Magnolia Bakery Red Velvet Cupcakes

“Oh how I do love red velvet cake. I'm not getting to New York anytime soon, so I've decided to try Magnolia Bakery's recipe down under.”

Magnolia Red Velvet Feature Image
Magnolia Bakery Red Velvet Cupcakes

Magnolia Bakery Red Velvet Cupcakes

New York.

One day, I aim to get there. My list of places to eat is already way too long, let alone all the sights, sounds and smells…. *slips off into dream land*

But until then, I’ll just have to try and recreate the classics at home, like the famous Magnolia Bakery’s cakes. Made famous by a few TV shows, but one of my all time favourites, Sex & The City.

I tried to do the signature Magnolia swirl on my cupcakes as it looked so easy on the youtube video, but I couldn’t master it. I guess the woman was right when she says it takes 40 hours to master the swirl. So instead I whipped out the piping bag and did my best piping effort. Not perfect but not awful.

Magnolia Bakery Red Velvet Cupcakes

3 ΒΌ cups of plain flour
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 Β½ cups sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
6 tbsp red food coloring
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 175Β°C. Grease and lightly flour 2 cupcake pans.

In a small bowl, sift the cake flour and set aside. In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In a small bowl, whisk together the red food colouring, cocoa, and vanilla. Add to the batter and beat well.

In a measuring cup, stir the salt into the milk. Add to the batter in three parts alternating with the flour. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated, but do not overbeat. In a small bowl, stir together the cider vinegar and baking soda. Add to the batter and mix well. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl, making sure the ingredients are well blended and the batter is smooth.

Divide the batter among the prepared pans. Arrange the oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and bake the cupcakes, switching positions of the pans halfway through baking, until a tester comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool the cupcakes in the pan 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool completely on a rack before icing.

Cream Cheese Frosting

500g cream cheese
3/4 cup of butter, softened
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups icing sugar, sifted

1. Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth
2. Add sugar and vanilla extract and beat on high until light, fluffy and consistent
3. Fill a piping bag and generously spread over the cupcakes.

Makes 24 cupcakes.

Magnolia Bakery Red Velvet Cupcakes

Comments

22 comments on “Magnolia Bakery Red Velvet Cupcakes
  1. Hannah - July 30, 2012 at 8:53 pm

60 hours, and I will be boarding the plane in Sydney for New York, for my fifth visit since 2007.

You have to get there. That place is like starlight in your veins.

2. Martyna @ Wholesome Cook - July 30, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I love New York… you have to go! Sooner rather than later… ah the memories, So many sleepless nights, sore feet, ice skating in Central Park, Madonna at MSG, broken down aircon on the subway, hours stuck in traffic. Oddly enough I had not tried these cupcakes. Perhaps in October, that’s if we make it to the East side. Yours look perfect though!

3. Michelle - July 30, 2012 at 11:27 pm

i like their red velvet cheesecake

4. Daisy@Nevertoosweet - July 31, 2012 at 8:57 am

These look amazing Shellie and YAY you posted 3 sweet/dessert recipes in a ROW hehe so happy πŸ˜›

Thanks for posting this recipe! Because unfortunately, I didn’t like Magonolia when I went to NY, I don’t know if it was my store or what was wrong…but i found the cake batter really dry. But then I’ve heard so many people swear by the recipe hehe so i’m super happy that you’ve posted it because now I can try for myself YAY!

LOL piping is SO difficult! i can never get it right ~ thank gosh i’m going to a cupcake decorating class soon yay!

5. Tina @ bitemeshowme - July 31, 2012 at 9:28 am

Red Velvet is my ultimate favourite, and with that cream cheese frosting it is pure bliss! New York City is everything everyone makes it out to be. I’m sad it’s not in my schedule this time around, but it sure will be next time.

6. CheezyK - July 31, 2012 at 9:42 am

So, do you feel like sticking your tongue out and blowing raspberries at the previous commenters as much as I do right now πŸ˜›

I want an apartment with a roof top overlooking Central Park … that’s not asking too much is it? In the meantime, these cupcakes look delicious and will have to suffice! πŸ˜€

7. Julie - July 31, 2012 at 10:04 am

oh baby those cupcakes look heavenly! Will give this recipe a go :)

8. Nic@diningwithastud - July 31, 2012 at 10:55 am

Such a great job! I’d buy these in a second!

9. Jennifer (Delicieux) - July 31, 2012 at 11:26 am

Those cupcakes look so good Shellie. We didn’t get to visit the Magnolia Bakery on our visit to New York last year, but it’s definitely on the list for our honeymoon in New York in 5 weeks time. I can’t wait. Let me know if there is anything you would like while I’m in New York…apart from packing you into my suitcase πŸ˜›

10. Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef - July 31, 2012 at 3:42 pm

When I saw this I had a quiet chuckle to myself and said, “what do yankees know about red velvet?” I grew up in the Northeast of the US and didn’t have red velvet until I moved to the South for uni. :) Southerners know their red velvet.. and that’s how a mouthful feels.. velvety.

I think your cupcakes look smashing!

11. Amy @ Food Crush - August 1, 2012 at 6:41 am

Guess what? I’m going to NYC with my best friend in September! I am planning to go to Magnolia when I’m there and eat as many cupcakes as possible! Love your photos…. so pretty.

12. Thanh - August 1, 2012 at 7:56 am

One day we will both get to New York. Until then, let’s just eat Magnolia Bakery cupcakes. Great job with the piping. Looks great.

13. Kristy @ Southern In-Law - August 1, 2012 at 7:24 pm

These look so good, Shellie! I remember in year seven, I made red velvet cupcakes because I’d had them in the US and no one knew what they were – My teacher even said it was a horrible idea. Now everyone knows what they are!!

14. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake - August 1, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I’ve been to the westcoast of USA but never made it to NY…so unfortunate! I would love to go one day too…

Love the looks of those cupcakes…I don’t think I’d ever be able to master the swirl either…neither am I a good piper. :(

15. Lianne - August 1, 2012 at 9:13 pm

those cupcakes look so good babe! (: Red velvet is one of the flavours that top my list of favourites! Love how you piped your icing too! Too pretty! xx

16. Carole - August 2, 2012 at 8:06 am

I’ve been to New York, but never Magnolia Bakery. I wouldn’t worry about the swirl–these look great.

17. April - August 2, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I love red velvet cupcakes… actually I love anything with cream cheese frosting! I can’t believe I missed the chance to try a Magnolia cupcake when I was in New York! Do you think it was too sweet? American recipes are really sweet normally!

18. Sara (Belly Rumbles) - August 3, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Signature swirl or not, they look stunning!

19. Agnes - August 5, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I haven’t been able to master the swirl either – it’s SO HARD. Your piping looks fine though :)

20. Vien - August 10, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Magnolia Bakery is definitely one of my to go list too!
    ps. I love your tea cup!! Where did you get it from??