as well!) but the one in her Modern Classics 2 book looks heaps better!

I had a yeast phobia too but seriously, all you do is put it in a bowl with other stuff and wait for it to foam! too easy!!

Good luck for when you try it!
    x

9. Rachel - April 9, 2009 at 11:08 am

Hi Shellie! These look great and good call on the extra fruit. Can never have too much in my view.

I’m hoping to make them now and will let you know how they go!

10. Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella - April 9, 2009 at 2:40 pm

Yum they look great! And I think they should be baked all year round they’re so good! 😀

11. Iron Chef Shellie - April 9, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Hi Rachel!
    Never enough fruit in those hot cross buns!
    I hope yours turn out just as well, if not better =)
    x

Hi Lorraine!
    Thank you =) Yours looks amazing too! I agree, all year round for buns!!
    x