Apple & Cinnamon Tea Cake

“I decided to bake my co-workers a cake as they always enjoy my cakes and I always enjoy the compliments that follow. I had some sad looking apples in the fruit bowl and realised I hadn’t posted one of my favorite apple cake recipes, so here it is for you all. Not only does it...”

Recipes | October 8, 2008
Apple & Cinnamon Tea Cake

Apple & Cinnamon Tea Cake

I had some sad looking apples in the fruit bowl and realised I hadn’t posted one of my favorite apple cake recipes, so here it is for you all. Not only does it look professional every time you make it, it’s always so moist and lovely. Perfect with a cup of tea, if you have one handy at the time!

Apple & Cinnamon Tea Cake
Donna Hay

185g (6.5oz) butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2/3 cup caster sugar

3 eggs

1.5 cups plain flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk

topping:
4 small green apples, peeled, halved and cored
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 cup apricot jam, warmed

1. Preheat the oven to 160°C (320°F). Place the butter, cinnamon and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy.

2. Gradually add the eggs and beat well. Sift the flour and baking powder over the butter mixture, add the milk and stir until combined. Line the base of a 22cm (8.5 inch) springform tin with non-stick baking paper and spoon in the mixture.

3. To make the topping, cut a row of deep slits in each apple half and arrange over the top of the cake mixture. Combine the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the apples.

4. Bake for 50 minutes. Brush the cake with warm apricot jam and return to the oven for 10 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.

Serves 8-10.

Voila! Bon Appétit!

Apple & Cinnamon Tea Cake

Comments

7 comments on “Apple & Cinnamon Tea Cake
  1. Katie - October 8, 2008 at 8:48 pm

Yuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

2. Jo - October 9, 2008 at 1:29 am

It does look as if the “sad looking” apples turned out to be a swan. Lovely looking tea cake.

3. Iron Chef Shellie - October 9, 2008 at 9:03 am

Katie: it is yummm!! =P
    x

Jo: yes, nothing but a bit of baking to make the saddest looking fruit delicious again! Thanks =D
    x

4. SoRMuiJAi - October 9, 2008 at 11:11 pm

Looks fantastic! Especially the apples!

Here’s a little tip to make it easier to cut the apples next time. Put a wooden spoon or chopstick on each side of the apple before cutting. The chopstick will stop the knife going all the way through the apple! 😉

5. Iron Chef Shellie - October 10, 2008 at 7:47 am

Thanks Sormuijai, but I hate to inform you that I had no problem cutting the apples, done it many times before 😉

6. Kyla - October 13, 2008 at 8:08 pm

Hi Shellie
    Just wondering how much baking powder is needed
    Great Blog
    Kyla

7. Iron Chef Shellie - October 13, 2008 at 8:13 pm

Kyla – Oh deary me, i’m getting terrible at copying recipes.
    1/2 a teaspoon of baking powder!!